• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Ultra 7 questions before purchase

The Godfather

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2010
I’m really torn between the Dominus-cb and the ultra 7…

The ultra 9 has higher back pressure. Does that hold true for the 7?

Is the dominus more durable or would the ultra have similar torture test results?

The ultra 7 has an option for direct thread which, as I understand, is a cb mount permanently installed. Does that mount include baffles to help protect the suppressor or is it just a thread adapter?

Some of the recent tbac videos have placed the db reduction of the 7 and CB very close. One of the rifles I’d like to use this suppressor on is a 8 inch 300blkout. The advantage of the 7 is I could slide part of it under the hand guard.

Couldn't tell you on back pressure. I'd call it identical construction. One is shorter fatter, the other is 1.5" and longer. I doubt you could hear the difference between the two. The direct thread cans all have a standard TBAC brake semi-permanently installed into the can. 2 baffle brake.

Reactions: The Godfather
I think the only reason you will see high back pressure with Ultra TBAC cans is the small diameter. At 1-1/2", you do not have the volume that some large diameter suppressors do.

In my opinion, back pressure is something you are going to get, and going to make adjustments for. It becomes a bigger issue with very short barrels on AR platforms, but very few people look at the Ultra-9 on an SBR.

If you are shooting on bolt gun, I do not think you will notice any difference. If shooting on a gas gun, you may need to make some adjustments, depending on barrel length and dwell time.

I think the only reason you will see high back pressure with Ultra TBAC cans is the small diameter. At 1-1/2", you do not have the volume that some large diameter suppressors do.

In my opinion, back pressure is something you are going to get, and going to make adjustments for. It becomes a bigger issue with very short barrels on AR platforms, but very few people look at the Ultra-9 on an SBR.

If you are shooting on bolt gun, I do not think you will notice any difference. If shooting on a gas gun, you may need to make some adjustments, depending on barrel length and dwell time.

The Ultra7 is a high back pressure design. There are plenty of 1.5" diameter silencers on the market that have lower back pressure. The UL7 was designed for bolt actions rifles so it shouldn't come as a surprise. With that said, the 300 Whisper is a low pressure cartridge and could probably benefit from the added pressure with subs. Where you'll really notice the added back pressure is higher pressure semi autos and faster schedules of fire.

I run a ultra 7 on a 8” 300blk that i hunt with. No issues here, i even run it hard sometimes and what gas i do get in the face don’t bother me any worse than the other cans i run on my ar’s. I have not shot a dominus yet but it looks like a sweet can and will take hat you can throw at it. Determine what the primary use of the can will be and make your decision from there.

For the same input cartridge & barrel length, the 1.5" Ultras will have more internal pressure than the larger Dominuses or the 338 Ultra. If you are talking backpressure on a gas gun on Ultra 7 vs Dominus CB, I mean, the Dominus-CB should have less backpressure in theory but in practice I've never noticed a difference required in tuning or in gas in the face. The Ultras are meant to be very small, light, and efficient-suppressing cans, which in some sense is ideal for bolt guns.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with running an Ultra 5, 7, or 9 on a gas gun. We do it all the time.

Reactions: Holliday
For the same input cartridge & barrel length, the 1.5" Ultras will have more internal pressure than the larger Dominuses or the 338 Ultra. If you are talking backpressure on a gas gun on Ultra 7 vs Dominus CB, I mean, the Dominus-CB should have less backpressure in theory but in practice I've never noticed a difference required in tuning or in gas in the face. The Ultras are meant to be very small, light, and efficient-suppressing cans, which in some sense is ideal for bolt guns.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with running an Ultra 5, 7, or 9 on a gas gun. We do it all the time.
I run a 7 on a 260 gasser with a 20” barrel all the time. It’s awesome.

I have run my Ultra 7 on everything from .223/.224 Valk AR15s, 300BLK AR15 super and sub, .22lr, 6 Dasher bolt, etc. I shot an antelope through it with my Valkyrie on Monday of this week and have used it in competition. I love it, I have ZERO regrets.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers