• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Understanding custom rifle build requirements

jrowlands

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2020
Hey everyone, I've been looking into getting a new rifle for PRS and long range shooting. I've been looking at custom, semi-custom, and factory rifles to make cost, performance, and customizable breakdown of each option. The only thing I'm getting hung up on is what is needed for a custom rifle (bolt action). I listed below what I know is needed, but what I'm questioning is if bottom metal is needed if you chose to use a chassis.
  • Action
  • barrel
  • bottom metal
  • trigger
  • chassis / stock

Bottom metal is build into chassis.

But I don’t see bipod, muzzle brake, mags, optics

I figured the bottom metal was built into the chassis but i wanted to make sure. The reason i didn't put bipod, muzzle break, mags, optics ect on that list is because i need to buy them regardless of what choice i decide. You do raise a good point though, i should probably take that into consideration as well. Also i have an Atlas bipod on my Rimfire for prs i might just move that around as needed.

Yes that is the basic short list, Google precission rifles show...em snipershide, it will give you tons of options, and descriptions.This may also leed to more specific questions. Good luck on your project.

I figured the bottom metal was built into the chassis but i wanted to make sure. The reason i didn't put bipod, muzzle break, mags, optics ect on that list is because i need to buy them regardless of what choice i decide. You do raise a good point though, i should probably take that into consideration as well. Also i have an Atlas bipod on my Rimfire for prs i might just move that around as needed.

I promise you it’s not a bad way to go by moving around bipods but it’s one of the most annoying things in the world after time. Once everything’s all said and done and you fork out 500-4000 on the rim fire trainer, and 1500-6000 on the center fire but you don’t justify a second bipod. This is speaking from experience!

Even though you have to buy them, it’s a good idea to still take into consideration due to the cost of everything!

Yeah I want one for each rifle but I would rather spend the extra 300 to 400 on the rifle now and get another bipod next year and just put up with the switch for the first year or so.

Bottom metal is build into chassis.

But I don’t see bipod, muzzle brake, mags, optics

Adding rings to this as well and a level if it's not built into the chassis.

The one point I'd make when specing a barrel out is to understand the ammunition you want to shoot. The reason I'd say that is because you want to be able to specify the barrel twist (and perhaps even chambering) correctly for the caliber, bullet type and bullet weight. That's a bit further down the road than the high level you posted but IMO probably one of the most important pieces to getting it right.

Yeah That another thing I need to learn, I understand how the barrel length and twist rate plays into stability but I don't understand the different contours and chambering dimensions. Like would i want a contour of of heavy palma, medium, palma, m24, or comp. Then looking at chambering for this example lets go with a 6.5 Creedmoor because its so popular. would you want to go with a 0.199" factory ammo spec or a 0.18" match speck. Im going to make hand loads for my gun and im really only using it for target shooting and PRS comp. With that in mind i would assume you would want a heavy barrel contour and the tighter tolerance in chamber to give your self the most accuracy.

My original intention was to just figure out a ruff price of a custom gun vs a semi-custom like the MPA PMR BA pro and determine what route I wanted to go. However I find my self leaning more and more towards making my own custom gun just for all the choices and the fun of learning and picking a build. I have a few friends that shoot PRS comps with me that also do center fire but i feel annoying always asking them when i have five questions a day so instead I've just gotten to the point where i post them on the hide.