• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Uniflow + Varget = Issue??

TAC308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I followed the instructions for the Uniflow (RCBS) to throw a pound to help "smooth it out."

But the entire time I was throwing powder I would sometimes have to rotate the handle many times before it would rotate all the way up and dispense the powder... It was like the powder is getting stuck in the Uniflow...

I know Varget is a stick powder but it should be that rough to run through a Uniflow should it??

I was afraid to apply too much pressure so I kept raising and lowering the handle smooth and easy until the Uniflow decided to throw the charge...

Please help.

Re: Uniflow + Varget = Issue??

I throw varget with my uniflow all the time. My uniflow is old, so I don't know anything about breaking one in, but a whole pound sounds like a lot.

Anyway... varget doesn't meter GREAT thru mine. I adjust it to throw right near my target, which is say......45gr. It'll usually do it +/- .15gr, but occasionally as far off as +/- .3 or .4gr.

The resistance you feel in the lever is normal. My technique is to flip the lever down with a purposeful, quick motion, that will cause it to pass right through the "crunch zone" without hanging up. Doing what you're doing (flipping the lever back and forth until it swings smoothly all the way) is ok, but WILL throw a heavy charge - I promise. Mine will go over by as much as .5 if I do that. I've never tried it, but maybe if you rap the stop several times EVERY time, it'll be consistent for you...just set it that way and rock on. Again, never tried it so I don't know for sure.

When using a uniflow, you need to develop a feel for it, because your movement will affect the charge. How hard the lever hits the stop on the upstroke affects the charge....you'll get the hang of it.

Remember that the "crunch" you feel is sticks of powder being broken. A couple broken sticks in a case is fine, but if you start crunching charges and dumping them back into your bottle, you'll end up with lots of broken sticks - which will affect the burn rate. It would have to be VERY severe to be a danger, but something to keep in mind when loading some badass sniper ammo.

Like Turbo54 said, the resistance you are feeling is the powder kernels being cut in half. All powder measures of this type do that. You need to just develop a consistent motion and cut through the powder kernel.

Consistency is your friend. No matter how you do it... do it the same EACH AND EVERY TIME. If you vary the way you throw you will get inconsistent charges. Up the same, down the same... every time.
wink.gif

Thanks guys. I'll try it again tonight and hope for better results.

I was afraid to raise the lever too hard and cut the powder thinking that there would be a fire. LOL.

I'm new to reloading so I will err on the side of caution.

I turned mine around with the adjustment on the back and switched the handle around. Now it cuts on the downstroke and is much easier to manipulate. Been that way for 20 years now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Casselton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I turned mine around with the adjustment on the back and switched the handle around. Now it cuts on the downstroke and is much easier to manipulate. Been that way for 20 years now </div></div>

I second that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trental</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like Turbo54 said, the resistance you are feeling is the powder kernels being cut in half. All powder measures of this type do that. You need to just develop a consistent motion and cut through the powder kernel.

Consistency is your friend. No matter how you do it... do it the same EACH AND EVERY TIME. If you vary the way you throw you will get inconsistent charges. Up the same, down the same... every time.
wink.gif
</div></div>

I had this problem with my Uniflow too, I switched to the Lee Perfect Powder measure and haven't had any problems since. Best $20 you can spend on reloading.

When throwing Varget through my uniflow, I always throw about .2 grains light, and then trickle up. It takes a bit longer, but it gets rid of the .2 variation you can get if you don't...

Does that actually do anything? I cant picture how its any different... ahhhh loss of brain power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does that actually do anything? I cant picture how its any different... ahhhh loss of brain power. </div></div>

I can see where it helps... it cuts/throws on the down stroke...

Thanks the picture! That helps...

I was able to throw some pretty consistent charges last night once I knew that cutting powder wasn't going to cause a fire... LOL. Thanks for the tip guys...

I have (5) recipes that I'm starting with... 41 gr - 43.5 gr... I'm using 175 SMK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TAC308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does that actually do anything? I cant picture how its any different... ahhhh loss of brain power. </div></div>

I can see where it helps... it cuts/throws on the down stroke...

Thanks the picture! That helps...

I was able to throw some pretty consistent charges last night once I knew that cutting powder wasn't going to cause a fire... LOL. Thanks for the tip guys...

I have (5) recipes that I'm starting with... 41 gr - 43.5 gr... I'm using 175 SMK.
</div></div>

Glad to hear it. I hadn't realized that my uniflow has also been flipped. Mine probably 30 years old, but I only got it 2 years ago.

I recommend a couple things to you:

1. Find your max charge weight with bullets on the lands by finding the OAL for bullets to the lands, then loading cartridges ranging from 39gr to 47gr. Fire them one by one until you see the FIRST sign of pressure. You will almost certainly NOT make it to 47gr. STOP at first sign of pressure.

2. Run a "ladder test" to quickly zero in on your load. A search will provide lots of info on this.

I suspect you should be able to safely load much more than 43.5gr with a 175smk (bullet seated OFF the lands), but its a fine place to start!

My OAL is around 2.805. I figured that was a good place to start.

I will search for the ladder test. Thanks for the tip.

Do most shoot at 100 yards to determine the best load? What am I looking for? Best groups?? Must I buy a chrono??

Kind of off topic but what the hell...

In general, the longer the range the better. 100 yards is pretty short. A chrony is nice but not required.