• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Upgrade Extractor?

SABuzzard

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Started off with a factory Remington 700 action. Bolt was set up (from the factory) for 300 blackout. These bolt faces have the extractor and ejector in slightly different places than a standard Remington .384. Supposedly this was to make ejection of the short stubby 300 Blackout case reliable. Has proven to be anything but.

I've tried lengthening the ejector (twice with two donor ejectors) and have replaced the extractor. No luck. Case is not hitting the scope or mounts. It just releases too early, flips over and lands back in the raceway.

So... Is a possible solution to install a M16 extractor? My concerns are:
-Is the short case just prone to this? Will I have a M16 extractor equipped rifle that does the same thing?
-Safety? LGS went on about Remington's 3 rings of steel and dangers of other extractors becoming projectiles in a worst case scenario
-Does it impact the geometry/accuracy of the rifle? Change headspace or require other modifications?

This rifle is a register SBR, chambered specifically for a particular subsonic fracturing projectile used in a game management program. It's very accurate with that load and works very well for the job at hand. 99.999% it's used as a single shot so ejection is not an issue, it's just irritating. I'd like to correct it, but don't want to throw off something else chasing the other 0.001%.

Thoughts?

M16 extractors do a reasonably good job. One issue with them is the ejection angle gets changed, often resulting in a case the flops right back into the loading port.

Dual ejectors alters the angle and increases the "snort" of kicking the shell from the port. The consequence to this is a slight increase in the effort required to roll the bolt into battery. You can mitigate some of this by trimming a few coils off the ejector springs. Some will argue that dual ejectors have the added risk of indicating pressure sooner due to less effective surface area being present at the bolt face. I too shared this concern until actual testing didn't reveal it to be all that relevant. These photos are of a 300WM loaded to the MK248 Mod 1 performance level. If it was going to be an issue, we'd of seen it with this setup.

As with many things in guns, there are cascading effects to this kind of work. . .lol.

Sako type extractors are bombs waiting to happen in a 180* twin lug action. There's literally nothing retaining the part other than a spring and some clever mechanical interaction. The M16 type fairs a little better with a cross pin. Unless you loading a blackout to nuclear levels, I think you'd be fine. There aren't too many stories of guys "sneezing" guns in 300AAC.

As for "3 rings of steel." It's 1960's marketing hype. A flat breech design is just as safe/effective as a rebated breech. They'll both function to standard if the fitting work is correct.

We do this kind of work all the time. Be happy to help.

C.

19511108_1389061284521959_2921275857355029464_n.jpg?oh=7f4b2493b8c26d136c851a62d59da6e9&oe=5A0...jpg

Attachments

• 19477284_1389061281188626_4236764374538180884_o.jpg?oh=cf7363b7ed20f920d54fce374b8dc68e&oe=5A0...jpg
    19477284_1389061281188626_4236764374538180884_o.jpg?oh=cf7363b7ed20f920d54fce374b8dc68e&oe=5A0...jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
M16 extractors do a reasonably good job. One issue with them is the ejection angle gets changed, often resulting in a case the flops right back into the loading port.

Dual ejectors alters the angle and increases the "snort" of kicking the shell from the port. The consequence to this is a slight increase in the effort required to roll the bolt into battery. You can mitigate some of this by trimming a few coils off the ejector springs. Some will argue that dual ejectors have the added risk of indicating pressure sooner due to less effective surface area being present at the bolt face. I too shared this concern until actual testing showed its of no concern. These photos are of a 300WM loaded to the MK248 Mod 1 performance level. If it was going to be an issue, we'd of seen it with this setup.

As with many things in guns, there are cascading effects to this kind of work. . .lol.

Sako type extractors are bombs waiting to happen in a 180* twin lug action. There's literally nothing retaining the part other than a spring and some clever mechanical interaction. The M16 type fairs a little better with a cross pin. Unless you loading a blackout to nuclear levels, I think you'd be fine. There aren't too many stories of guys "sneezing" guns in 300AAC.

As for "3 rings of steel." It's 1960's marketing hype. A flat breech design is just as safe/effective as a rebated breech. They'll both function to standard if the fitting work is correct.

We do this kind of work all the time. Be happy to help.

C.

Thank you Chad. Great info and insights as usual. I didn't even know dual ejectors were an option. I'll reach out mid-week to talk through and explore options. Thanks again.