• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ultra sonic cleaner question

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
i read a long while back in an hk manual that some parts on my usp could be cleaned in an ultra sonic cleaner, i never paied much attion since i didnt know what one was.

well at harbor freight i seen one for just 30 bucks but befor i get it, does any one use one of these and for what sorts of things ?

i was thinking i could sitck my barrel in their and my recoil springs as well as magazine bodies and springs. but are they worth it and what exactly do they do ?

Re: ultra sonic cleaner question

I use one to clean all my brass and just recently started using it to clean my slides, barrels, springs and bolts. I'm still trying to find a good cleaner recipe, but I emptied an aerosol can of gun cleaner into my ultrasonic cleaner and stuck two pistols in there and within 5 minutes they were almost as clean as when they were new.

Has anyone tried Hornadys ultr sonic solution?

I have been thinking of trying some in my Harbor Freight cleaner.

James

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so does the thing vibrate like a tumbler ?</div></div>

No.

Think of it more as a water or solvent bath, which is agitated at a massive rate in a minuscule amount.

Through the use of SOUND there are tiny currents and eddy's of the liquid around the contours of the parts. It is both this movement, and the liquid itself, that cleans off the debris.

ULTRA (meaning "whole bunch-a-lots") and SONIC (meaning "sound-vibration-thingies")

That clarify things?

<hedgdhogs not included>

sure does...... so only clean metal things in it then not plastic parts ( usp frame )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use one to clean all my brass and just recently started using it to clean my slides, barrels, springs and bolts. I'm still trying to find a good cleaner recipe, but I emptied an aerosol can of gun cleaner into my ultrasonic cleaner and stuck two pistols in there and within 5 minutes they were almost as clean as when they were new. </div></div>

For brass... 50/50 vinegar and water. Stop the process with a water baking soda bath.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sure does...... so only clean metal things in it then not plastic parts ( usp frame ) </div></div>

Anything, not just metal.

does ultrasonic cleaning get rid of copper and lead fouling in barrels any better then just letting some shooters choice sit in your bore for 5 min

I doubt it, as the ultrasonic waves will likely not penetrate the thickness of the barrel's steel. Most are only a gallon or under and the price rises quickly as the size goes up. You shouldn't put items on the bottom of the cleaner such that they are indirectly contacting the transducer(generates ultrasonic waves) you need a perforated /wire mesh basket that allows the waves to pass through it.

I've tried cleaning brass and it's messy and slow. They work best were the parts are separate such that the transducing waves can act directly on each molecule of grease, dirt or other material to be removed. They would work best on open trigger groups, etc. Where the waves access directly all the dirt and it is subsequently easily washed away in solution.

When you buy a cleaner you should do a aluminum foil test to see how effectively its working. Some new ones from China wouldn't perforate after 8 hours use.

My comp gun I take a part and put in my Ultrasonic Cleaner and it works fantastic. Takes all the fowling out of the barrel and the gun comes out like new. I have not tried a polymer pistol yet but I might give my MP a try.

Here is some of the information I found when researching ultrasonic cleaning.

Ultrasonic cleaners use sonic wavers to generate pressure fluctuations on the surface of the part. The pressure waves cause cavitation bubbles and when these bubbles collapse enough energy is released to remove contamination from the surface.

The reasons that the acidic cleaners (vinegar = acetic acid, lemon = citric acid, cream of tarter = tartaric acid half neutralized with potassium hydroxide) do a quicker job of cleaning the brass is because they etch the brass undercutting the carbon and particles.

These acids are weak and should not remove much brass, however, without doing some etch rate studies you cannot determine the amount of brass you are removing. As a conservative precaution, it would be prudent to minimize the amount of time in the acidic solutions.

Normal rinse procedures at work call for a minimum of 3 separate rinses in water after an acid bath. (It may take additional rinses depending on the water quality and temperature.) To save some money the first rinses can use tap water and the last rinses should use distilled water. If you are using vinegar, you can tell when the rinse is complete when you no longer have the vinegar smell. Once you no longer can smell the vinegar, switch to the distilled water for the final rinses. If you want to increase your rinse effectiveness you can use warm water and add some agitation (Ultrasonics would be effective here also).

Baking Soda is Sodium Bicarbonate (a base) and is listed as attacking brass. Because of this trait, it provides no real benefit to use this as a substitute for a good water rinse. The reasoning behind not performing the baking soda step is you will need to remove the baking soda to prevent it from attacking the brass. To remove the baking soda you will have to do a thorough rinse, so basically you are adding a step with little benefit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does ultrasonic cleaning get rid of copper and lead fouling in barrels </div></div>

No you need solvent or if your stupid rich, you could fill a cleaner with solvent but that's a waste of money.

I can't recall who it was that cleaned MGs in an US cleaner but it sparked my interest since I shoot gassers with a suppressor. US brass cleaning is just not for me. However, a US full of simple green does wonders on a BCG after suppressed fire and I use it for that.

If anyone was interested in that Horndy ultrasonice cleaner, the same one is sold as "Kendal Pro 4800 on a web called " The Shinning Image" for 62.95. I have no idea hqw they look though. I was concidering one myself.