• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Uggg, Leupold Mk4 LR/T has black specs in FOV

The_end

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2006
PHX, AZ
I found out today that my Leupy has horrible black "specks" all over the entire FOV. I've had this scope for quite a while but rarely used it. There are no marks whatsoever on either of the outside lenses. I sent a service request to Leupold today and it'll probably be a few days before I receive a response but can anyone take an educated guess of what the hell would cause this to happen out of no where?

Back story on the scope if anyone cares: I bought a new Leupold Mk4 LR/T 4.5-14x illum Mil Dot scope from a vendor here a couple years ago. Worked great but I had no clue what I was buying and didn't need such a high magnification scope to learn to shoot precision. I used it a few times here and there then took it off and put it in my safe and haven't had it on a weapon or out of the safe in about 6 months to a year. I thought I'd eventually build a long range rifle but ended up giving up on it. I decided to sell the thing and found a local buyer. Met up with him today and he pointed out the specs through out the FOV that were hard to miss on a bright sunny day. I felt horribly about wasting his time but I'm glad he caught it and I didn't sell him a defective $1,000 scope.

And it really sucks because I was going to buy my buddies M1A with the money this weekend
frown.gif

Re: Uggg, Leupold Mk4 LR/T has black specs in FOV

Like I said, no debris of any kind on the lens. Even with a thorough cleaning, not a speck moved.

And I don't know jack about mold but can it grow in a 100% nitrogen environment? I live in Phoenix, I haven't seen mold since I moved here.

Take the scope tap it in the palm of your hand a few times and see if the specks move and settle to the bottom

Beat it on a phone book (at least that's what you can do with USO's that have such funk appear to knock it off).

Or just send it to Leupold.

Uncle Sam sent a large number of scopes back to Leupold for this very problem. It apparently "happened" in transit with an entire shipment of brand new scopes.
(Yes, Leupold is replacing the scopes)

One theory is that the internal sealant/loctite type material is somehow doing it. It adheres to the lenses and can't be readily cleaned off.

I suspect that Leupold will take care of you without any hassle!

I spent some time looking through the glass and drawing a little picture where the biggest specs were, then beat the thing for a while and nothing moved. I hurt my hand and dented a phone book... these scopes are pretty strong lol. I can't remember which vendor I purchased it from here, it was a group buy quite a while ago. We'll see what Leupold says. I'll report back with their findings and remedy.

I have two MK4's, bought them both at the same time.....they both have specks when you look through them. The spots appear to be in focus when the reticle is in focus, so it's definitely on the inside. I just mounted them and started using them, but I agree.......it's pretty F#%ked up!

keep us updated on how Leupold handles this, I am interested to see if they tell you to pound sand or actually take care of you.

I've never had problems with them refusing service; fixing it properly can be an issue though. Sometimes you need to call them and explain the problem in detail.

I had the same problem in a 3.5-10 x 40. Sent it back to Leupold, and it came back perfect. No explanation, just a good to go scope...