• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultimate AR build

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    I have a great barrel and am interested in building the ultimate AR. I have a few I think are very good and amazingly accurate. I just want to build one myself.
    So, What Upper/Lower? BCG? I already know what barrel I want and have it. I am thinking Giessel trigger, not sure on forend. Stock? DI not piston. Thank you in advance for the advice.

Re: Ultimate AR build

Seems you already have one of the most key components... But, as for upper/lower, a billet set is maybe the direction you'd want to go. Seekins and Mega both make great sets, and Spikes Tactical's billets are made by Seekins too. I've heard good things about Giessel triggers but can't speak through experience. Good luck.

You'll get a dozen different answers if you get a single one, as to what components you should select to build your rifle.

In MY personal opinion, if you're gonna build "the ultimate AR" then you'll spend pretty close to what you'd pay for a GAP-10 and if it were MY money and I wanted an impingement rifle, the GAP-10 would be at the top of my list.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2012-custom-rifles/ga-precision-g.a.-precision-gap-10-.html

gap-10.jpg

gap10-3.jpg

Should have clarified, AR15. And I am not doing it to save money. I just want to do the ultimate build.

That's like asking how to build the ultimate Chevy or Ford. Everyone has different tastes, purpose and opinions. I'd go to your favorite online store and go from there. Rainier Arms is a good place to start. The problems is actually finding parts that are available, AR gear is in high demand right now.

I would do:

-Mega Monolithic upper/lower combo
    -Daniel Defense handguard if not going monolithic route
    -Wilson Combat TTU or Geissele trigger
    -JP adjustable gas block
    -Y/M BCG
    -Magpul furniture (UBR, MOE+ and PMAGs)
    -PWS buffer tube
    -Surefire FH/MB
    -TROY BUIS
    -USO, S&B, NF or Vortex Razor optics
    -NF unimount or LaRue LT-158
    -Atlas bipod
    -TAB sling
    -1,000,000,000rds of 77gr FGMM

Thank all of you. I know the specs as far as scope, cal, barrel, trigger, suppressor. Just looking for the rest of the stuff. U&L, mounts, buffer, stock etc BCG, coating etc. I saw the Seekings site. Very nice. I am in no hurry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should have clarified, AR15. And I am not doing it to save money. I just want to do the ultimate build. </div></div>
    You may want to be careful about calling anything 'ultimate'.
    Lots of alternatives for a lot of reasons make a build can vary by a wide margin and still be a decent one ~ whether it is ultimate or not is another matter.

UBR stock, grip is personal pref I like MIAD, MI SS Gen 2 handgaurd is customizable and ergonomic as it gets, Troy BUIS, Spikes buffer, Surefire brake if suppressing, PWS brake if not, receivers hardly matter as long as they hold the parts get a matched set so they're tight and look right.

starting with your barrel, well, lets hope its thick enough....

turn the barrel down for an OPS INC 12th model collar so you can set it up for a 12th model suppressor.

Free float the barrel with your favorite rail (Daniel Defense would be my pick)

Get a billet upper and lower that are matched to fit perfectly together. Lap the front of the upper with a AR lapping tool.

Hand select ever spring and every pin in your lower parts kit.

Put a Giessle trigger in it.

Get a bolt matched to your barrel.

Youngs National Match M-16 stainless bolt carrier with key (get the key staked).

UBR stock with the new JP recoil buffer.

bipod, bubble level and a 2400$ USO scope
    smile.gif

UBR buttstock, Seekins upper/lower receivers, PWS buffer tube, Tubb buffer spring, Slash buffer, BAD ambi safety, Giess trigger, MIAD grip, Noveske/VLTOR slim forearm, KAC rear micro BUIS, TROY front BUIS, FAILZERO BCG, Norgon release, Surefire brake, Badger Ord. gasblock, Larue scope mount, Colt LPK, H&K mags, by the what barrel/scope/caliber are u running?

Mk12 all day long
    but a kac m110 wouldn't dissapoint me either

Like that gap slingshot. Kinda looks like a pof.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UBR buttstock, Seekins upper/lower receivers, PWS buffer tube, Tubb buffer spring, Slash buffer, BAD ambi safety, Giess trigger, MIAD grip, Noveske/VLTOR slim forearm, KAC rear micro BUIS, TROY front BUIS, FAILZERO BCG, Norgon release, Surefire brake, Badger Ord. gasblock, Larue scope mount, Colt LPK, H&K mags, by the what barrel/scope/caliber are u running?

</div></div>

Apparently I own the Ultimate AR
    grin.gif
    Bertman you pretty much nailed my entire build except for my Timney trigger (Im a single stage guy) and my seekins rail..

68S.jpg

It's hard to say without you telling us what you'll use it for, and what the specs of your barrel are. I prefer the SPR (18") builds myself, but lots of people choose differently.

Although I just built a 22" on a VLTOR mur upper with a carbon fiber wrapped barrel, and I have to say it's pretty cool and it still weighs less than an 18" spr contour.

It really depends on what you do with it as to how much weight is acceptable, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwillits505</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UBR buttstock, Seekins upper/lower receivers, PWS buffer tube, Tubb buffer spring, Slash buffer, BAD ambi safety, Giess trigger, MIAD grip, Noveske/VLTOR slim forearm, KAC rear micro BUIS, TROY front BUIS, FAILZERO BCG, Norgon release, Surefire brake, Badger Ord. gasblock, Larue scope mount, Colt LPK, H&K mags, by the what barrel/scope/caliber are u running?

</div></div>

grin.gif
    Bertman you pretty much nailed my entire build except for my Timney trigger (Im a single stage guy) and my seekins rail..

68S.jpg
    </div></div>

Just curious if you could spec your build out? Is that the spikes SAR rail? 13.2"? and what length barrel? thanks

Black Rain Ordnance Nor-Guard Matched Billet Receiver Set
    Palmetto State Armory LPK (includes Magpul PRS, Geissele DMR and Ergo Ambi Grip w/ Palm Shelf)
    Enidine Fixed Buttstock AR-RESTOR
    A.R.M.S. S.I.R. #59C BiLevel Rifle-Length Free-Float Handguard
    White Oak Armament 18" SPR .223 Wylde Barrel w/ Rifle-Length Gas System
    FailZero BCG
    KNS Anti-Rotating Pins
    Precision Reflex M84 Gas Buster Charging Handle w/ Big Latch
    Spikes Tactical Punisher Ejection Door Cover
    Surefire Brake/Suppressor Adapter
    Surefire 60rd Magazine
    Knights Armament Company Front/Rear BUIS
    The Original SR Micro-Sight

I would use noveske Gen 2 lower, noveske barrel and rail with vltor mur upper with a stock of your choice.

Thank you for the great info.
    To answer some questions.
    Cal is .223
    Barrel is 18" Baer varmint, fluted and threaded for AWC TI can.
    I am just looking for U&Ls along with forend and internal parts. Want a stock that collapses, M4 type.
    Use is varmint shooting to 800 yards along with target shooting. Weight is a factor as I carry it for many miles, daily Sept-Feb. But I like heavy rifles. 10# is fine.
    Right now I am shooting a HCS M12 mod one and it is about perfect. I only changed the trigger to Giessel and LMT SOP MOD stock. Removed the OPS adaptors and capped it for the AWC TI can. NF contract scope 2.5-10x24 MIL scope. It is about the best I have used so far.

I looked at the Seekings site and see 3 different AR receivers? What is the difference? Also on switchblocks, which one? Or is there a downside to them? I do not want to hurt accuracy.
    Thank you

The ultimate? Seekins lower...just cuz it is so dang kool looking. And the ambi-bolt release is very handy.

JP PSC-11 upper. This gives you the side charger which is pretty unique...the adjustable gas block...and a very accurate barrel. Plus you can go with a light contour barrel and add their heat sink for superior cooling over a heavy contour barrel, but still is light weight. Info here: http://jprifles.com/1.2.1_PSC_11.php

Stock of choice. Either a AR Gold or other top shelf trigger. Top it with glass or sights for the role you will be using the rifle in and your set.

Here is my Seekins/JP 14 1/2" "traveling carbine": http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads....914#Post3179914

Post up when you get your together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inzaneriderz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwillits505</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UBR buttstock, Seekins upper/lower receivers, PWS buffer tube, Tubb buffer spring, Slash buffer, BAD ambi safety, Giess trigger, MIAD grip, Noveske/VLTOR slim forearm, KAC rear micro BUIS, TROY front BUIS, FAILZERO BCG, Norgon release, Surefire brake, Badger Ord. gasblock, Larue scope mount, Colt LPK, H&K mags, by the what barrel/scope/caliber are u running?

</div></div>

grin.gif

68S.jpg
    </div></div>

Just curious if you could spec your build out? Is that the spikes SAR rail? 13.2"? and what length barrel? thanks </div></div>

Sure--- Ill hit the highlights for ya real quick

first- its a 6.8 SPC

Seekins upper/lower
    PWS carrier
    White Oak 18" Match barrel/bolt 1/11 SPCII
    PWS FSC30 brake
    12" Spikes BAR (Seekins BAR)
    Timney skeleton 3 lb trigger
    Magpul UBR
    Spikes heavy buffer
    Tubb Flat buffer spring
    Magpul MIAD
    BADASS Ambi Safety
    Larue SPR mount
    Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50 illum
    GGG XDS Bipod
    Hell, I even used a Spikes billet mag button because it matches the Seekins Ambi Bolt release!

--- Think that covers most of it
    smile.gif
    --- she shoots 1/4 MoA consistently

I don't know about the rest of the parts but for upper and lower I'd go with the Seekin's billet upper and lowers with the integrated rail mount system.

I wasn't a believer until I got one in my hands, holy cow that Seekins lower is gorgeous. The attention to detail and quality throughout are awesome.

The upper with the integrated rail mount makes it similar to a monolithic upper. The only downside to it is that you are now having to use a seekins rail so it limits your choices.

I second the BRO receivers (Black Rain Ordnance Nor-Guard Matched Billet Receiver Set). They have sickening precise tolerances & its 7076 aluminum. The Nor Guard is nickel boron (kinda like fail zero) & it is insanely tough & has a very low friction coefficient.

Brake....Surefires are a bandwagon thing. Ops Inc are not very efficient but don't throw a lot of blast when using a partner (hence not very efficient). There are others that are dramatically better such as a rolling thunder or SJC Titan.

AR Gold triggers: Like the other guy said, enough good cant be said of them.

Gas block: SYRAC Ordnance. They're so good JP sells them now. No locktite needed & its quick/easy to adjust.

Handguard: PRI

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RufDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I second the BRO receivers (Black Rain Ordnance Nor-Guard Matched Billet Receiver Set). They have sickening precise tolerances & its 7076 aluminum. The Nor Guard is nickel boron (kinda like fail zero) & it is insanely tough & has a very low friction coefficient. </div></div>

I haven't had the opportunity to test the BRO against, say, a MUR for rigidity and accuracy in a .264 LBC-AR or similar build. How does the MUR stack up in a side by side comparison?

I laugh when I see these pictures of picatinny rails running up and down the hand guard. Why? lol.

I would suggest a JP CTR-02. No need to piecemeal from parts. Just get the package. Solid, solid platform. I own one myself and they flat out shoot. With a 1:8 twist on my 223 with 69 gr. Sierra Match Kings I routinely shoot five round groups in the 2's and 3's at 100 yards. And did I mention with the LMOS, adjustable gas block, and brake, they are virtually recoiless? I did a lot of research before buying mine 3 years ago, and without question there is nothing that compares to a JP.

The Vltor MUR is supposed to be a very rigid receiver with thicker walls to help with accuracy so it might compare with the BRO.. At least where receiver flex is concerned.

If you are looking at an adjustable gas block and I don't know why you wouldn't, you should consider a Syrac. Better adjustment system, but I believe they only come in .750. That should work for your barrel though.

Go here: http://www.syracordnance.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Howa4AU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are looking at an adjustable gas block and I don't know why you wouldn't, you should consider a Syrac. Better adjustment system, but I believe they only come in .750. That should work for your barrel though.

Go here: http://www.syracordnance.com/ </div></div>

+1
    as someone said earlier of AR Gold triggers "I cant say enough good about these" Jason (the owner) will offer a larger one soon. If you run an AR, you owe it to yourself to run one of these gas blocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolfish365</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Vltor MUR is supposed to be a very rigid receiver with thicker walls to help with accuracy so it might compare with the BRO.. At least where receiver flex is concerned. </div></div>

Vltor is 7075 aluminum & BRO is 7075, both are T6. Larue uses 7076. The Vltor is also mil slpec (based on their website.

Because the BRO has Norguard, that has to count for something more than the Vltor. The BRO is also supposed to be Mil Spec so that's another plus. The kicker, the thing that really drew me in to the BRO, were the designs. Really great looking, combined with awesome quality, just does it for me. The biohazard logo has an appeal not matched by anything except my Spikes Tactical Punisher lower, then it's a toss up between the two. Thanks Rufdog, you're a goldmine of information!

Usually "builds" aren't nearly worth the time or money over a factory gun.

Were it me, I'd contact a reputable manufacturer, get the style gun I want, add the trigger, grip, and stock that suits you. Spend the rest of the cash on optics and possible a suppressor.

Were I wanting the "ultimate AR", for field shooting, I'd get a Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, or LaRue. I'd put an S&B on top, and pick up a quality suppressor.

I see no advantage in all the billet parts...I've actually run into problems with them myself when it comes to fit between different manufacturers. Often certain grips or magazines won't work at all with some of the billet makers. Just stick with forged parts...you'll never see any difference other than cosmetics.

Yes they nor-guard milled parts. For pics check out "Team Black Rain Ordnance" on FB. I just put up a couple of pics of my nor guard AR10

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Were it me, I'd contact a reputable manufacturer, get the style gun I want, add the trigger, grip, and stock that suits you. Spend the rest of the cash on optics and possible a suppressor. </div></div>

^^ This