• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unknown Munitions Tikka Action

PRSDietitian

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2023
Texas
I got bored and came across this from Unknown Munitions. For the price, is it even worth buying?

Looks like it’s nitrided, fast spiral fluted bolt, weight relief cuts and an expanded ejection port

IMG_1815.jpeg

IMG_1816.png

• Haha
Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
That looks nice, but personally, I'd still buy a CDG or Solus over a Tikka just because the aftermarket for the 700-footprint actions is the biggest on the market. Literally infinite customization and stock options...
I agree there AND you can use a full shank diameter. Just a curious thought

Reactions: FuhQ
That looks nice, but personally, I'd still buy a CDG or Solus over a Tikka just because the aftermarket for the 700-footprint actions is the biggest on the market. Literally infinite customization and stock options...
personally i'm not paying 400$ to save 4 oz but there's plenty of aftermarket support now for tikka and you don't have to carry around a second trigger bc you never know when your first 700 trigger is gonna fail.

Reactions: ID_Matt
personally i'm not paying 400$ to save 4 oz but there's plenty of aftermarket support now for tikka and you don't have to carry around a second trigger bc you never know when your first 700 trigger is gonna fail.
For me it’s more looks than weight 🤣

Then you’ve been buying shit triggers… In 25+ years of shooting 700’s, and 10’s of thousands of rounds, I have never once had a trigger fail.

You also apparently like Tacomas, so I’ll reserve judgement on that, as well… 😂

Reactions: 6brshooter
One of the advantages of Tikka over Remington is the stiffness of the action…

These guys cut the top open, removing that stiffness… and want to get paid for doing that? 🤣

Reactions: 308pirate
Then you’ve been buying shit triggers… In 25+ years of shooting 700’s, and 10’s of thousands of rounds, I have never once had a trigger fail.

Which 700 trigger does not fail? Feel like I have seen them all fail at some point during matches.

Which 700 trigger does not fail? Feel like I have seen them all fail at some point during matches.
I didn’t say they can’t or won’t fail, I’m saying I’ve never seen one fail, other than those POFS x-mark pro garbage triggers.

My “luck” has been terrible with Remingturd.

I’ve owned 2 with lawsuit triggers (put safety on, pull trigger, gun will fire next time safety is switched off), one which fired immediately upon closing the bolt fast/hard, and one that wouldn’t feed reliably… a bolt gun that wouldn’t feed reliably 🤦‍♂️. All were NIB factory unmodified guns when I got them and I didn’t adjust or modify anything (mostly LTRs back when those were popular).

I realize I’m the anomaly, but I have no interest in Remturds or anything built to resemble them.

Tikka isn’t perfect, but it checks most of the boxes very well. This new abomination literally takes useful features away and asks more money for doing so.

• Haha
My “luck” has been terrible with Remingturd.

I’ve owned 2 with lawsuit triggers (put safety on, pull trigger, gun will fire next time safety is switched off), one which fired immediately upon closing the bolt fast/hard, and one that wouldn’t feed reliably… a bolt gun that wouldn’t feed reliably 🤦‍♂️. All were NIB factory unmodified guns when I got them and I didn’t adjust or modify anything (mostly LTRs back when those were popular).

I realize I’m the anomaly, but I have no interest in Remturds or anything built to resemble them.

Tikka isn’t perfect, but it checks most of the boxes very well. This new abomination literally takes useful features away and asks more money for doing so.
personally, all i want is for it to be nitrided and a fast fluted bolt lmaooo

Ok, good for you. It works great until it doesn't. I will take the trigger off the action built for killing Russians and performing in the elements every time over the flawed 700 design but good luck to you. (And I just like Mexican food)

I think I found a winner
IMG_1821.png

As soon as this comes out with a standard 308 bolt face, I’m getting one.

EDIT: Nevermind they have a .478. it was at the bottom of the screen.

Last edited:
  • Wow
I see they took out suggestions and fluted the bolt! Looks nice! I might have to order one.

@John.Warren4 Can we send our regular Solus bolts in to get them fluted? 🤷🏼

I see they took out suggestions and fluted the bolt! Looks nice! I might have to order one.

@John.Warren4 Can we send our regular Solus bolts in to get them fluted? 🤷🏼
after all the questions i've asked you and others i decided to just get this with a NSS criterion barrel and call it a day

Honestly I think you’ll be happier with it then that exspensive glorified tikka because in the end it’s still a tikka… not saying tikkas are bad but miswell go custom for the same price

You are going to pay upwards of 6-700 to get a tikka action/bolt/trigger anyway so its not really that much more.

A stock tikka is a better action than the solus in every way shape or form. But the CDG and the Defiance Classic are MUCH better actions for similar money.

Honestly I think you’ll be happier with it then that exspensive glorified tikka because in the end it’s still a tikka… not saying tikkas are bad but miswell go custom for the same price
I don't think that action is a Tikka anymore than a Surgeon 591 is a Remington

True but a surgeon isn’t a modified Remington it’s a custom based on the Remington but didn’t start out as one.

That being said, in terms of options, I’d rather go with a solus or origin.

True but a surgeon isn’t a modified Remington it’s a custom based on the Remington but didn’t start out as one.

That being said, in terms of options, I’d rather go with a solus or origin.
My bad. I didn't realize it started out as a tikka action. I thought it was a full custom.

At the entry level price point, I really don't know why anyone would do something besides a CDG or origin these days. Solus won't be on that list until they come out with 223 and SPC bolt faces

Yeah, it’s not like the ultimatum de facto action that was trying to be a Tika that takes Remington 700 triggers, but then had a proprietary tenant so no one would make barrels for it. That would be a completely different story. Yeah, these are basically just heavily modified Tikka actions.

Since at the moment, I am just running a standard 308 bolt face, I think the new obsidian solus is right up my alley

Yeah, it’s not like the ultimatum de facto action that was trying to be a Tika that takes Remington 700 triggers, but then had a proprietary tenant so no one would make barrels for it. That would be a completely different story. Yeah, these are basically just heavily modified Tikka actions.

Since at the moment, I am just running a standard 308 bolt face, I think the new obsidian solus is right up my alley
Do you not already have a PRS rifle?

I used a friends when i did matches. i bought dies and components and we shot the same rifle when we had time. So I have a bunch of peterson 6xc brass and tubb dies so im getting something to fill that need. Btw that was talk to text so hopefully it came out right haha

Planning on the obsidian solus short action, 308 bf with a criterion barrel from NSS in an aero chassis and bix n andy trigger

I used a friends when i did matches. i bought dies and components and we shot the same rifle when we had time. So I have a bunch of peterson 6xc brass and tubb dies so im getting something to fill that need. Btw that was talk to text so hopefully it came out right haha

Planning on the obsidian solus short action, 308 bf with a criterion barrel from NSS in an aero chassis and bix n andy trigger
For $665 the solus is hard to pass up. I tried the Mac Bros Evo2 when they were cheap 2.5 years ago, unfortunately that action left a lot to be desired in my opinion. A pair of solus 478 bolt face actions are showing up at my FFL tomorrow. I have a pile of origin barrels on the shelf. I will get out my depth gauges and see just how close they are to the origin in headspace.

For $665 the solus is hard to pass up. I tried the Mac Bros Evo2 when they were cheap 2.5 years ago, unfortunately that action left a lot to be desired in my opinion. A pair of solus 478 bolt face actions are showing up at my FFL tomorrow. I have a pile of origin barrels on the shelf. I will get out my depth gauges and see just how close they are to the origin in headspace.
is 665 dealer price?

Tikka actions are an unattractive option for me because I like two-stage triggers. Is Timney basically the only game in town when it comes to two-stage Tikka triggers? I know the KRG Midas used to be made but as far as I can tell it's never in stock anymore and it didn't go below 2.5# pull weight.

Reactions: Hondo1
Tikka actions are an unattractive option for me because I like two-stage triggers. Is Timney basically the only game in town when it comes to two-stage Tikka triggers? I know the KRG Midas used to be made but as far as I can tell it's never in stock anymore and it didn't go below 2.5# pull weight.
KRG is revising the Midas. See this link:

KRG is revising the Midas. See this link:
That's very interesting news. Have they said anywhere specifically what they're revising about it? I'll get one for my T1X whenever it comes out if it can be tuned down to 1.5# total pull weight.

That's very interesting news. Have they said anywhere specifically what they're revising about it? I'll get one for my T1X whenever it comes out if it can be tuned down to 1.5# total pull weight.
I asked that very question and the fellow said he didn’t know what was being revised.

I sort of imagine they’d allow a much lower pull weight, as that was a ding against the old one (however there was a way to adjust the original one lower by opening it up and fiddling with a spring–I think).

Reactions: LeftyJason
SuperVarmimt and Tac1 and Artic all come with two stage triggers, with button to unload while on safe. You can also buy this trigger on its own.

Or you can screw in Sako TRG trigger. Since its basically a TRG lite action.

The new Ceracoated?

Hmm, if not I am mistaken! I thought all their two stage triggers had that button.

I got bored and came across this from Unknown Munitions. For the price, is it even worth buying?

Looks like it’s nitrided, fast spiral fluted bolt, weight relief cuts and an expanded ejection port

View attachment 8399702

View attachment 8399703
Fuck no its not worth buying..
Tikkas were great for cheap builds back when they were cheap, now there's better options for the money.

The new Ceracoated?

Hmm, if not I am mistaken! I thought all their two stage triggers had that button.
I have one of the two stage factory triggers on one of my rifles. Mine Does not have a button or three stage safety. What is the button for and where is it at