• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

United passenger forcibly removed from over booked flight.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I think someone is going to pay big for this. I can see no reason for a paying pssenger to be bumped so airline personal can ravel. Bad press.
    [h=1]United passenger forcibly removed from flight after refusing to give up seat[/h]
    9197dca0-94e1-11e6-9718-4d4a4a2e45f0_US-News.jpg
    Christopher Wilson,Yahoo News 1 hour 50 minutes ago
    A United passenger was forcibly removed from a flight from Chicago to Louisville after he refused to voluntarily give up his seat.

Fellow passengers on the flight posted jarring videos late Sunday night of uniformed men dragging the man off of the flight after what United called an “overbook situation.”

“Flight 3411 from Chicago to Louisville was overbooked,” a United spokesperson told Yahoo News when asked about the incident. “After our team looked for volunteers, one customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate.”

Audra D. Bridges and Tyler Bridges posted video of the incident:

Louisville resident Jayse Anspach posted an alternate angle of the scene:

Bridges and Anspach gave similar accounts of the incident to the Louisville Courier-Journal and on Twitter: United had overbooked the flight and was looking for four volunteers to leave the plane in order to send four United crew members to Louisville. Passengers were allowed to board and United offered $800 to anyone who gave up their seat, but when there were no volunteers, United said a computer would randomly select four passengers. The man in the video claimed to be a doctor who had patients to see in the morning and refused to leave, at which point airport security dragged him off the plane.

The United Contract of Carriage lays out specific policies for passengers who are not allowed to board overbooked flights but doesn’t cite policy for removing passengers who are already seated on such flights.

The videos started a social media firestorm, the second in as many months for the airline. It drew criticism in March after refusing to allow two female passengers to board because they were wearing leggings. In an email statement, United told Yahoo Style that the travelers could not board because their pants “were not in compliance with dress code policy for company benefit travel.” According to the spokesperson, “There are different rules for these privileges because people are flying for free.” It also noted that regular-paying customers are welcome to wear leggings aboard its flights.

how stupid, if they had gone to 1000.00 i bet they would have had a taker...
    the doctor is going to sue the shit out of them, deservably so...

When I saw the video all I could think of was how that conversation went with the police/security before the incident. I'm not sure wtf could've been going through the cops' heads to say "sure, we'll forcibly a passenger for a non-criminal offense"

The way things are today the people filming the incident were lucky not to be arrested for filming the TSA in the preformance of their duties. The airling should have upped the offer to volunteer to deplane.

As someone who worked in the airlines for 15 years, the people who run the airlines only care about profits and stock options. They don't care about people, employees or passengers. They obviously got caught short of flight crews because they are working flight crews to the limit and don't have enough crews. Instead of cancelling flights, they had to bump revenue passengers to get the flight crew repositioned. These are the same people who transfer assets from one airline to another, intentionally bankrupting the airline and pension funds, laying off tens of thousands of employees. They escape with their golden parachute of compensation, and then end up working in management at the airline they transferred all the assets to. Also, they farm out aircraft maintenance over seas to questionable companies, knowing they don't have to comply with FAA regulations on maintenance performed outside the USA. Meanwhile the flying public has no clue about aircraft safety and the risks that these airlines are willing to take with your life.

I am sure they will offer him some worthless frequent flyer miles for his inconvenience

As someone who worked in the airlines for 15 years, the people who run the airlines only care about profits and stock options. They don't care about people, employees or passengers. They obviously got caught short of flight crews because they are working flight crews to the limit and don't have enough crews. Instead of cancelling flights, they had to bump revenue passengers to get the flight crew repositioned. These are the same people who transfer assets from one airline to another, intentionally bankrupting the airline and pension funds, laying off tens of thousands of employees. They escape with their golden parachute of compensation, and then end up working in management at the airline they transferred all the assets to. Also, they farm out aircraft maintenance over seas to questionable companies, knowing they don't have to comply with FAA regulations on maintenance performed outside the USA. Meanwhile the flying public has no clue about aircraft safety and the risks that these airlines are willing to take with your life.

My father was a captain for TWA before they went down the drain. Back in those days (40s-60's) this would not have happened. Things have surely changed. When I was really young dad would go into Kennedy or Newark to do paper work and Id go into the hangers to play around on the planes being serviced. Can you see that today?

Last edited:
    None of this really surprises me. As someone who flies 200K miles per year all I have to say is that United is the WORST airline to fly. They are more expensive and have the worst CS of any airline out there. The fact that they bumped paying customers over their crews is also not surprising. They probably had a delay elsewhere and had to get a crew in to take over from another crew due to the restrictions.

Airport security definitely overreacted in this case. There will be some serious reparations to be made.

In the end everything goes back to politics and money. When Obama was president his Billioniar Butt Buddies paid him to allow them to merge enough airlines to destroy competition in that industry. So now it is all about fuck the customer and take his money. The Politicians who should never have allowed so many airline mergers (I miss Northwest--Delta sucks on the routes I fly) will come in in a few years and offer to pass a bunch of regulations that are supposed to help us but in reality only give more power to bureaucrats. We need a market place that allowes competition so that airlines that can't offer good customer service loose customers. Right now your only choice is to drive, and if you are going to Europe or Asia that is not a good choice for most of us.

While I was on the company computer(airline I worked for) checking out flights to take the family on vacation, I saw flights that they would oversell at 128 percent of the aircraft capacity! So much for employees trying to use their flying benefits, or poor suckers who think their frequent flier miles will get them on a flight when they want to.

Airlines used to have the largest lobby group in Washington DC, behind oil companies. Once airlines were deregulated in 1978 by carter, we went from over 100 us airlines to a handful that we have today. The trend has been to keep merging until airlines have created monopolies. Airline Labor has been held down by the railway labor act and the president appointed National Labor Relations Board. In the case of Northwest Airlines, Elaine Chow was put on the NLRB, which prevented northwest airlines pilots, mechanics, flight attendants, baggage handlers, from negotiating contracts during the booming 90's, and then she ended up on the board of directors....at northwest airlines to get financially enriched!

Somewhat related along the lines of government intervention in free markets, its worth a watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJvVwXCu2g4
    A while back i came across a website talking about Under Armor and Nike Synthetic material and how like plastic bags polyester will still be in a landfill 100 years from now. Meanwhile This has been banned since 1937 all because of dupont, yet briefly brought back for WWII.

None of this really surprises me. As someone who flies 200K miles per year all I have to say is that United is the WORST airline to fly. They are more expensive and have the worst CS of any airline out there.

Its been quite a few years since I flew United, but to take the "sucks the most ass" award from Delta, it would really have to actively seek new and creative ways of sucking. Delta pretty much sucks at every opportunity and in every category, and their international flights are a special level of hell.

I'll say that I've had nothing but phenomenal experiences on Spirit airlines whenever they've had a route that worked for me.

I have close to 1.8 million miles on Delta and flew them for 9 years all over the planet with never a bad situation. I have heard that their quality has dropped recently but can't attest to it.

Right now my flying is coast to coast 2-3 times a month and it is exclusively on JetBlue and I am all smiles with their CS.

Turning something like this into a large court settlement is very problematic, and could take years. Even though it does not seem right, legally the airline probably has the right to tell you to get the fuck off their airplane because they would rather give the seat to someone else. So when you refuse to disembark you are probably comitting a crime of some sort. If you sue the airline could probably counter sue and then you would have to not defend yourself in court as well as attack them.

I'm not taking the airlines side or the side of the officers who draged him off the plane, I'm just saying that anyone who looks at this as a slam dunk in court is more optimistic than I would be. I would be worried about being charged with a federal crime for disobeying a order from flight crew/police officer.

As I understand it he was offered some kind of settelement mainly to get him to agree to a gag order and make the bad publisity go away, but I doubt it was millions, or for that matter worth the trouble.

you are correct on all points but you left out one area that will bring them to the table with a huge fat check and a NDA, that is discovery, big companies that fk over customers on a regular basis fear discovery. THats when all teh dirty laundry gets aired in a big way and in thsi case it would be even bigger.

Turning something like this into a large court settlement is very problematic, and could take years. Even though it does not seem right, legally the airline probably has the right to tell you to get the fuck off their airplane because they would rather give the seat to someone else. So when you refuse to disembark you are probably comitting a crime of some sort. If you sue the airline could probably counter sue and then you would have to not defend yourself in court as well as attack them.

I'm not taking the airlines side or the side of the officers who draged him off the plane, I'm just saying that anyone who looks at this as a slam dunk in court is more optimistic than I would be. I would be worried about being charged with a federal crime for disobeying a order from flight crew/police officer.

As I understand it he was offered some kind of settelement mainly to get him to agree to a gag order and make the bad publisity go away, but I doubt it was millions, or for that matter worth the trouble.

While you may be right on the legal aspect of this situation luckily for this guy it's all about optics these days and while in the eyes of the law he may have been wrong in the eyes of the public this guy was and is 1000000% in the right!

In reading and investigating as much as I have time for. The man did not commit a crime by refusing to leave (at least before the LEO got involved, obeying an officer and all). The airline does have the right to remove you from the plane, basically the same as no shirt, no shoes no service. But it is a civil matter, not a criminal matter. From what I can find out it is the airline's job to get you to move not LEO. With that it appears at least one LEO is getting reprimanded some. It also appears the United called LEO and told them they needed him removed, without really giving a reason.
    Not slamming LEO, they did what is expected of them when the phone is dialed.
    United absolutely is the bad person here. Let's think about this, no one gets on a plane for the shear fun of it, we all have places to be. If I was on that plane and had a cruise ship leaving in 6 hours I sure as hell wouldn't get up. Nor if I was on my way back from a cruise would I. What if I was going to see my dying mother, or was on a business trip and had a huge client to meet with. 1000's of reasons to be on a plane but not one really to get off. They needed to offer more $$$ or figure something else out.

Last edited:
    When it comes to flying, all US carriers suck ass. This week it's United, next week it will be Delta, later on American, next month Southwest and JetBlue. Low airfare + high costs = low service.

Saw this morning where they've now found out the flight was NOT overbooked after all, merely sold-out. Apparently they just wanted the seats for their crew. I can understand the need to get critical flight crew to other areas so that other flights aren't cancelled, etc., but this solution appears to be straight out of a govt. bureaucrat's playbook, with no ability to apply common sense to the situation.

You mean to say that another airline sucks worse than American ? Swore them off in 1997, haven't set foot on one of their airplanes since. However, I'm under no delusions that they have missed me. It does put a smile on my face knowing that I have flown a million miles with Alaska/Delta and American got none of that business.

Also, looks like no reason to change, particularly not to United.

Saw this morning where they've now found out the flight was NOT overbooked after all, merely sold-out. Apparently they just wanted the seats for their crew. I can understand the need to get critical flight crew to other areas so that other flights aren't cancelled, etc., but this solution appears to be straight out of a govt. bureaucrat's playbook, with no ability to apply common sense to the situation.

It has been known from the first moment that passengers were being bumped for United employees ( for work). It is also being reported that after his removal a 2nd time (he ran back on the plane and went in a lavatory) that a father with a 8 year old daughter and a teacher with 8 students on a field trip got off the plane. So the plane took off with 11 empty seats.

I read that United stock took a major hit....

Did it ever occur to you that the reason your life is hard is because it's hard being an idiot?

It is an acquired and refined skill that one must use or loose.

When faced with 3 determined police officers I most likely would have grabbed my overhead and walked out da plane. Boing Boing chose to rodeo it out and lost a little fur on the way. Was it fair...no. Did PoPo do their job...yes. Did Sumtingwong make a very poor choice....yes. Could it have been avoided ...absolutely. Sometingwong just got Maui money for life. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

Last edited:
    Did a police officer ever do anything that didn't give you an erection?

I'm beginning to see why Veer loves mocking you. I'll leave you to it.

Did a police officer ever do anything that didn't give you an erection?

I'm beginning to see why Veer loves mocking you. I'll leave you to it.

Motocross and big white water give me wood. Doubt you'd know anything about that.

LEOs are just doing their job. They didnt ask to be there. When people resist they get scuffed up. Not rocket science. I am not sympathetic to people resisting and then crying a river when they get stomped. The airline made the mistake by over booking. and removing any paid customer. The police had to follow the ROE's prescribed by that event. Asian man was the victim of the event but could have made things better for himself by obeying commands.

I respect LEOS and the job that they have to do. Usually they are given a crappy set of circumstances. Most of the time they do an outstanding job. Sometimes not. I still respect them.