• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

upgrade b&c m40 to mcmillan ?

Truth223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Central,Il
So I have m40 from Bell and Carlson for my aac-Sd build. Would it be worth the money to upgrade to a mcm a3 or a5? I want to get some work done to the m40 but by the time I do I could pay for mcm. Is the a5 more comfortable? Will I notice any increase in accuracy?

Re: upgrade b&c m40 to mcmillan ?

I had the same dilema, i ended up going with the bell and carlson. The aluminum block holds the action just great my best groups with my M700 are .3 of an inch. For now I just load the rounds into the internal box magazine and it works fine for what im doing. The mcmillian is definitely a tougher stock though.

If you do upgrade to a mcm let me know depending on price and condition I may be interested in the b&c. I know what they say about assuming but ill assume its a right handed short action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truth223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the a5 more comfortable?</div></div>

That is a totally subjective question. What is comfortable for me, may not be for you and vice versa.

I have a couple B&C Stocks and I have shot the A5. For purely supported shooting, the A5 works fine for me. For positional shooting the angle of the M40 style grip seems a little better. However your wrists may be different than mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truth223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will I notice any increase in accuracy? </div></div>

Probably not. And you will need to have pillars installed and have the action bedded into the stock to get the most out of the combination. You can just "bolt in" you action, but then you would be better off sticking with the B&C since it's designed as a bolt in.

There is no question that the McMillan is higher quality and tough as nails. However that doesn't mean it suits all applications. If you are concerned with accuracy, then take the money you would spend on the McMillan and have a custom barrel installed on your current action. The smith doing the install should true the action at the same time. Skim bed it into the B&C and you will have a greater potential for accuracy than a factory barrel in a high end stock.