• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultramax Ammunition

corsair_001

Private
Minuteman
I had several box's of Ultramax (yes, now out of business) 223 75gr Heavy Match Hollow Point ammunition. Now I'm out. My Rem 700 bolt gun loves this stuff easily running .35 - .45 groups if I do my part. Does anyone have any data on this load? I want to duplicate this load as close as possible.
Thanks in advance,
C1

Figure out what bullet they used.

If you have any left, disassemble one and pop the primer out and see what brand it is.

The powder is probably W-748. Weigh it and you should get an idea of where to begin with your reverse engineering.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Thought I had stashed 1 box back, but turns out I had not, can't download and inspect components. Maybe someone will have info, maybe not. Will start looking for some 75gr bullets, I have 77gr SMK's, will probably load some 75's along with the 77's to see if I can get close. The journey never ends.

Considering how Ultramax used to put their ammunition together, you should be able to grab a 75gr bullet, any primer and W-748 and best their accuracy.

There can't be that many 75gr bullets out there. Most are 77gr, so it should be pretty easy to narrow it down.
Don't decide based on having a cannelure or not. Many companies would buy bullets from places like Hornady, but they wanted a crimping groove. It only added one step in the manufacturing process and probably less than 1/4 of a second of time.

W748 could work, I tested it out with the 68/69 weight bullets and found it worked ok. For some reason I never tested it with the 75/77 weight bullets. AA2520 worked real good with both the 68/69 & 75/77 weight bullets, do you have any other powders?

Hornady 75 bthp, 23.2 grains of 8208 in a LC case gave me good accuracy, SD in the teens and velocity was 2670 fps out of an 18" barrel
Varget gave me a little trouble using Nammo brass due to its low case capacity but 23.3 was accurate. I was also having chrono issues, velocity was in the low 2500 range and couldnt get enought for an honest SD.
With a powder selection like that you have plenty of options to get something to work