• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Unertl bases

EVILFORCE

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2008
Nothern Cali
Does anyone know what bases I will need. It is for a Remington 700. Pre PSS. It is tapped at the normal places in the receiver and has two holes tapped about 10 inches in front of the receiver. It is the standard Varmint contour barrel. These were made in the late 70's to early 80's. Thanks for your input.

Re: Unertl bases

You plan on using one of the older style scopes like the Unertl? Champion's Choice and Champion Shooters sells the Unertl mounts and you see them on Ebay a lot as well.

I have a copy of an old Unertl base chart. The only listing that is likely applicable on my Unertl chart is for the Remington 40 HB, which I think is the .22lr 40X.

The bases listed for this particular rifle are marked as R and A. According to the specs on the chart the R is .170 high with .600 hole spacing and the A is also .170 high with .562 hole spacing and a 3/8" bottom radius.

There were a couple of options for mounting bases on a Varmint 700 that you should consider as well. You can mount the rear base on the receiver bridge and the front base on the barrel, which is what the Unertl chart lists for the above bases. I think it is also possible to mount the rear base on the receiver ring with the front on the barrel, but this will place the mounts closer together and the scope adjustments will be different.

Be advised that the front mount (ring) on the typical Unertl or Lyman target scope is phisically shorter than the rear mount, and require some thought to base height and placement on the rifle accordingly. The dimensions of the R and the A base are both the same height but the rear base on the receiver bridge will be lower on the rifle vs. the front base on the barrel, this will account for the difference in the mounts on the scope tube.

I have seen the bases offered on ebay for the 700 a few times in the past, usually sell for $30 to $50 depending on who is bidding. The rear mount looks unique in that the locking cup is forward of both screw holes, so it appears offset and hangs over the open area of the action above the bolt when on the rifle.

If your rear base will be on the receiver it has .860" hole spacing. Get the lowest base they have. Typically this will be around .175"

The front base on the barrel should have .562" hole spacing but someone could have drilled it for whatever they had on hand so check the spacing. The height is not critical, the idea is to have the elevation adjustment where you want it and also to possibly adjust the eyepiece for bolt clearance or cheek/eye height. My Rem 700 Varmint from the mid 1980's used a .325" front base. You could probably get away with a .275 or a .375 if you had to. Also, the center to center spacing on the blocks should be 7.2" (not 7.25"). If it is more the adjustments will be less than .25MOA if the spacing is less than 7.2" then the adjustments will be greater than .25MOA.

edited to add: If your scope has a HUGE objective bell you will need a higher front base to allow clearance. If you have a normal 1.25 or 1.5 Unertl scope then I would buy a .275 and a .325 front block.

I know this is an old thread, found it with Yahoo search.

I'm going to be eventually mounting a your nurdle scope, have a 60s era 40x 22LR HB that I'm trying to hunt down the rear receiver base... The back/rear receiver one that hangs over the port a little bit.

As long as I'm asking, does anybody know what that back rear hole spacing is, also need the radius...