• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Up late with a crying baby

Re: Up late with a crying baby

a little of the good stuff in her bottle...not much, just a thimble full should do it.

I knew there was something I had to do tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me about the vasectomy consult.

First you have to determine if she is wet, or hungry. If those are both checked out, check to see if she has a bad rash on her bottom, Or a rash in her mouth.
Next, check her temp. If newborn, a subnormal temp is often a clue that she is sick, if older than newborn, then look for a fever (and yes, you really have to use a thermometer. There are ear and forehead thermometers so no excuses, get a temp before you call the doc). If the kid is otherwise well, and there is really no reason to be crying you may have a colicky child. Colic is uncomfortable for the baby and sheer misery for the parents. Read that as NO sleep. The baby often is calmed when held with the belly on your shoulder or mom's breast, but will awaken screaming the second you lay her down. The more she cries the more the belly fills with air, and the more uncomfortable she will get, so be sure to gently burp her now and then through this process.
If all else fails, (and you are allowed a short threshold on this until you get some experience), call the doc's answering service, you will either hear from him, or be instructed to meet him at the ER or After-hours clinic, depending on what is available in your town. Try to avoid the ER unless actually sick with a fever, or vomiting or diarrhea are involved. Any of those three of course (fever, vomiting or diarrhea), get right in.
Keep your patience and wits about you, it is not the mom's fault or the baby's fault (or yours). Just be gentle, patient, and use your critical thinking skills to determine what is what.
Good luck.
Oh, BTW, this is not really the best place to get this kind of help. Call your Doc.

Good luck.

Sage advice, and much appreciated. I'm thoroughly impressed with the Army's medical training!

Her temp is good. She just made a very large poop for a baby, and a few follow up farts and she's good to go now. I would be crying too if I was that small with all that stuff in me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cavscout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a little of the good stuff in her bottle...not much, just a thimble full should do it.

I knew there was something I had to do tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me about the vasectomy consult. </div></div>

Good call on the vasectomy, but I'll have to abstain from your first point, though I don't doubt its effectiveness
wink.gif

...And thank you for not taking it the wrong way. Mention a vasectomy to some new dad's and they act like you are accusing them of fucking up or something. I just don't need another life to add to my list of things to potentially fail at hahaha.

BlackWhisky, that's a damn good sig line! I laughed my ass off. Good luck with the little one.

Just pick her up a walk outside. My little girl used to cry alot. Walking outside and the crying would stop. Also get her Dr. to see if she has stomach motility problems. Levinson drops helped us tremendously. Lastly, my little girl was a milkaholic, for years she complained about her stomach hurting. Dr. kept saying nothing is wrong. I took her off milk for a week. No more stomach problems. Lactose intolerant. And they do grow up fast, enjoy those long nights.

Eddie

I always just pretended to be sleeping and let the Mrs. go check on them.
Then when she got them settled and came back to bed, I'd make a move on her.

My son did great with a "swaddle me" and some movement a la "The Happiest Baby on the Block".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enjoy it, it will not last long and they grow up way to fast. </div></div>

+1, I was where your at now 13 years ago, now tits and bleeding have bleesed my house

Ah the joys of being a new father...

Could just part of your new baby's personality. They like to be wrapped up pretty tight in their blankets...swaddling works. It calmed my three down pretty well.

+1 on "The Happiest Baby on the Block," check it out at your local library.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enjoy it, it will not last long and they grow up way to fast. </div></div>

+1, I was where your at now 13 years ago, now tits and bleeding have bleesed my house </div></div>

Mine is 13 also...

Patience is required, from the time you lay them on your chest to get them sleepy until....forever....LOL

Thanks for the awesome advice everyone! It's good to hear from people with such a positive and unselfish outlook on fatherhood. Rare these days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackWhiskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point is... my point is, a penis - when seen in the right context - is the most wonderful sight for a woman. But in the wrong context it is like a monster movie.

-Michael Scott </div></div>

That gave me a nice chuckle today...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always just pretended to be sleeping and let the Mrs. go check on them.
Then when she got them settled and came back to bed, I'd make a move on her.</div></div>

Truly great advice and worked for me many times, well the first part anyway.

Mylicon is great for gas. Had a few kids in the neighborhood that I could hear crying in the night. Doesn't bother me as I don't sleep much any more but I feel for the moms and dads so I went over with a bottle and I have some new friends now that won't leave me alone for kid advise.
Great stuff hankpac real good advice on all of that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mine is 13 also...

Patience is required, from the time you lay them on your chest to get them sleepy until....forever....LOL </div></div>

Those words are from the heart, and so true, congrats on becoming a father, my advice to you and your wife is to sleep when you can, sleep when your baby sleeps, some babies need to cry, so let them, just take care of there basic needs, diapers and food, in the months to come your child will evolve and slowly take on a personality, smiling, making noises, faces. I still remember the first time my daughter smiled at me, I took on two more jobs so my wife could stay home and be a mommy, I came home to shower between jobs and she was in one of those bouncie chairs, I said hello my baby and she broke out in a huge smile, you will have one of those days soon, its all worth it in the long run.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mylicon is great for gas. Had a few kids in the neighborhood that I could hear crying in the night. Doesn't bother me as I don't sleep much any more but I feel for the moms and dads so I went over with a bottle and I have some new friends now that won't leave me alone for kid advise.
Great stuff hankpac real good advice on all of that. </div></div>

This was going to be my suggestion! Gas pain for babies is bad sometimes, on everybody cuz you're not getting sleep until they do. Also keep some baby orajel and tylenol on hand, when they
start cutting teeth their gums will hurt and they could run low grade fevors.

"she broke out in a huge smile, you will have one of those days soon, its all worth it in the long run."
So true, that smile makes it all worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mine is 13 also...

Patience is required, from the time you lay them on your chest to get them sleepy until....forever....LOL </div></div>

Those words are from the heart, and so true, congrats on becoming a father, my advice to you and your wife is to sleep when you can, sleep when your baby sleeps, some babies need to cry, so let them, just take care of there basic needs, diapers and food, in the months to come your child will evolve and slowly take on a personality, smiling, making noises, faces. I still remember the first time my daughter smiled at me, I took on two more jobs so my wife could stay home and be a mommy, I came home to shower between jobs and she was in one of those bouncie chairs, I said hello my baby and she broke out in a huge smile, you will have one of those days soon, its all worth it in the long run.</div></div>
Jolly Jumpers are your best friend. Good for pure comedy too. Remember that they will not hold up to a light hook in the ceiling though. Thank goodness it was over the bed....

Each and everytime Panty 6 had a hard time getting our boys to fall asleep, they would end up on my chest and down they would go. Once they were able to tolerate it, they received a mix of poi and rice cereal in their milk/formula before bedtime. This stopped the night time hungers right nice. Torin on the other hand was 'all mom'. That kid had the pleasure of never having to enjoy anything but fresh from the source.
Speaking of Torin, he is currently awaiting x-rays at the local clinic. Seems someone at school didn't want to send him to the nurses office with a very swollen wrist and hand. I am to say the least, a little bent with the school so I have been instructed to refrain from calling and dealing with it. I think up front cost is only going to be about $250 or so, and Panty 6 did say that the school will reimburse us for the costs. Sugar gets farther than me each and every time. I woulda been a Grade A asshole on the phone. I still do not know how she does it
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nine_Iron88</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mylicon is great for gas. Had a few kids in the neighborhood that I could hear crying in the night. Doesn't bother me as I don't sleep much any more but I feel for the moms and dads so I went over with a bottle and I have some new friends now that won't leave me alone for kid advise.
Great stuff hankpac real good advice on all of that. </div></div>

This was going to be my suggestion! Gas pain for babies is bad sometimes, on everybody cuz you're not getting sleep until they do. Also keep some baby orajel and tylenol on hand, when they
start cutting teeth their gums will hurt and they could run low grade fevors.

"she broke out in a huge smile, you will have one of those days soon, its all worth it in the long run."
So true, that smile makes it all worth it.
</div></div>

They beat me to it. My son now 26 was wearing us down, we were to the point of having to take him for a car ride to get him to sleep and then we found out about Mylicon drops.
Things have gotten more expensive, now I have to drive him to WY to go hunting to make him happy
laugh.gif

Our ped doc also stated to use brandy on your finger and wipe over the gums when they are teething. It worked too. Not sure if that's a WI thing or not but we sure go through a lot of brandy in the state.

Now I have a two year old granddaughter and what a little angle.
grin.gif
And now they even have musical potties
laugh.gif

Sheesh I never expected farther hood to be such an adventure! These stories sound like quite a bit of work! It sounds worth it from what you guys are saying. I'm enjoying it a lot so far though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackWhiskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sheesh I never expected farther hood to be such an adventure! These stories sound like quite a bit of work! It sounds worth it from what you guys are saying. I'm enjoying it a lot so far though. </div></div>

I haven't had a problem with our daughter or son but the wife has had terrible experiences with diaper changes lol
She was holding my daughters legs and lift up to wipe her bottom and my daughter let some explosive diarrhea loose that flew across the room and nearly hit my dodging wife… never seen her move so fast…
And with our son the wife now covers his junk with a washcloth to change him because he tried to hit her with his stream of justice once for making him lay on the table when he wanted to play still.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackWhiskey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sheesh I never expected farther hood to be such an adventure! These stories sound like quite a bit of work! It sounds worth it from what you guys are saying. I'm enjoying it a lot so far though. </div></div>

parenthood is alot of work, it starts the day there born and ends the day they bury you!

I can pick up dog crap in my bare hand and squish it between my fingers without a wince. A full diaper will make me involuntarily dry heave for 10 minutes. Don't know why. It cost me a lot of money as I had to pay the older kids to change the "poopy" diapers for me. I just threw up in my mouth thinking about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hankpac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First you have to determine if she is wet, or hungry. If those are both checked out, check to see if she has a bad rash on her bottom, Or a rash in her mouth.
Next, check her temp. If newborn, a subnormal temp is often a clue that she is sick, if older than newborn, then look for a fever (and yes, you really have to use a thermometer. There are ear and forehead thermometers so no excuses, get a temp before you call the doc). If the kid is otherwise well, and there is really no reason to be crying you may have a colicky child. Colic is uncomfortable for the baby and sheer misery for the parents. Read that as NO sleep. The baby often is calmed when held with the belly on your shoulder or mom's breast, but will awaken screaming the second you lay her down. The more she cries the more the belly fills with air, and the more uncomfortable she will get, so be sure to gently burp her now and then through this process.
If all else fails, (and you are allowed a short threshold on this until you get some experience), call the doc's answering service, you will either hear from him, or be instructed to meet him at the ER or After-hours clinic, depending on what is available in your town. Try to avoid the ER unless actually sick with a fever, or vomiting or diarrhea are involved. Any of those three of course (fever, vomiting or diarrhea), get right in.
Keep your patience and wits about you, it is not the mom's fault or the baby's fault (or yours). Just be gentle, patient, and use your critical thinking skills to determine what is what.
Good luck.
Oh, BTW, this is not really the best place to get this kind of help. Call your Doc.

Good luck. </div></div>

A good start, if all good advice. Without details it is hard to make an assessment; however, for colic, and for your sake I hope it is not, try a warm blanket to the stomach and lay the baby accross your lap on its stomach. Mylicon may help, but usually just makes you feel better (like you are doing something) anacdodally many say it helps at first, but does not remain effective. If breast feeding try to cut out dairy (takes about 10-15 days to have trace amounts out of breast milk), and any foods which cause gas if eaten by mother can cause this in an infant and lead to feeding intolerance (brocly (sp), pizza, salsa, ect). Babies also just need love, and alot of it, time snuggling is well spent. Once you become a parent you can forget about sleeping for about 18-25 years, there will always be something. Abviously as above rule out any illness first, remember in babies a low temp, (below 36.5C or 97.7 axillary) is an ominous sign of illness, babies don't alway have fever with illness, usually they will have low temp with lethergy. Exceptions are viral illness, Ecoli sepsis and a few others. If the baby is feeding well, has normal activity, and is fussy a half hour to hour after feedings it is usually either diet related and transmitted to the breast milk or general feeding intolerance associated with lactose, try similac sensitive if bottle feeding. Always talk to your pediatrician as well, should be the first step unless you think your infant is sick and then go to the ER.

Hey man if she's teething those teething tablets they sell at Wal Mart work miracles. My Little boy started at two months. Good Luck

We used Orajel. If you don't think it will work put some on your own gums. Like a cheap visit to the dentist.

Almost forgot to add you need the stuff specifically for babies.

pick up a copy of Happiest baby on the block. Lots of good info on swaddling and calming techniques. We have a 12 week old and it has worked well.

Also, we just started with a bath around 930 or so followed by a bottle and then swaddled and put down. HAS WORKED WONDERS!!!!!! 6.5hrs sleep now.

Good luck, nelson

There is also a book series on What to Expect the First Years
or something like that. We bought our books at Walmart on a
shelf next to the mylacon drops and teething tablets. Be patient,
your baby would tell what is wrong if it could. They are as confused
as you. We have a four year old and a two year. Both boys. I
promise it gets better, just hang in there. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enjoy it, it will not last long and they grow up way to fast. </div></div>

that cant be stressed enough. my daughter is 15 months. there is something to be said about the excited "daddies home" i get when i come in from work. not lookin forward to the teen years