• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Underwood Ammo?

gunjunkie45

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 28, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Anyone ever try it? I just ordered a couple hundred rounds of plus p 90 grain extreme defenders to try in my CZ p01 omega.

Underwood is all I use for C/C S/D and the cost is worth every penny to me. If you reload the Lehigh projo's they use, Lehigh Defense now has load data on their site for most of the projo's they sell. That said Underwood up's that speed with special blends. Once you see what their ammo will do to live meat most rethink their C/C S/D ammo choices.

This is what I wanted to hear. Was hoping it was good. The bullets have interested me for a while and Underwood's prices are decent. Just hoping they run in my CZ. The recoil spring is a stiff fucker and it doesn't feed target loads reliably.

My XDM10mm runs the 180 & 220's just fine. On a brand new barrel they were about 50fps slower than advertised but still pushing a 180 speer gold dot @ 1250fps.:eek:
    Zero malfunctions so far.

Reactions: Alabusa
    I run them, hardcast in 10 mm, 220 grain, hit like bricks, but you better hold on for the follow up shot.

I also shoot the hardcast in 45 magnum.
    They come out screaming and take deerxand hogs like cement blocks driving them in the ground

Reactions: gunjunkie45
    If you want hard barrier penetration the slightly heavier Extreme Penetrator line do better.
    Of course for 9mm the Extreme Penetrator +P+ then if you move up to a PCC you'll be amazed at how hard those rounds hit.

9mm is interesting, but when you want hard barrier or multi barrier presentation, then you go .40 S&W, .357 Sig, .45+P, 10mm, .45 Super then do the jump to .44mag or .50 AE

We had some fun here setting up a test rig with 3 sheets of 1/10th inch steel spaced about an inch apart and seeing how different rounds reacted.

As a note, spaced multi barriers are actually much more difficult to punch through that single barriers.

I also run a Glock 35. 15000 rounds without a hiccup. No matter what I feed it. Please school me.

This is what I wanted to hear. Was hoping it was good. The bullets have interested me for a while and Underwood's prices are decent. Just hoping they run in my CZ. The recoil spring is a stiff fucker and it doesn't feed target loads reliably.

Get yourself a box of both the +P+ Extreme Defenders and the +P+ Extreme Penetrators and see which your pistol likes best.
    Both are very high energy, but one has a fair bit more mass, so depending on your exact setup, you may find one is a bit better for you than the other.
    In my experience both cycle everything I have just fine.

Also if you have a CZ, have you thought about having it sent to Cajun Gun Works? (Unless of course you already have).

Is the ammo good- yes- great quality...

It's a newer bullet and I am not aware of any real world studies by FBI of people who were shot by the round and the real world results.

I know that some of the small pocket 9mm don't see the traditional penetration due to the short barrel length... so ammo makers are going with both light and heavy 9MM bullets...

Light- maximize velocity in 3 inch barrels
    (KE= 1/2Mass * VELOCITY SQUARED)

Heavy - 150 Grain- maximize weight as the bullet will be slower from a 3" pocket gun barrel over a standard duty gun with a 5" barrel (Momentum = Mass Times Velocity) In Momentum- the Velocity is not squared to calculate momentum so a heavy bullet wins this formula

--

Keep Life simple
    1) Does the ammo run 100% in your firearm? Some JHP dont feed in some guns.... Will new (unfired) rounds extract from your gun? (Some round will feed fine but are too long to eject when unfired)

2) Can you hit well with the Pistol & Load? Some guns has shit ergonomics... they don't work well with large or small hands... Triggers suck or have a false reset (LC9) If you can't hit well on an average day- fix that

3) Carry at least 1 spare mag- many many many malfunctions are magazine based... Always have a spare!

If you screw up, focus on the target when you and target are moving and miss- the reload should be a mental time to go back to the front sight...

It's a handgun- it's easy to carry- but not magic- Hits counts- center of available mass hits are what is really important

9mm Luger 90 Grain Xtreme Defender

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
    • Caliber: 9mm Luger
    • Bullet Weight: 90 Grains
    • Bullet Style: Lehigh Defense Xtreme Defense
    • Case Type: Ducta-Bright 7a Nickel Brass
    BALLISTICS INFORMATION
    • Muzzle Velocity: 1400 fps
    • Muzzle Energy: 392 ft lbs
    • Penetration: 15 in.

• Love
    Reactions: Zorrosdens
    as said above buy with confidence

glock 40 10mm

have ran 3 types of underwood

no FF, no hang ups functions perfectly

Reactions: Alabusa
    I bought their 460 rowland loads.

Have a friend who carries their stuff in his .357 and .44 mag.

The results with their extreme penetrator (gonna get that put on a T-shirt!!) in videos is impressive.
    Also grouped well for me at 5-20 yds.

I load a bit of my own 460 loads too.
    12.6gr of power pistol under a 200 gr XTP and theirs feels even hotter!!!

You can shoot a few when your neck is all healed up!!

It's the only ammo I use for SD. Have bought it in 9mm, 40 S&W, .223, and .44mag. Have taken deer with the .44mag with well-placed shots out of a Win. 94 Trapper. They make excellent ammo.

No experience with their handgun ammo. But it is all I have run in my 50 Beowulf. Shoots amazingly accurate in a very cheap upper.

It is super hot in all calibers I shoot. But it is awesome and from the ballistics gel tests I have seen it works very well.

My glocks love the 9mm+p+ defender
    But have to say my 1911 9mm don't .
    Have to say shot placement is the most important factor

I have quite a few through full size cz’s with great speeds and no issues with reliability (then again they feed virtually anything). Just watch what you shoot as it can make small divots in steel if you use the higher speed copper ones.

I've read that underwood has (maybe had) a "hard primer" issue. Has anyone experienced any failures to fire?

Reactions: E-Tool
    Not what I meant, sorry I meant hot for the bullet weight. They don’t do too much thats small. It’s all ++p

Have shot some Underwood 44 mag +p+ hardcast 340gr in my Redhawk. No issues.

From a reliable source I have heard the 90gr +P+ 9mm ammo consistently defeats soft body armor. Now that we're seeing a lot of rioters wearing soft body armor, something to consider.

Reactions: FishinGuns
    I have the 9mm+P extreme penetrators. Only shot 4 so far from my Taurus PT92.
    Finished off a pretty big sow with one, complete pass through front shoulder and into the dirt.
    Second shot was on a piglet, complete pass through and hit a second piglet behind it.
    3rd and 4th shots were to finish off the 2 piglets.

I'd like to shoot a really big hog with them to see if it would pass through. Like a 300 or bigger.

Also don't shoot hogs with critical duty 9mm. Makes them real mad.

Reactions: brianf
    I shoot Underwood 45 Super. I think very highly of them and have had zero ammo malfunctions in 9mm, 10mm, and 45 Super. At least a few thousand rounds total, combined.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
    Underwood .45 Super is something special and hits really hard.
    If you have a HK Mark 23 you can do a limited diet of that without mods.

Reactions: deersniper
    I avoid gimmick ammo for defensive purposes. I use stuff that's been vetted by reputable police agencies or by subject matter experts like Dr Gary K Roberts.

I avoid gimmick ammo for defensive purposes. I use stuff that's been vetted by reputable police agencies or by subject matter experts like Dr Gary K Roberts.

I think you'll find the Underwood ammunition using the Lehigh solids is not "gimmick ammo".

I would speculate that those who buy some and then actually do some of their own tests, and decide to buy more, are most likely buying it for rather specific attributes that are not easily covered by other more common designs that are a bit more general purpose.

I think you'll find the Underwood ammunition using the Lehigh solids is not "gimmick ammo".

I would speculate that those who buy some and then actually do some of their own tests, and decide to buy more, are most likely buying it for rather specific attributes that are not easily covered by other more common designs that are a bit more general purpose.

Solids for tough game are a good idea. I use handguns for sport and personal defense. Lehigh bullets are ideal for neither.

Just giving my perspective. Others should do as they see fit.

Solids for tough game are a good idea. I use handguns for sport and personal defense. Lehigh bullets are ideal for neither.

For sport / target shooting, they are way too expensive to use.

For personal defense, that's going to depend on what you think the threat is going to be. For "traditional" threat types they would be a very poor choice I agree.

For sport / target shooting, they are way too expensive to use.

For personal defense, that's going to depend on what you think the threat is going to be. For "traditional" threat types they would be a very poor choice I agree.
    You mean 36" of penetration isn't ideal?????

I use Underwood because I hunt in California and I don’t expect a game warden to know that “loaded in your concealed carry weapon” is an exception to the no-lead-ammo regulations.

14 CCR 250.1.c.3:
    “Nothing in this section is intended to prohibit the possession of concealable firearms containing lead ammunition, provided that the firearm is possessed for personal protection and is not used to take or assist in the take of wildlife.”

Also if I run into a bear I’m going to want penetration while I mag dump into it.

I've used Underwood with their 40 Super 140gr offering. I made a 400 CorBon barrel into a 40 Super a few years back for one of mt 1911's. 24 pound recoil spring and still chucked casings 15-20 feet away. Hard hitting ammo and a laser beam.

Reactions: Two36
    There are a number of video reviews online. Tim with MAC has the best I've seen. There's just not a whole lot of data or reviews out there...yet. Not sure we're permitted to post links here....a google (or other) search for "military arms channel underwood ammo" will net two video results for those who haven't seen the videos.

Reactions: TheChief
    My G20sf loves it.

sGNZMKl.jpg

Im a fan. They offer some interesting loads in .45 acp.

Iv'e fired Underwood ammo in numerous handguns in various calibers. From their range ammo to the defenders and penetrators. All fed fine, and all shot exceptionally well. I carry the extreme penetrators in a 6" 10mm 1911 out in the woods. 10 round Tripp cobra mag full of those will handle most problems.