• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Unsure if I'm in the right place

mark112278

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2013
Ft Worth, TX
I'm unsure if this is the right forum for this but I'm trying to figure out a ballistics question or more like comparison. I currently use a .280 remington to hunt Whitetail in West Texas. I've been researching cartridges for longer ranges for target shooting, practice etc. I'm looking at Magnum cartridges right now because you can just never have enough firepower. When I compared ballistics between the .280, various cartridges in 140 gr and .300 Win Mag in 180 gr, I'm seeing better ballistics in factory loads for the .280. Is this legit, or can I get better results from the .300 Win Mag with handloads. Is the .280 just a superior cartridge. I picked the .280 after long thoughtful research comparing lots of available S/A and L/A cartridges and even though it kicks like hell, I love shooting it. However I don't see many custom manufacturers making rifles chambered in .280, is there a reason for this or is it just not a widely used cartridge. Sorry if I seem to be rambling but it was a long day and Im just doing some research before bed.

Kind of depends on what you want to do with it, and bullet selection is crutial. I would venture to say that the 300 WM is far superior to the 280 especially in energy, but only if you shoot nice big bullets with high b.c.. Then you've got more recoil.

Ok, I will hunt with this gun as well as long range target shooting. I have not played around with load data for either of these rounds, I just don't have the time. I was really hoping someone hear might have had some experience with both of them. Or at least some reloading experience with the .300 WM and could give me some data with which to make my decision. Also, does anyone know of a reason that the .280 is not more widely used in custom built bolt guns.

For hunting you will definitely have more knock down power at long range with the 300 mag. You need to be shooting fairly big bullets (190gr+) and use a fairly slow powder (rl22, h1000, etc). I would say the reason you don't see a lot of customs in 280 is because it doesn't offer enough extra performance to warrant a long action. That said, if you like it, and want to build one or are happy with the one you have, go for it!

How far of a shot are you going to take at an animal? If most are 400 yards or less your 280 is more than plenty. And for targets and game you can use the 162 AMax or 168 VLD and still be driving it faster than a 7mm-08 which is pretty popular.

I"ve loaded , shot and hunted with both. My advise would to go with the 280 for an all around catrige it shoots about the same trajectory with plenty of knock down power at resonable hunting ranges [using the proper bullet and weight]. and if you think the 280 kicks like hell you are probably not going to like the 300 with heavy high bc bullets especialy for target shooting.