• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Under Armour

Kopfjager 4-96

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
Camp Pendleton, Ca
I will be hunting in Wi this year for deer. Temps in the teens morning and eve's, highs in the 20's day time. I am looking to purchase Under Armour, however, even with their layer system it certainly does not seem as if it would provide enough warmth in said temps. I will also be doing some stand hunting each day 3-4 hours. Has anyone used their gear in these temps and what product of theres did you buy, base, mid and outer layers. Thanks

Re: Under Armour

I live and hunt in NW WI, I can tell you that temps will vary this year, they did last year. Expect anythig from <10 to ~40. Layering is important because you can adjust outerwear as necessary- we don't stand hunt at all, usually drives and stalks. A base layer of UA plus a loose polyester t-shirt, sweatshirt, possibly jacket if necessary, and a blaze vest is my setup. Yes, you may look like a pumpkin but you will be warm. Stand hunting, same deal. More volume = more warmth.
As for gear, everything works just fine. Keep scope covered if it's snowing, possibly a little light on the oil if under 15 degrees.

I run it as a base as it seems to transfer the sweat off fairly well. I wouldnt rely on it soley for warmth. I layer big time and always do just fine. Usually UA for base then a cotton T then a long sleeve shirt, jacket and then a coat. I am in WY though and I would guess our temps may me a tad cooler.

i have a bunch of hunting gear i have purchased over the years. Most of it off clearance racks and that is the issue. I do look like the Michelin Man with it all on, looking to find a good set-up of Under Armour gear. I dont want to drop $400+ if this gear is not able to keep me warm. I did put a call into Under Armour, the clown on the other line stated there gear is good in all weather conditions but would not give me a Temp range or what i should layer with in certain conditions.

UA Cold Gear with a fleece (any moderate fleece pile) middle layer and then a wool or poly shell will keep you into the 20's for still hunting. De-layer for moving. You can stock up at the local Dicks, Gamder, Basspro etc on inexpensive bibs or jackets that do the job for under $80. Just stay away from cotton. Inexpensive fleece is great middlewear option. Add a layer or shell to provide wind/rain/cold protection as appropriate. There are a bunch of great wool or microfiber options out there these days to make you comfy.

You can base layer under Cold Gear but not necessary. It moves sweat, and insulates really well. You can always add overlayers.

Forgot to mention: cotton kills! Above posts are correct, fleece pullovers make great mid-outerwear. Wool, obviously, is also great.