• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultra light / Light weight DBM bottom metals for R 700 short action

BlastersAreCool

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2018
Michigan
Alright. Ive scoured the interwebs with very little luck on this subject. I am beginning my version of an ultralight Purgatory/ Mammoth Sniper Comp/ Mountain rifle. I created this in hopes that the members of this forum could help me create a one-stop thread on the lightest DBMs on the market. Some DBMs you can find the weight others you cannot. SO, if you have a Remington 700 short action with a detatchable box magazine and would be willing to help out the community and weigh it (grams or ounces) I think more than just myself would appreciate it. Thank you to all who have good suggestions to follow, manufacturer confirmed weights or personally submit the weight of your bottom metal! I will list what I've compiled shortly

The PTG "Stealth" DBM for a Model Seven is 100g, a 700 should be a little heavier for the extra 1/2" between screws. They make one that's flush to the bottom of the stock too. Should be lighter if you want to gamble on PTG's customer service.

Reactions: BlastersAreCool
Magpul bottom metal is 2.4 ounces, cheap and works very well.
Add 2 Magpul aics magazines and your lighter and much cheaper than anything else.

I spend the extra coin on APA now because I've been burned by PTG and their "flush fit" and "BDL" footprint before...

Reactions: LRJammer
I'm not surprised. I had to cut 3g of aluminum off the PTG Model 7 DBM to even fit a factory barreled action. It didn't include any pillars or documentation on pillar height either. I got out the No. 2 pencil and made it work though; just more time fartin' around instead of shooting is all.

Sofar my paper and pen list is awol so this is what I have sofar. This Grayboe M5 DBM weighed in at 11.48 grams or 4.05 oz

Attachments

• 20190420_144127.jpg
    20190420_144127.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
Sofar my paper and pen list is awol so this is what I have sofar. This Grayboe M5 DBM weighed in at 11.48 grams or 4.05 oz

Have any feedback/comparison on the Grayboe M5 DBM vs. the Hawkins M5 DBM? I'm torn between these two DBMs

Not necessarily just a weight comparison but overall opinion.

I went with the greyboe and it appears to be solid for the weight and cannot find anything on the Hawkins or most DBMs for that matter unfortunately

If you are trying to save ounces then don’t use a bottom metal that takes detachable mags.
Right. The thread is about M5 DBMs because not everyone is willing to sacrifice a detachable mag for (insert reason here). Mine is I'm building a lighter weight rifle for the Mammoth, Purgatory and the Real World Sniper challenge competitions. 20% hunting rifle. So for me personally, a BDL is a non starter. Any advice on the lightest M5 DBMs out there and their weight?

Right. The thread is about M5 DBMs because not everyone is willing to sacrifice a detachable mag for (insert reason here). Mine is I'm building a lighter weight rifle for the Mammoth, Purgatory and the Real World Sniper challenge competitions. 20% hunting rifle. So for me personally, a BDL is a non starter. Any advice on the lightest M5 DBMs out there and their weight?
I understand. It was just a suggestion.
I doubt that there is any real world meaningful difference between DBM bottom metal as long as plastic mags are used.

I would think something like the PTG stealth would be the lightest, or any other flush mount DBM. Is having the bottom metal hang below the stock line for a barricade stop important for your purposes? Obviously less material = less weight.

I've got a PTG flush mount at home, I'll try and weigh it over the weekend if I remember.

Throwing this out to post the weight even though it is not the lightest.

The Mk-1 bottom metal from KMW is not an M5 inlet but it was built to be dropped down stairs rather than be ultra light.
It does have a stellar track record for correct geometry and extremely consistent dimensions from part to part.

Weight without stock bolts and pillars is 129.5 grams / 4.58 ounces as posted on the web page: https://www.kmwlrs.com/mk1dbm

It comes from the original gene pool of DBMs with extended mag wells and T-shaped latches that everybody else is copying now.

Your Purgatory/ Mammoth rifle sounds like it is going to be badass. Be sure to post pics when you are done and a review of how it drives.

./

Reactions: NVScout
Throwing this out to post the weight even though it is not the lightest.

The Mk-1 bottom metal from KMW is not an M5 inlet but it was built to be dropped down stairs rather than be ultra light.
It does have a stellar track record for correct geometry and extremely consistent dimensions from part to part.

Weight without stock bolts and pillars is 129.5 grams / 4.58 ounces as posted on the web page: https://www.kmwlrs.com/mk1dbm

It comes from the original gene pool of DBMs with extended mag wells and T-shaped latches that everybody else is copying now.

Your Purgatory/ Mammoth rifle sounds like it is going to be badass. Be sure to post pics when you are done and a review of how it drives.

./
Just out of curiosity .... why is it not on an M5 footprint ?

Just out of curiosity .... why is it not on an M5 footprint ?

Why should it be?

I felt that when most of the market is putting DBMs into custom stocks with specific barrel channel variations, action inlet variations and other peripheral customization, it was silly to fence in the design with an existing footprint just because it was popular. Most of the stocks these type DBMs go into are custom ordered with you choosing the specs in the beginning.

Letting the design fall into whatever exterior footprint best suited the final intent of the part seemed more important. This allowed me to put corners where I wanted and orient other geometries without worrying about getting too thin in spots just to stay inside an M5.

It is just my opinion, but if you are hand picking every component of a custom rifle that is going to be your "dream gun" (until the next one you can't live without), it doesn't make sense to pick a stock or bottom metal just because it has to have the M5 inlet.

You are choosing almost every cut and every modification to get your perfect rifle but tying your hands on choice of DBMs because of other perceptions. By the time you finish with spending $3K to $6K on your new stick, it would be silly to cut that corner just for the sake of M5. There are really nice DBMs out there that take an M5 stock inlet but I would hope you chose one of them because of the quality and design of the part rather than whether it fits another maker's inlet or not.

This is just my own thinking and to each his own. Fortunately there is plenty of similar thinking out there and we are moving a lot of these DBMs. With all the other makers and choices out there, it is definitely a good time to be a buyer.

./

I would think something like the PTG stealth would be the lightest, or any other flush mount DBM. Is having the bottom metal hang below the stock line for a barricade stop important for your purposes? Obviously less material = less weight.

I've got a PTG flush mount at home, I'll try and weigh it over the weekend if I remember.
The barricade stop would be a good thing I bet and has its place. Please do CHADPEZZLE ! We I'm sure would really appreciate any info we can compile here??

Why should it be?

I felt that when most of the market is putting DBMs into custom stocks with specific barrel channel variations, action inlet variations and other peripheral customization, it was silly to fence in the design with an existing footprint just because it was popular. Most of the stocks these type DBMs go into are custom ordered with you choosing the specs in the beginning.

Letting the design fall into whatever exterior footprint best suited the final intent of the part seemed more important. This allowed me to put corners where I wanted and orient other geometries without worrying about getting too thin in spots just to stay inside an M5.

It is just my opinion, but if you are hand picking every component of a custom rifle that is going to be your "dream gun" (until the next one you can't live without), it doesn't make sense to pick a stock or bottom metal just because it has to have the M5 inlet.

You are choosing almost every cut and every modification to get your perfect rifle but tying your hands on choice of DBMs because of other perceptions. By the time you finish with spending $3K to $6K on your new stick, it would be silly to cut that corner just for the sake of M5. There are really nice DBMs out there that take an M5 stock inlet but I would hope you chose one of them because of the quality and design of the part rather than whether it fits another maker's inlet or not.

This is just my own thinking and to each his own. Fortunately there is plenty of similar thinking out there and we are moving a lot of these DBMs. With all the other makers and choices out there, it is definitely a good time to be a buyer.

./
Damn good point. Yeah I hope if anyone out there has info on solid UL DBMs shares what they find regardless of the footprint. I chose M5 personally because it was available and gave me better resale on my manners should I decide to go another direction

Reactions: NVScout
Have any feedback/comparison on the Grayboe M5 DBM vs. the Hawkins M5 DBM? I'm torn between these two DBMs

Not necessarily just a weight comparison but overall opinion.
I have a Graboe M5 long action M5 DBM. Its good to go. Has a full width paddle type mag release lever that is quick & easy to operate. Great build and mfg quality