• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Advanced Marksmanship Unsteady Shooting (Please Help)

JTStuart42

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2009
Tennessee
Hi, my name is Jeb Stuart and this is my first post on Sniper's Hide. I've been reading the forum for around a year, trying to learn and improve my shooting ability. I've found it very helpful, but after struggling with this problem, I decided that I need some good advise.

Upon taking up any shooting position (some worse than others) my level of stability increases, but not to where it needs to be. I tend to keep a slight wobble that throws off my accuracy. Even when using sandbags I keep a slight wobble (about 2moa at 100 yards). While I can do fine hitting targets at a closer range, this is a persistent problem with placing my shots where I want them on smaller targets. I'm practicing with my Marlin Model 60 which when I do my part can put rounds threw the same hole time after time, so I know that the problem is me.

So, I'm hoping you can help me eliminate this wobble!

Thanks a bunch!

Re: Unsteady Shooting (Please Help)

sounds like you havent found your natural point of aim. when you build your posistion look at it as building a structure, firm solid points of contact between you and the ground or bench. you dont want to have to be pushing or pulling the rifle left or right up or down, only straight back into your shoulder. when you have the crosshairs lined up close your eyes for 15 sec or so when you open them where is the target? also i find that sometimes i feel my firing hand trying to fight my support hand. two muscles working against each other will always be looking for a balance of forces and will rarely find it. and lastly sign up for the online training id bet youll find out you are doing all kinds of things wrong

Jeb,
I am new to precision long gun shooting. I have hunted since I could hold a rifle and have shot thousands of handgun rounds but never invested the time to learn this game. I joined the online training and have found the info to be incredible. The thing I keep learning is that this is a game of subtleties and it is the combination of many factors that come together to create consistent performance. I would suggest that you invest the very small amount of money that Frank and Jacob are asking for their insight. I guarantee that you will find at least one nugget that will justify the whole price. Just a thought.

Jeb,

One of the things that I personally keep running across is folks telling each other to make sure to find a load that their particular rifle likes/prefers. Some even suggest hand-loads tuned to the rifle. Might be another aspect to look into with your stability.

Stability is a big factor and I'm learning that every time I get to the range with my LR-308...it's quite bulky with a 20" barrel. It's just not the M-16 or 240B I'm used to shooting.

I found that I personally have to vary shooting from a bipod or a bag. If I can't shoot from a pod that day, I switch to the bag to make me relax a bit more and tighten my groups. You'll find a lot of posts with folks suggesting bag shooting and I'd have to agree thus far.

I spoke with a SRT sniper recently and his suggestion was snap caps and repetitive practice with a bore laser so you can see yourself moving and try to make the subtle corrections one at a time. Makes sense and a bore laser can be picked up at WM for about $20. He also reminded me that every modification will change how I shoot the rifle, not how the rifle actually shoots.

Anyone else have input on the bore laser method of practice?

All you need is a quarter. It's an old drill that I learned a while back and practiced it when I started. Basically, you assume the fire position, best done in prone with bipod. Load the bipod a bit. Of course, make sure the gun is empty. Put the quarter at the end of the barrel and dry fire your stick. Your goal is not to knock the quarter off the barrel. Good luck and have fun. It's easier if someone can place the quarter on the barrel for you.

Don't forget to fill out your profile JTStuart42 and Hide or Die when you have a chance.

OP,

Right now, you may be equating executing the firing task with knowing how to shoot. Perhaps, as you pick up the rifle, you're attempting to establish a relationship between the target and reticle before you've considered sight alignment and adjustment of NPA.

What I'm getting at here is you may be putting aim before position. Build the position first: NPA, muscular relaxation, and bone/artificial suppoprt.

One technigue I use particullary when engaging multiple targets quickly from unsupported positions or if I just amped up or breathing heavily from running is to obtain my sight picture off to the side of the target and then pull it in to the target. This seems to minimize the wobble. With practice and diciplined trigger control I find increased control under stressfull conditions. The extra tension generated when pushing or pulling onto the target is often what I need to make quick hits.

Very nice, guys. Thank you all very much for the help.
The online training looks quite helpful. How do the lessons work? And how much free-time do you need to be able to attempt them?

Just follow the instructions from the post by Target In Sight. The lessons are videoed and are less than 15 min. long. The viewing goes real fast, the practice will take a life time. The most important time will be logged doing dry fire.

Go with the online training, you won't regret it. It's the best investment you can make right now.