• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Upgrade my 7mm WSM Barrel or Drop $$$ into a 7mm PRC

IslandStorm62

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2023
USA
Hi all,
I'm new here. I have an old'ish Browning x-Bolt 7mm WSM 24" Barrel with Leopold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm Scope. Old'ish, because I have had it for over a decade (maybe 2, can't remember). But, have only used it for verifying my zero and hunting so it has not had too many rounds through it. I have never kept a log on my shooting. In any case, I am considering dropping $$ $on a 7mm PRC. I want this, primarily because, I would have the option to mount a muzzle device. Maybe, even a higher end scope to reach out further. However, having stumbled onto this forum and reading a thread about shooters building their own 7mm WSMs.

I got curious and started wondering, if I should just have a gunsmith replace the barrel or have this barrel threaded so I can mount a muzzle device? Are either of these thoughts even sensible? Considering the fact that my rifle is old'ish, but still very new. FYI, my shoulder pocket is not as thick as it once was...lol

7WSM is a badass round.
Couple questions though…
-Do you reload?
-What’s the action length on the x bolt (SA, LA or more specifically what is the longest cartridge length you can fit in the mag?)
-Is there enough meat on the muzzle to do a 5/8x24 thread and still have adequate OD for a shoulder for a muzzle device?
-what is your budget?
-do you plan to shoot more and specifically target shooting on top of hunting?

My thoughts:
If you only plan to use this rifle for hunting, keep the WSM. Assuming you reload have enough components to last you the barrel life. If you don’t reload, slowly stock up on ammo now. This should last you several years. If you still over time want a PRC….
Build a second rifle in 7PRC, keep the 7WSM. If you reload you have common components. If you don’t reload, start.

However if you want a rifle to shoot more with and get your feet wet in long range I would buy a 6.5 cm or the likes. Cheep to shoot, and will get you out more

Rebarrel with a 1:8 twist 7mm SS barrel to push the Berger 195 Elites. Then you won't need a 7 PRC...

7WSM is a badass round.
Couple questions though…
-Do you reload?
-What’s the action length on the x bolt (SA, LA or more specifically what is the longest cartridge length you can fit in the mag?)
-Is there enough meat on the muzzle to do a 5/8x24 thread and still have adequate OD for a shoulder for a muzzle device?
-what is your budget?
-do you plan to shoot more and specifically target shooting on top of hunting?

My thoughts:
If you only plan to use this rifle for hunting, keep the WSM. Assuming you reload have enough components to last you the barrel life. If you don’t reload, slowly stock up on ammo now. This should last you several years. If you still over time want a PRC….
Build a second rifle in 7PRC, keep the 7WSM. If you reload you have common components. If you don’t reload, start.

However if you want a rifle to shoot more with and get your feet wet in long range I would buy a 6.5 cm or the likes. Cheep to shoot, and will get you out more
Thanks for the very thoughtful response.
- I have been assembling my reloading equipment and components. And, I think, I have a fair amount of .248 Bullets. I got this though a Special Offer when I bought the Hornady Lock-N-Load (Single Stage). I think I am at 90%. 3% to complete the setup and build my bench. And, 7% to get mentally engaged.
- X-Bolt is a SA and from the Browning Company it has a 1-9.5 Twist Barrel. Max cartridge length (unknown)
- Muzzle thickness (unknown). I just visited a local gun shop (yesterday), but I did not bring the rifle with me to get it assessed. I had a short discussion with one of the employees and they said they run a full gunsmith operation. I plan on bringing it in, but I have to do some research to ensure I find an experienced, reputable gunsmith. Not quite sure how to assess that.
- I do want to do a bit more target shooting, but still primarily for hunting.
- Budget, not unlimited, but also not too tight. I just try to ensure that my purchases, are more of an investment (did not forsee 7mm WSM falling by the wayside). I keep things forever. Drove of the lot with a 1996 Silverado, still my primary ride.

Interesting that you chose 6.5 cm. It seems like that caliber may be going the way of the 7mm WSM. As you stated, building a 7PRC would keep me in check somewhat in check with common components for reloading.

Big question, how do I assess a gunsmith / gun shop?

And thank again

Rebarrel with a 1:8 twist 7mm SS barrel to push the Berger 195 Elites. Then you won't need a 7 PRC...
Thanks, I'll look into this, but it seems like it would take me in a completely different direction. Hard enough trying to find 7mm WSM ammo. 7mm SS is something I have never heard of...until now. I might have bigger challenges putting this together and ammo could not possibly be readily available

The Browning isn’t a platform to drop much money into unless you love it and want to keep it forever. There is very little aftermarket support for the Browning rifles. I would keep it as is and get another rifle for training with.

^^Absolutely do not do this. The SS cartridges are an experienced reloaders game. Stick with factory cartridges that have lots of reloading data available and known proven track records regarding pressures.

Do your homework here on the Hide and decide what rifle/cartridge best suits your needs. We will all give you our opinion but in the end it’s your $$$

The Browning isn’t a platform to drop much money into unless you love it and want to keep it forever. There is very little aftermarket support for the Browning rifles. I would keep it as is and get another rifle for training with.

^^Absolutely do not do this. The SS cartridges are an experienced reloaders game. Stick with factory cartridges that have lots of reloading data available and known proven track records regarding pressures.

Do your homework here on the Hide and decide what rifle/cartridge best suits your needs. We will all give you our opinion but in the end it’s your $$$
Thanks, I was thinking the same regarding the SS cartridge. On the other note, I just want to enjoy shooting the 7mm WSM more by minimizing the recoil. I can handle the recoil, I would just prefer not to think about it when I am ready to take a critical shot. And you are corredt, aftermarket support is minimal or non-existent. But then again, how much aftermarket stuff, do we really need on our Bolt Action Hunting Firearms

I have been eyeing the Browning X-Bolt Speed SR w/ HAWG Muzzle Break in 7mm PRC. I suppose I just like to stay with more common name manufacturers. And, thinking that maybe, the 7mm PRC will become as common as the ol' .30-06. My Savage 110E is about 35+ years old, lol, needs a little bit of a tune up, but still shoots straight, for how I use it.

@IslandStorm62 so given your x bolt is a short action it doubly wouldn’t make sense to go 7prc as you would then be limited to single loading from here on out. It’s good you reload, and in your case I would source 7WSM brass as it is not the easiest to find.

The 6.5cm isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. The reason I recommended it is you can generally always find ammo, it’s cheep to reload, it shoots well out to a grand easy, and it would allow you to get into more long range shooting to figure out what specifics are important to you. If you go straight to 7prc with a second rifle that is obviously a possibility but then you are running two very similar cartridges and personally I like a little bit of variety but if your dead set on 7 prc you can go that route. Just be aware it’s more expensive to reload and has significantly more recoil than a 6.5cm

As far as reputable gunsmiths you can search what the prs crowd uses and any of those would be sufficient. Personally I recommend @LongRifles Inc. for your first time using a gunsmith. They turn out top quality work and they will invest their time talking with you to put your desires into a physical build. But there are plenty out there. Short action customs is another one I have used with good results.

All this boils down to say, keep the WSM, possibly see if it’s able to be threaded, but don’t drop a lot of money into it. Then build a purpose built rifle based on what ever your desires are going forward, and if you don’t know exactly what you want, you can give LRI a call and chat with them and they will help move you in a direction that would satisfy your needs

after similar experience, the last thing i would do is have a gunsmith re-barrel a somewhat run of the mill rifle. frankly i'd just keep it as a backup rifle. or sell it, if you wanted to transfer the scope to your new rifle.

tikka (roughtech) and others have relatively inexpensive but decent/nice rifles in 7prc that are threaded and even have brakes on them. if you want something a little nicer, you could get a tikka action (or custom actions such as zermall tl3 etc) and put a pre-fit barrel on it (eg, proof) and put it in a good stock (pure precision/mesa altitude, manners, etc).

Thanks, I was thinking the same regarding the SS cartridge. On the other note, I just want to enjoy shooting the 7mm WSM more by minimizing the recoil. I can handle the recoil, I would just prefer not to think about it when I am ready to take a critical shot. And you are corredt, aftermarket support is minimal or non-existent. But then again, how much aftermarket stuff, do we really need on our Bolt Action Hunting Firearms

I have been eyeing the Browning X-Bolt Speed SR w/ HAWG Muzzle Break in 7mm PRC. I suppose I just like to stay with more common name manufacturers. And, thinking that maybe, the 7mm PRC will become as common as the ol' .30-06. My Savage 110E is about 35+ years old, lol, needs a little bit of a tune up, but still shoots straight, for how I use it.
It probably makes more sense to upgrade the Savage or better yet, start with a rifle that is more upgradeable as you go. Something REM 700 footprint really offers the most flexibility as you move forward. There are some really good deals in the PX right now.

My biggest piece of advice would be to consider a hunting rifle for what it is and a precision rifle as a separate rifle for a different purpose. Then after getting some experience with a precision rifle you can mix them to serve your purposes.

Welcome to the game, hang on for the ride down the rabbit hole…

after similar experience, the last thing i would do is have a gunsmith re-barrel a somewhat run of the mill rifle. frankly i'd just keep it as a backup rifle. or sell it, if you wanted to transfer the scope to your new rifle.

tikka (roughtech) and others have relatively inexpensive but decent/nice rifles in 7prc that are threaded and even have brakes on them. if you want something a little nicer, you could get a tikka action (or custom actions such as zermall tl3 etc) and put a pre-fit barrel on it (eg, proof) and put it in a good stock (pure precision/mesa altitude, manners, etc).
I guess the Browning will sit out the hunts along with the Savage.

I have a custom A-Bolt II 7mm RemMag I had built. Factory tube shot ~1 MOA, then one day at the range it shit the bed and randomly started shooting 2 MOA groups with the same load that was shooting 1 MOA.

So I had my smith borescope it, and it was toast, so I had him put on a 26” 9.25 twist stainless barrel (which I later had cut down to 22” and threaded for a suppressor), and blueprint everything. He cleaned everything up, but said the runout and tolerances were very nice for a factory rifle. Now it puts down 1/3 MOA groups on average with my Berger 168 VLD load.

IMG_5130.jpeg
Ballistic-X-Export-2022-05-21 16:24:48.445141.jpeg

Reactions: Evlshnngns
Nice. Based on Browning Tech, the barrel is not thick enough to be threaded. Seeing as there are no issues at this time I have to really weigh the pros and cons of making the same mods. The consensus seems to be to keep it as is. With that in mind, I will just start focusing more on a new rifle. Thank you all for the input.

Even light sporter contour barrels can be threaded for a muzzle device.
With minimal shoulder, an adapter can be fixed in place with rocksett or loctite then machined/threaded concentric to the bore- or you can select a brake or can that will index off the flat muzzle instead of a shoulder.

Thanks. I recently came across an Ultimate Reloader YouTube video on "Threading a THIN Sporter Barrel for..." and it gets pretty detailed. It is pretty much what you describe above. Unfortunately, that modification is far beyond where I will take this. I will keep the WSM as is and move forward to purchasing a new rifle. I think it will cost about the same, only I will have two rifles. The original 7mm WSM and a 7mm PRC. With that in mind I am looking at the X-BOLT Speed (24" Threaded Barrel), X-Bolt Speed SR (20" Threaded Barrel) or the X-Bolt Speed LR (26" Threaded Barrel) I like the 24" Barrel, but the Muzzel Threading "M13 - 0.75" is throwing me off a little. If anyone can clue me in on this Muzzle Thread "M13 - 0.75" it would be helpful. There seems to be an adapter that I can use to mount a standard threaded (5/8 - 24) muzzle device.

I've considered and looked into the usual Ruger, Remington, Savage, CA, Tikka and others. But I will stick with what I am comfortable with. Anyway, thanks to all for pitching in.

I did not insert a link to URs YouTube video, mainly because I am unsure of the rules on that. But if some of you are interested and it is not against the rules, I will throw it out there. It is a good video.

Thanks. I recently came across an Ultimate Reloader YouTube video on "Threading a THIN Sporter Barrel for..." and it gets pretty detailed. It is pretty much what you describe above. Unfortunately, that modification is far beyond where I will take this. I will keep the WSM as is and move forward to purchasing a new rifle. I think it will cost about the same, only I will have two rifles. The original 7mm WSM and a 7mm PRC. With that in mind I am looking at the X-BOLT Speed (24" Threaded Barrel), X-Bolt Speed SR (20" Threaded Barrel) or the X-Bolt Speed LR (26" Threaded Barrel) I like the 24" Barrel, but the Muzzel Threading "M13 - 0.75" is throwing me off a little. If anyone can clue me in on this Muzzle Thread "M13 - 0.75" it would be helpful. There seems to be an adapter that I can use to mount a standard threaded (5/8 - 24) muzzle device.

I've considered and looked into the usual Ruger, Remington, Savage, CA, Tikka and others. But I will stick with what I am comfortable with. Anyway, thanks to all for pitching in.

I did not insert a link to URs YouTube video, mainly because I am unsure of the rules on that. But if some of you are interested and it is not against the rules, I will throw it out there. It is a good video.
So, not to dissuade you from your predetermined path but I'll throw in this nugget... I initially got into long range shooting for hunting but over the course of learning to shoot have moved into more expensive rifles. As counterintuitive as it may seem, an investment in better equipment does save money in the end.

For example, a quality Rem 700 compatible action allows for using any stock and trigger I could want. Also replacement barrels of any flavor can be ordered for a great price. Configuring/optimizing the rifle for my intended use is fast and easy, even if I were swapping barrels from MTU for practicing to lightweight carbon fiber for hunting.

The Browning might be a great rifle for hunting but more than likely is not optimal for actually using in other aspects. It wouldn't be a problem but you have not path forward to upgrade it, you are simply stuck with custom options anytime you need or want changes.

Its your $$$ spend it as you see fit, its a great journey.

Nice. Based on Browning Tech, the barrel is not thick enough to be threaded. Seeing as there are no issues at this time I have to really weigh the pros and cons of making the same mods. The consensus seems to be to keep it as is. With that in mind, I will just start focusing more on a new rifle. Thank you all for the input.
There are options if you have a competent gunsmith available... I had 2 older Ruger M77 MKII's threaded that had super thin sporter barrels. So, I had my smith make and install permanent thread adapters with 5/8-24 threads and a shoulder on them so I can run my cans. They work perfect.

IMG_9759.jpegIMG_9289.jpegIMG_9287.jpegIMG_9277.jpegIMG_9286.jpeg