• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Under Armour boots? Speed Freaks in particular?

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
Just curious if anyone has worn These boots

So far all ive ready about them is that they are very comfortable but I havent seen anything much for durability. Anyone comment on this? Looking at a pair for both every day wear as well as light hunting duties. More every day use than hunting though.

Re: Under Armour boots? Speed Freaks in particular?

So far mine are holding up fine, but I also don't expect too much of them. Much like most of the boots in there category, they are what they are a $100 plus pair of tennis shoes.

How long have you been using them for?

3months or so....no excessive wear and at the same time no super duper features to sing about. They remind me very much of the first generation Oakley USA made boots.

So in your oppinion are they worth the $160 for every day wear or can you spend that $160 and get something a lot better?

Id like to get atleast get a good 3-4 years out of them, preferably longer

Not worth the price. I got the black tactical boot for about $109. I changed the insole and they are very comfortable now. I have had them for over 6 months with no complaints. These have mesh uppers so your feet can breathe. Just don't wear them If your expecting rain. These boots are light and worth what I paid. I now prefer them over Oakley si boots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So in your oppinion are they worth the $160 for every day wear or can you spend that $160 and get something a lot better?

Id like to get atleast get a good 3-4 years out of them, preferably longer </div></div>

I didn't pay $160, I paid right around $125 IIRC. I am pretty hard on footwear, so for an everyday boot I would not expect anywhere near 3-4 yrs out of them. A year or so maybe depending on your use, but that is probably honestly right in line with their design criteria. They are not a heavy use boot but one designed to work pretty hard but be tennis shoe comfortable which they definitely are.

To give you reference I can wear out a pair of Warrington Pro fire station boots in 3-4years wearing them 110 days a year. Those are a very heavy duty, stitch down constructed boot that is rebuildable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not worth the price. I got the black tactical boot for about $109. I changed the insole and they are very comfortable now. I have had them for over 6 months with no complaints. These have mesh uppers so your feet can breathe. Just don't wear them If your expecting rain. These boots are light and worth what I paid. I now prefer them over Oakley si boots. </div></div>

You are talking about the Valsetz boot which is non waterproof (mesh duh).

The speedfreaks are water proof and have proven to be so for me with some rain and wet grass conditions, although I haven't stood them in a puddle to see just how intense they can handle the water.

I will be giving mine a good ole break in this weekend. My mom works at cabelas and she said they've gotten over half of them back all with the same complaint. "Tooo hot...they just don't breath very well."

Not my comment, just what I was told. That said, I'll still give them their chance.
I think the other model would be more durable from what I felt at the store, but the speed freaks were much more comfortable.

I've had really good luck with Danner Pronghorns for hunting. Lightweight and durable.

i've went through about 4 pairs of boots in the past 2yrs, but i put on hard miles... i just got some of the multicam speed freaks and my initial thoughts (being a former D1 college athlete) is the arch support was amazing, I have had em since monday and only have about 5 miles on em, but they are comfortable and i'm hoping they hold up.

Im not super hard on shoes but im wearing a pair of DC Skater shoes that just hit 3 years old in september. Back in september they were just starting to fall apart and now both have a 3 inch hole in the bottom of the rubber, and the one is coming unstitched. Ive got MANY miles on them and wear them 75% of the year. so if i cant get a boot that will last as long as them then maybe its just better to buy a new pair of skater shoes.

I noticed last night Cabelas and Danner teamed up and remade the pronghorn its an inch taller and a bit different leather, but it doesnt look too bad and its on sale. Might have to check them out.
cool.gif

I would expect them to last about as long as their backpacks...crap from offshore. UA lasted maybe a year until the seams went south. Camelback 1st Gen BMF still truckin and just ordered a rain cover for it so my stuff wont get wet on teh ride to and from school every day...rain, snow, shine,ride ride ride

I wear Danner boots. They are pricey, but well worth it. I have not seen the new Danner/Cabelas model, but I'll take a look at them. UnderArmour needs to stick to underwear and sock hats. If i needed a good pair of everyday boots or hunting/field boots, Under Armour is certainly not what I'd be looking at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> UnderArmour needs to stick to underwear and sock hats. If i needed a good pair of everyday boots or hunting/field boots, Under Armour is certainly not what I'd be looking at. </div></div>
i would beg to differ, UA makes some great cross trainers, which is why i'm giving the speed freaks a try, and like i said, "IF" they hold up, will be the determining factor... they have great support/comfort, we will c how this season wears em down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> UnderArmour needs to stick to underwear and sock hats. If i needed a good pair of everyday boots or hunting/field boots, Under Armour is certainly not what I'd be looking at. </div></div>
i would beg to differ, UA makes some great cross trainers, which is why i'm giving the speed freaks a try, and like i said, "IF" they hold up, will be the determining factor... they have great support/comfort, we will c how this season wears em down. </div></div>

+1 I would definitely rank the UA Speedfreaks better than Magnum, Bates, et al. that populate the same category of boot. My only caution was that these boots are not meant to be a hardcore technical boot but much more of a comfort/support light fast boot. And in that light I find them good.

I've been wearing a pair of the tan UA Valsetz boots almost daily since January. Aside from looking a bit dingy they've held up well. Very light & comfortable but they are a touch on the hot side in the summer months.

Well not exactly what i was after but made it to town today and was able to pick up a pair of Danner Flash Points for $143 before tax. Took the remaining money and bought just a decent pair of sneakers. Got the best of both worlds

haha i sure hope so!

Many in the hiking and backpacking communities are moving away from boots and using approach shoes / light hiking shoes.

The tendency is mostly due to weight and comfort. Coupled with a good pair of gaiters you seem to get a more comfortable experience in the woods.

If dealing with deep mud and water a pair of waterproof boots is the way to go but it is often times better to go around those obstacles as a simple trip through the mud often can add several pounds to your feet.

The metrics that are being quote these days is that every pound on your feet is worth 6 on your back.

Well, put mine through the ringer this weekend. I would say they are easily the most comfortable boots I've ever worn and the bottoms and toes seem more than durable. (I always end up having the toe tear away from the soles)

They are definitely not for the extreme cold, as it was -6 with 5-10mph winds on Sunday. They don't breath very well, and so my feet got sweaty when walking, and then for obvious reasons, got cold.

All that said...I usually wear my Mickey Mouse boots when it's cold, and didn't get Speed Freaks to replace those.
I got mine for a late season antelope or early deer season hunting boots. I would say they will work VERY well in the 25-65 degree mark, and the waterproof aspect was awesome.
Don't expect them to amaze you above or below that temp range.