• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Updated GAP 6.5 Creed Range Report #2

Wildwillalaska

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
So the other night I wrote about how "Santa Must be F'ed Up--Came Early With Surgeon/GAP" and thought I would update with a range report.

About as giddy with a new gun as I've been in quite some time. Having worked at a gun shop from middle school all the way through college I became a used gun guy. New guns just rarely get me going as a deal on a kindly taken care of preowned.

But when I saw this gem listed on GAP's website ready for delivery, my heart skipped a beat. I had really wanted to try out the 6.5 Creed and love Surgeon's actions and it even had the FTE mini--and even the swirly McM that if often find real fondness for. It was almost like I had ordered it. Wasn't sure about the PTG bottom metal, but had an extra M5 laying around to swap out, however playing with it, I decided to leave it as is for the time being. Really like it so far. Also excited about the flat shoe Timney trigger. All I can say is I am completely digging this rifle so far.

Can't wait to get it to the range this Sunday--and will get some better pictures too. So far have just run 15 rounds through it into the wood pile doing the pain-in-the ass break in thing. Believe this is why I don't favor new guns but am too OCD not to do it, and admit it is kind of cool to watch the dramatic difference in copper fouling within the first few rounds.

Never once named a gun in my life--but this bad babe may just have to be the first. Did I mention that I am diggin this stick.

Thanks to the fine folks at GAP--like all of your guns I have had fortune to own, it simply oozes quality and attention to detail in the build.

The crappy photo's don't do justice.

Last edited:
So this stick's first day on the playground went off as awesome as I could expect. Everything functioned properly--had already ran break in shots and first couple 5-shot strings into the wood pile, so was ready to shoot a few groups, a ladder test and play with some steel.

The new lot of factory Hornady 140 Amax that is said to be faulty to the point of worthless, shot fine, even the cold bore shot just out a ways.

And a little 13 shot group at 500 yards. Out of the protection of the trees at 100, bit breezy between between 200 and 500, but shot well. One of the guys shooting with me today wanted to give it a test drive, so after my 10 shots he threw 3 in for good measure.

Threw a few loads together based on what other folks have found to work--COAL is based off the good ol' cleaning rod trick as the modified case I had ordered came tapped catywompus and unusable. This is a 3-shot group with 41.5gr H4350 and 140 Amax.

From the ladder test, looks like I have a node at 41.8 and another at 42.6. Factory stuff was slower in my gun, so am going to load 25 of each for some more playtime tomorrow and figure which to run from there.

I found the exact same nodes in my rifle as yours. Ended up at 42.6 h4350. 43.5 and 43.7 stacked at 500 yards for me. Nice shooting and great looking rifle!

Damn, that thing is sick! Only a Redhead compares in beauty. My problem is exactly as George described it, I can't get one in before I have already ordered another. Its the search!

So I think I found a fair loading for this sweet, sweet stick. I wanted to try out some of the Lapua 136's and had a couple hundred sitting on the shelf--so decided the vary from the 140 Amax mainstream. Did a new ladder and several loadings to play with groups. Found 42.9gr of H4350 in Nosler brass is the "Creed" for my gun, and the ladder essentially verified and showed another node possibly at 43.4. The 42.9 shot so good and chrono'd at 2870, think I may just stop there.

Here is a 5 shot group at 100 yards.

Here are the remaining 4 rounds I had left on steel at 500 yards. Measured 1.39", so just over 1/4 MOA.

Happy, happy, happy!!!

That is sweet! I can't wait for my GAP 6.5 to show up. I am jealous of the rifle in hand. Enjoy your rifle looks like you got a keeper.