• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes UK twist on SIII vs PST - Input needed

Matthais_31

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
High Wycombe, UK
Hi all,

I know the SIII vs PST has been discussed at length, but I feel being in the UK with our sometimes bizarre pricing puts a unique spin on things.

First some background - I have been using a first generation 4-14 FFP Falcon Menace for the past three years. It has served me well but the finiky eyebox/thick reticle are starting to grate on me.

I shoot targets up to 1000 yards but only ever at a single, known distance at a time. I also like shooting mcqueens (think whack a mole at either 200 or 300 yards). As a result, I don't feel like I need FFP, as neat as it is.

Having read up on both the SIII 6-24 LRMOA and the PST 6-24 SFP, the general consensus is that the SIII has better glass/eyebox, whilst the PST has better turrets and features. In the UK the sightron is $300 more expensive than the PST ( 1350 vs 1050). Please do not recommend other scopes in these price brackets, as ALL scopes are sufficiently more expensive in the UK than they are in the US. I'm just trying to give an idea of the relative price difference.

Whilst I think the PST's glass would be good enough, I am perhaps overly concerned about it having a picky eyebox/varying eye relief depending on magnification given my experience with the Falcon. That is my primary concern when picking between the two.

So that is my dilemma - is the SIII worth the extra $300 to ensure better glass/eyebox?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Matthais_31

Re: UK twist on SIII vs PST - Input needed

For me...I really appreciate better glass...especially when shooting out to 1000 yards. I also appreciate a very forgiving eye box. Nothing is more irritating than having to shift around to find the "Sweet Spot" as it were...simply messes up ones routine when addressing the rifle. These little things start adding up to problems with scores ( if shooting competition ) or connecting with fury vermin.

The way I would look at it....the $300 difference starts looking pretty small when take into account the differences. The price difference might be softened by a higher resale value...should you ever decide to sell the scope.

I'm a fan of both scope manufacturers. I own scopes from both companies. My guess is you'd be happier with the Sightron. The $300 difference is pretty small if you are going to be more satisfied with its performance. Especially if you think you'll be keeping the scope for many years. $300 can be saved, over time, in other areas of ones life.

Good Luck,

Wayne

P.S.

My Sightron SIII 8-32x compared very favorably to my NightForce 8-32x BR scope...at least for my eyes. I'm thinking Sightron is a very strong product for its price point....Vortex is also...but I think they are a slight tic behind Sightron.

I have a 6-24 SII LRMOA and it is the best scope I have. To be clear, I don't have $87,000 in glass like so many floating around the Hide, but I do have a clunky old Mark 4 Leupold which is a great optic (yes I know it isn't a NF, S&B, USO, etc etc) but it is great glass. Comparing turrets between the SIII and the PST I don't know how they could be better on the PST. I think the click on the SIII is far better on the SIII than my Leupy. Now your $300 issue....I have a good friend with a PST and personally, to my eye, I don't think the glass was anywhere close to the SIII--to me that would be worth 3 bills.

seriously a Falcon Menace for 1000yrd work??

That is a $50 buck airgun scope at best!

You seriously need to get a grip on just what a quality optic is before worrying about FFP second?

Thanks for the input thus far - confirming my thoughts toward the SIII.

I have only shot out to 800 with it thus far but have access to 1000. Either way its a fairly simple job. Dial in adjustments, quarter target and go go on the boom button. Obviously its not ideal, thus the look to upgrade!

Cheers,

Matthais_31

1350 us dollars or tower of london money?

edit: between those two I think the sightron is better built/better glass but the PST has some nice features like zero stop which is nice if you are shooting longrange and have to crank 2-3 revolutions. Also there are US dealers who will export to UK I think Libertyoptics and Sportoptics can but I am not 100% sure.

Hi BCP,

They do indeed export to the UK, but the problem is that warranty (with Sightron at least) is then rendered null and void. You have to use the in-country distributor to take advantage of the warrenty
frown.gif

Nice idea though! And money wise I was talking US $