• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ultra Sonic Cleaners

Re: Ultra Sonic Cleaners

i found that a 50/50 warm water and vinegar works pretty decent. Make sure to dip the brass in a water/baking soda solution after they come out of the vinegar.

I will run mine for a cyle or two in baking soda and then in clean water after the vinegar cycles. I also noticed that 223 brass cleans so much easier than 6XC or 308win. I put mine in glasses in the cleaner so its just not sitting on the bottom, etc.

After that, I then run them thru a tumbler with Dillon polish and they come out looking brand new.

Works well.

John

I get very good results using a regular vibratory cleaner, and dampening the Walnut media with a spray bottle and diluted CLR. Just be sure the moisture is completely absorbed by the Walnut before you add the brass, or the Walnut media will get inside and continue to expand. Hard as heck to pry back out after cleaning.

All I do afterward is tumble with dry Corncob media, and very little, if any, residue remains.

Greg

I have given up on the ultra sound, lemishine, vinegar, and soda. It works, but with lots of work on a few pieces of brass. It would be easier just to buy new brass.

I have given up on the vibrator, Walnut, corn cob, paper towel strips, and cleaner. It gets the outside very clean in 5 minutes, but cannot get the inside of the necks clean in 2 days.

I have given up on the bronze bore brush wrapped in steel wool and spun in the lathe to clean the inside of case necks. It works, but with lots of work on a few pieces of brass. It would be easier just to buy new brass.

I got the high speed tumbler, but I have been waiting for a month to get stainless steel media.

I had good results for the vinegar and soap. Looking for something a little better. The Cinatronx is something to try. I read on the stainless steel media looks good but I already have a ultra sonic machine.

I use Iosso case cleaner in Bodum beakers for 10 minutes then plain water for 10 minutes. Cases come out squeaky clean.

I have noticed that my ultrasonic makes quick, easy work of my 223 Lapua brass in just water and vinegar and some dish soap. A couple of 480 second cycles with about 20 cases per glass and thats 2 glasses sitting in the cleaner and they come out looking all but new. Then I just tumble them in corncorb thats treated with Dillon polish for about 30 mins and they look totally new except for no more annealing signs.

308 and 6XC take longer and fewer at a time, but it still works and honestly, is pretty effortless other than draining some water out of the glasses adn refilling. Cant get much easier than that. Just hit start on the ultrasonic and let it do its thing. I only have a $48 machine too....cheap, but effective.

Would get some stainless media and try that route but not until the right size is back out.

John

Speaking of ultrasonic cleaners, what the *&#@ am I doing wrong. I have ruined 2 of them. They are the cheaper Chicago brand from Harbor Freight. I run it for a couple of cycles, and there is a small hole in the stainless tub, and it is leaking everywhere. What am I doing wrong? Has anyone had this experience? Thanks

I have been running my ultra sonic HF cleaner hard for 6 months or so. no problems.

I stopped using vinegar. If your getting any pink tint on your clean brass it is from leaching the nickel out of the brass.

I run distilled water, two tablespoons of detergent dish wash soap & 6 tbsp. of Lyman Turbo liquid case cleaner.

My win mag cases come out clean as a whistle, primer pockets and all in 45 minutes to an hour. And that is a tank full, no beakers or cups/glasses. I Just throw them in however, cover them in my liquid recipe and run them.

I tried this today and work great. Here is a link.

http://www.sharpertek.com/shclsoforreo.html

DSCN0256.jpg

DSCN0255.jpg

FWIW, I had an Ultrasonic thread started some time ago, whilst I was following in the footsteps of others.

I had great result, and highly recommend a little bit of studying up on the process. So that the comprehension of what is going on is clearer.

I learned from this man's teaching, here:

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

And I started this thread, here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...9154#Post919154

Obviously, I have to re-link the pictures. I'll get to that right away.

Hopefully there is something that you can glean from all that is being offered. Carry on.

I ran 2 cycles of 1852 at 480 and they came out clean. Tried the vinegar and had to run longer cycles. I just dump the brass in and run it for 2 cycles and rinse.
So far the 1852 has been the best for me.