• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Ultralite backpack hunting tents

XLR308

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2018
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    I am in the process of moving to northwest Colorado and it has been a long time dream of mine bowhunting the back country for elk and muleys and after much reading and deliberation finally bought my first ultralight tent for the journey. I really wanted to jump into the top tier of this product division but just couldn't force myself to fork over the dough for a tarptent but am confident I made a solid choice.
    I have allways had great luck with cabelas outfitter gear and decided to get the Instinct 2 scout since it gives me the option of pitching without the interior to save weight and comes with the footprint standard which is an add on with almost all others and is a completely stand alone system that doesn't require trekking poles or any extras.
    So to the point any of you guys have experience with this set up good or bad?

I don't have any specific answers for you, but what kind of tent are you looking for and what compromises are you willing to make? I know some hunters that refuse to go into the woods with anything less than a 1500 sq/ft tent complete with mini fridge and microwave, while other guys are happy to wrap themselves in a poncho liner and call it good. I too have been checking out lightweight shelter options for archery hunting in northern Colorado. As a former Airborne Infantryman I am not unfamiliar with sleeping in the woods, but since I get to choose my gear now, my priorities have changed a bit. I currently have a DIY clone of the Kifaru Paratarp, and while it's lightweight and roomy for one, I don't like sleeping directly on the ground and there's no protection from biting insects, so by the time I add in a bivy for my sleeping bag, and the trekking poles, it's no longer light and compact. I have been looking hard at the Snugpak Ionsphere as it's completely self contained and weighs in at about 2.5 lbs. It's not super roomy, but in the spirit of staying light and fast I'm willing to compromise there. At $170 it's pretty affordable. I'm still on the fence, but will need to make a decision in just a couple months regardless. Would love to hear any other suggestions from you all.

IONOSPHERE.jpg

I ended up buying the cabelas Instinct scout 2. Its not the lightest out there but was within what I considered an ultralight, all in with the exterior fly, full interior, ground tarp, steaks and poles its a little over four pounds. With the interior removed should be around 2 pounds or slightly under for a minimalist set up.
    I camped in it for three days after buying it in sustained winds around 30 at times and gusts up into the 40's I'm guessing with zero issues. It handles the wind very well even though I only used the guy lines on the entrance side that I set up into the wind. It has plenty of room for me my pack and bow, the vestibule isnt very big but is adequate for boots and a day pack.
    Im very pleased with it so far and look forward to my next trip in it.

depends on your intended use and environment...and preferences.

Hilleberg is the top of the heap, I've had two. A little heavier than some, but if you don't want or cant make us of a stove and just need a tent that can have all the features and withstand the nastiest weather...hilleberg is the choice. My personal favorite is the allak.

I've used cabelas, mountain hardwear, rei, marmot, all decent tents priced in that 250-450 range, most of the tents in that price range are all kind of similar in design and materials. They work well for warmer weather and all suffer from ventilation/condensation issues, none as durable or reliable as a hilleberg.

floorless is the new thing. If its cold or wet and there will be wood to burn, its hard to argue with using them. Very spacious and even carrying a woodburning stove they are no heavier than much smaller traditional style backpack tents, yet still allow standing room. Probably an ideal route if you routinely want it to support two people hunting out of it. The biggest caveat is probably bug protection. I have plans to buy one, and will probably only use it in basecamp situations, winter or higher elevations.

Reactions: XLR308
    Have you broken a carbon frame KUIU?
    I have. Not the current frame, but I have not owned a new one either. Had a icon 7200 a couple years ago and broke one of the vertical arms of the carbon frame sheet.

Bibler. Top end mountaineering gear. Lighter than Hilleberg, though they are awesome as well. also check out Kifaru for American made, light, floorless options.

I have a mountain hardware single wall 4 season that is extended in length, allowing for keeping gear dry in crap weather. A bit heavier than a bibler, and worth it to me. Im not sure if they make it anymore.

Last edited:
    Bibler or now Black Diamond since Todd sold the company. There is a reason why. For extreme weight savings the Firstlite from BD.

Another company is Stevens. Super light but a little quirky to set up.

These are single walled tents designed for max useable internal space for the floor space to be used in the worlds worst climate like high altitude mountaineering with temps at 40 below in hurricane wind. They can be set up in less than a minute by one person. Tired after a long day, its raining and blowing, in less than a minute you are out of the weather heating and drinking relaxing by the time these other tents are set up.

Instinct 2 scout is another copy of the Bibler design but 2 walls and twice the weight. If you want a tarp tent, look at Black Diamond.

I will have to check out BD as well, so far I really like the Scout2 and have intentionally set it up with wind hiting it directly into the entrance with the fly open, cross wind set ups and using partial guy lines to see wait it does and how it handles.
    I haven't seen any winds in excess of 40mph yet but it has done really well up to that point with no signs of weakness.
    I still need to remove the interior and weigh it with exterior, poles, stakes and ground tarp to see what it would weigh for a minimalist set up.
    I also haven't had any temps cold enough to test how it handles condensation with the interior installed.

Bibler is the bomb. The I tent. BD's Firstlight is a less expensive ultralight version of the I tent. The Firstloght is a very good mountain tent, fine in snow but come heavy rain you will suffer.

I’ve been using the MSR Hubba Hubba for 3 yrs now. Not sure it’s what I would call “ultralight,” but it’s pretty dang light at 3lb7oz. And it will keep the mosquitos out as last year’s late June/early July San Juan Wilderness trip can attest. Found mine on sale for around 200 I believe.

Ultralight Mountain gear, Zpacks, Kifaru, Seekoutside, Mountain Laurel Designs, Bear Paw designs, ect.
    These are a few that make the gear you're looking for.

R

Here is an image to a Zpack tent.. from their site
    ultralight-two-person-tent-duplex-pads_l.jpg

For some types of camping (rainy, light snow, bugs), I like a tube floor.. The two person tent I have weighs about 18.5oz, with bag and line. 21oz with the carbon tent stakes if you don't want to use rocks. This is for large 2 person fully enclosed tent, leaving the other person free to carry other things rather than two tarp shelters etc..

I use carbon trekking poles at 10oz per pair.. Those alone let me travel faster and further and they are multipurpose.

If I am by myself in good weather, a super light 8oz Bivi is less than 1/2 the weight, but if you pair it with a ground sheet, lines for a tarp and tarp it is 2/3 the weight of above. If two people are traveling the combined weight is more.

Some Bivis weigh more that the two person tent above.

Last edited:
    Reactions: XLR308 and TACC
    View attachment 6938618
    For some types of camping (rainy, light snow, bugs), I like a tube floor.. The two person tent I have weighs about 18.5oz 21oz with the carbon tent stake, bag and line.

I use carbon trekking poles at 10oz per pair.. Those alone let me travel faster and further and they are multipurpose.
    We, Me and my partner, are currently using a Kifaru Tut.
    I'm of the thinking that if we are early season we'll not necessarily need the stove.
    I'd like to try out the Zpacks Triplex.
    He is 6'6" and we'd like to keep our packs inside if possible.
    What are your thoughts on this approach?

R

We, Me and my partner, are currently using a Kifaru Tut.
    I'm of the thinking that if we are early season we'll not necessarily need the stove.
    I'd like to try out the Zpacks Triplex.
    He is 6'6" and we'd like to keep our packs inside if possible.
    What are your thoughts on this approach?

R
    I have not tried the Triplex so I don't know the setup. Dyneema Composite is super light, but all the ultra light tents are a bit noisy and more fragile than the typical 4-6 pound tents found in that size.

I like to store my gun for sure and some of gear inside when I can, but I also carry 1 large Hefty bag to completely cover my backpack. Then I use that same bag for any carryouts.

If you don't hike with poles, you might not truly be seeing the kind of weight savings the number make it seem like. Although, once I started using Black Diamond Carbon Z folding poles (10oz/pair), I can't believe how come I didn't years before.

@6'6" not sure how or if his poles would work as ten supports.

Reactions: Rthur
    I have not tried the Triplex so I don't know the setup. Dyneema Composite is super light, but all the ultra light tents are a bit noisy and more fragile than the typical 4-6 pound tents found in that size.

I like to store my gun for sure and some of gear inside when I can, but I also carry 1 large Hefty bag to completely cover my backpack. Then I use that same bag for any carryouts.

If you don't hike with poles, you might not truly be seeing the kind of weight savings the number make it seem like. Although, once I started using Black Diamond Carbon Z folding poles (10oz/pair), I can't believe how come I didn't years before.

@6'6" not sure how or if his poles would work as ten supports.
    It looked like Zpacks carbon poles added 5 oz to the above setup.
    Compared to our current rig we would be dropping pounds.
    We use poles but haul them in case we get lucky/our packs get heavier.

R

FYI - Talking about Ultra Light Hunting The Founder of KUIU, Jason Hariston Passed Today. I heard Suicide and sheep hunting fall.. But the suicide unfortunately, seems to hold more street and possible a younger family member finding him.

View attachment 6938618

For some types of camping (rainy, light snow, bugs), I like a tube floor.. The two person tent I have weighs about 18.5oz, with bag and line. 21oz with the carbon tent stakes if you don't want to use rocks. This is for large 2 person fully enclosed tent, leaving the other person free to carry other things rather than two tarp shelters etc..

If I am by myself in good weather, a super light 8oz Bivi is less than 1/2 the weight, but if you pair it with a ground sheet, lines for a tarp and tarp it is 2/3 the weight of above. If two people are traveling the combined weight is more.

Some Bivis weigh more that the two person tent above.

I have this exact tent. It rocks.

Reactions: Diver160651
    I ended up buying a Cimmaron with a SXL titanium stove today need to fire in the stove and make a trip up to the mountains to break it in.
    Pretty awesome having Seek Outside pretty much right across the road from were I live.
    Will update when I get some ground time on the new teepee.

I ended up buying a Cimmaron with a SXL titanium stove today need to fire in the stove and make a trip up to the mountains to break it in.
    Pretty awesome having Seek Outside pretty much right across the road from were I live.
    Will update when I get some ground time on the new teepee.
    Good choice.
    As you are in their neighborhood when are they going to release the Dyneema/Cuben Fiber version of the recliff?
    Price point?
    I'm in the "need" for a light 2 man plus solution in september.

R

This is an older thread but why not...
    If you are looking for an ultralight tent that is pretty good quality for the $ look at the Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL Series. I have a 3 person and it comfortably fits me and my 2 daughters (who are both around 5'5") with the important gear inside the rain fly. It is super light even with the foot print and I have weathered out some pretty nasty storms in mine. I am a Big Agnes fan all the way around...

Reactions: XLR308 and TACC
    If you are looking for an ultralight tent that is pretty good quality for the $ look at the Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL Series. I have a 3 person and it comfortably fits me and my 2 daughters (who are both around 5'5") with the important gear inside the rain fly. It is super light even with the foot print and I have weathered out some pretty nasty storms in mine. I am a Big Agnes fan all the way around...

Thanks for resurrecting this old thread, some very good info in it

I don't have any specific answers for you, but what kind of tent are you looking for and what compromises are you willing to make? I know some hunters that refuse to go into the woods with anything less than a 1500 sq/ft tent complete with mini fridge and microwave, while other guys are happy to wrap themselves in a poncho liner and call it good. I too have been checking out lightweight shelter options for archery hunting in northern Colorado. As a former Airborne Infantryman I am not unfamiliar with sleeping in the woods, but since I get to choose my gear now, my priorities have changed a bit. I currently have a DIY clone of the Kifaru Paratarp, and while it's lightweight and roomy for one, I don't like sleeping directly on the ground and there's no protection from biting insects, so by the time I add in a bivy for my sleeping bag, and the trekking poles, it's no longer light and compact. I have been looking hard at the Snugpak Ionsphere as it's completely self contained and weighs in at about 2.5 lbs. It's not super roomy, but in the spirit of staying light and fast I'm willing to compromise there. At $170 it's pretty affordable. I'm still on the fence, but will need to make a decision in just a couple months regardless. Would love to hear any other suggestions from you all.

IONOSPHERE.jpg
    If you are still considering the ionosphere, it’s a solid tent. I have had mine about 2 years now and zero issues or complaints. It’s big enough for me (5’8”) and my Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly pack. The tent rolls up to just a little bigger than a Nalgene bottle including rain fly and stakes.

just seeing eberlestock wrote my shoulders start to ache best investment i have ever made was a properly designed pack

Good choice.
    As you are in their neighborhood when are they going to release the Dyneema/Cuben Fiber version of the recliff?
    Price point?
    I'm in the "need" for a light 2 man plus solution in september.

R

Don't have an answer for that one but I can certainly ask if you are genuinely interested.
    I have the Cimmaron set up in my living room this morning and have sealed all of the seams and waiting for it to dry.
    It's a good bit bigger than I expected and will be plenty comfy with the SXL stove regardless of conditions, would have liked to have set it up outside to seal all the seams but it's been snowing all morning. Thinking about sneaking off tomorrow and going up to the mesa for a trial run.

I looked at the BA tents more than a few times but have been more than happy with the scout2 I bought and wanted something a little bigger and lighter with a stove when it's needed so will update when I've had a chance to spend some time in the Cimarron.

Don't have an answer for that one but I can certainly ask if you are genuinely interested.
    I have the Cimmaron set up in my living room this morning and have sealed all of the seams and waiting for it to dry.
    It's a good bit bigger than I expected and will be plenty comfy with the SXL stove regardless of conditions, would have liked to have set it up outside to seal all the seams but it's been snowing all morning. Thinking about sneaking off tomorrow and going up to the mesa for a trial run.
    Depends on their price point.
    The redcliff checks a lot of boxes for me in a couple of roles.
    The Zpacks Triplex is also on the list.

R

Depends on their price point.
    The redcliff checks a lot of boxes for me in a couple of roles.
    The Zpacks Triplex is also on the list.

R

I'm kind of wondering that myself dynema/ Cuben would considerably jack the price over the current offering and I think the weight saving would be miniscule given the price increase.
    The Cimarron is a 4 person without a stove at under 3 pounds if I remember correctly so doubling the price to cut a pound seems counter productuvive to me but what does a turd like me know?

I'm kind of wondering that myself dynema/ Cuben would considerably jack the price over the current offering and I think the weight saving would be miniscule given the price increase.
    The Cimarron is a 4 person without a stove at under 3 pounds if I remember correctly so doubling the price to cut a pound seems counter productuvive to me but what does a turd like me know?
    I've heard quotes of a pound lighter on the Redcliff.
    Speculation until they get it build.
    With Hyperlite Mountain gear in the mix it may temper the pricing.

R

I've heard quotes of a pound lighter on the Redcliff.
    Speculation until they get it build.
    With Hyperlite Mountain gear in the mix it may temper the pricing.

R

I can say without a doubt that I was recently in there factory and saw no dynema fabric but I'm no textile expert so who's to say right.

I would look at the Carbon Reflex 1. The side entry is ideal and has more headroom everywhere than the Fly Creek series. It is also considerably more waterproof. It also does not require all of the stakes that the Fly Creeks require. Finally, it can be freestanding with the use of trekking poles at each end.

I would disagree that the Fly Creek tents are freestanding.

R

Didn't even know they had those in the works, I just looked and the Cimmaron with Cuben fabric is basically the price by its self that I paid for the same tent with stove jack and an SXL titanium stove.

Big Agnes makes some great tents that are super light - they also have great warranty support. You can usually go on REI, Moosejaw, backcountry, etc and find last years models for about 1/2 price.

Black Diamond mega mid has been fantastic for me. I got the carbon pole. The no floor thing isn't for everyone. Sleeps 4 people, great by myself, you can cook inside, stupid light.

If it was me I'd get a SMD Skyscape X (Cuben fiber tent). Great for 3 season camping. Even has a zip-in "porch" option.
    To me it's the best UL minimalist design out there.

I use a Tarptent Moment DW that is LIGHT but not UL. I got it for 4 season camping and for that purpose it's great.