• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Upgrade Ruger 10/22 vs. Ruger Precision Rimfire OD

rsnavy95

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2020
So I'm currently stuck in a predicament. I own a stock Ruger 10/22, bought it years ago. My friend has a Ruger Precision rimfire and I love it and its pretty damn accurate. With wanting to get into some matches im stuck with two options.

1) Get a Ruger Precision rimfire in OD green

2) Buy a new stock for my 10/22, most likely hogue rubber stuck in tan ghille. And get a bull barrel, was looking at the tactical solutions open sight barrel in quicksand. Along with some other little modifications.

What would you guys do? Need help in this decision lol, Thanks!

So I'm currently stuck in a predicament. I own a stock Ruger 10/22, bought it years ago. My friend has a Ruger Precision rimfire and I love it and its pretty damn accurate. With wanting to get into some matches im stuck with two options.

2) Buy a new stock for my 10/22, most likely hogue rubber stuck in tan ghille. And get a bull barrel, was looking at the tactical solutions open sight barrel in quicksand. Along with some other little modifications.

Honestly, sell the ruger and buy a bergara.... my rprr is in the trunk of my car to sell to a guy at work today.
Hope he doesn't read the rprr threat on here before he looks at it...

Honestly, sell the ruger and buy a bergara.... my rprr is in the trunk of my car to sell to a guy at work today.
Throwing a whole other option in there lol, If I had the money to drop 1k, I would get the Bergara.

Throwing a whole other option in there lol, If I had the money to drop 1k, I would get the Bergara.
Well, I know there are always the ones who do not agree (I WAS one off them) but to make a ruger shoot like the bergara will cost you at least 1k and a roll of aluminum tape in some cases, lol ... don't ask me how I know, there are enough treats on here about this.
Most of us don't listen and have to make the experiences by our self.
You will need no tape, JB weld, barrel or trigger for the bergara, it just shoots... completely new experience for me,
I'm so trilled that I even plan on purchasing a vudoo or RimX barreled action this year.

Reactions: rsnavy95

rsnavy95,
I have built a few 10-22, and now have a Kidd Supergrade. I would go with a Kidd barrel. Have you looked at a Titan stock for a 10-22?https://victorcompanyusa.com/titan22-stock. I have one on my Kidd SG. Best stock made for a 10-22 IMO
Now as far as buying a new gun, have you looked at a Tikka T1x?

Mark

Reactions: MPrimo
rsnavy95,
I have built a few 10-22, and now have a Kidd Supergrade. I would go with a Kidd barrel. Have you looked at a Titan stock for a 10-22?https://victorcompanyusa.com/titan22-stock. I have one on my Kidd SG. Best stock made for a 10-22 IMO
Now as far as buying a new gun, have you looked at a Tikka T1x?

Mark

I have looked at the titan, I personally like the look and feel of the hogue stock unless when doing my research the titan comes out to be THAT much better I might go with that if I stay with the 10/22. Also I have looked at kidd. Im deciding between them or a tacsol barrel, have you ever had experience with them? And thanks for the reply.

ive got a RPR and i cant recommend it. poor accuracy, plinker grade rifle at best. you might get lucky and get a good one. i dont know anything about 10-22s cant help you there. if i was to buy a new sub 1k rifle now it would probably be the Tikka, seems they shoot the best outta the box from what ive read here.

i was hoping for a consistent 1 moa from my RPR but it has disappointed me. Ive shot alot of ammo from multiple lots of Eley Match, CX, SK, CCI etc etc.

ive got a RPR and i cant recommend it. poor accuracy, plinker grade rifle at best. you might get lucky and get a good one. i dont know anything about 10-22s cant help you there. if i was to buy a new sub 1k rifle now it would probably be the Tikka, seems they shoot the best outta the box from what ive read here.

i was hoping for a consistent 1 moa from my RPR but it has disappointed me. Ive shot alot of ammo from multiple lots of Eley Match, CX, SK, CCI etc etc.
You guys are killing me lol. Thank you for the honesty.

rsnavy, heres what i believe is wrong with mine. i dropped a borescope down the barrel to see how much of a carbon ring had built up and was amazed to see how poorly the chamber was cut. i could probably send it back to ruger but im not gonna bother. i may replace the barrel some day and my grandkids are happy with it as it is

hopefully this video will work

Reactions: dinc and rsnavy95
sell the rifle

buy a volquartsen Superlite I prefer them over Kidd if your wanting a semi auto

if you want a bolt gun nothing beats a vudoo

Reactions: XP1K
I have a rprr out of the box and a couple with various mods. I like them all. For what they are which is a $400 gun you can take to nrl22 with a $400 scope (I use diamondback tacs) and enjoy the community while learning a tremendous amount. I have t1xs both stock and in bravo and they are better and a bit more money (especially if you prefer a chassis). I really like those as well. My son can shoot circles around folks with thousand dollar guns and thousand dollar scopes with his ruger American rimfire and Hawke bdc scope because he has found ammo the rifle likes and he has put in the time on the trigger. For me the moral of the tale is buy what you can buy and learn to use it. As one championship coach has said- practice until you get it right, then practice until you can't get it wrong.

Money would be way better spent on the Tikka T1X vs. the RPRR.

And while allowed most MDs prefer bolt guns to semi auto for safety reasons. Semis are NOT an issue, it's that most semis are the 10/22 and the bolt doesn't lock open, usually, and special instructions usually apply. Like putting the safety on and calling "safe" BEFORE you leave the spot you're shooting from. Although I REALLY want to shoot another match using my TacSol 10/22.

Reactions: Funcpottr
i’m bored. I went ahead and shot in very bad wind, didn’t want to waste cx in the wind and tried sk rifle match, i doubt cx would have been any better.
i held to right of target after the first one.
6795A998-9447-46AD-9624-DA6D454A9030.jpeg

Attachments

• C3F36647-413E-454C-B271-4448B0F89D98.jpeg
    C3F36647-413E-454C-B271-4448B0F89D98.jpeg
    993 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: jeronimo
For what it is worth, I replaced a Hogue stock with a Magpul Hunter stock. The Hogue isn't very rigid and had problems dropping magazines. My 10/22 has a Green Mountain barrel, Kidd trigger and internals. Kidd is great to deal with. In looking for a bolt action, I decided finally to buy a CZ MTR. The weather has been awful so I haven't been able to wring it out. It is a beautiful rifle. Good luck with your choice. 1066CE55-EFCA-4979-99D8-CFD9F07E5256.jpeg

Reactions: Cuzz and jeronimo
I have both. 10/22 with a GM Barrel in a Hogue, and a T1X in an Oryx chassis. The T1X is consistently more accurate.
IMG_1993.jpg
IMG_1994.jpg

And while allowed most MDs prefer bolt guns to semi auto for safety reasons. Semis are NOT an issue, it's that most semis are the 10/22 and the bolt doesn't lock open, usually, and special instructions usually apply. Like putting the safety on and calling "safe" BEFORE you leave the spot you're shooting from. Although I REALLY want to shoot another match using my TacSol 10/22.

While my Vudoo was being built and my T1X got sold I did 2 PRS matches with my fiance's custom 10/22. It was a ton of fun shooting a semi auto, but long range precision was lacking, and also guaranteeing the 1/4" at 50 yards wasn't as confident as I was when shooting the Tikka.

I would go with the T1X. The only issue I have with the T1X is that the ejection mechanism on it can be flakey requiring you to spend a few minutes adjusting that spring wire. It's not the end of the world, but I wish they had a better mechanical ejecting design. But out of the box, both my T1X's shot sub moa at 100 yards (.8" averages) with expensive match ammo and at 50 yards, it was doing 3/8" consistently with cheap ammo.

Tikka's factory trigger also bests all of the Ruger/RPRR, unless you're going to spend $200 for a new trigger just to get it to behave like the Tikka's factory trigger.

I would go T1X + Bravo, it'll basically meet all your needs for quite some time until you outgrow it after 5000 rounds of shooting and training. You could run the factory stock if you were a little handy and just drill in an adjustable cheek rest from Amazon ($35).

What kind of matches are you planning on?

What kind of matches are you planning on?
[/QUOTE

Honestly not sure yet. I only know of one range by me that's open and with social distancing and quarantine in action especially heavy here in NY I doubt anything anytime soon. I've been shooting for almost 9 years and guns are my passion but just recently got into rimfire.

So, no one hate me. I made the decision to upgrade my 10/22. Not specifically for a match or to be insanely accurate, but more so because I've really wanted to do it for a few months and you guys along with other research done, validated the point to not get the RPR. My friend has one and with the right ammo it shoots pretty good, but I decided to upgrade the 10/22 for now and eventually get into, most likely, a tikka, and then modify that.

So far I bought a:
- green ghille hogue stock (More so for looks and feel, not accuracy)
- Tactical solutions x-ring open sight bull barrel in gun metal grey.
- Tacsol compensator (For looks)
- Kidd charging handle and Kidd auto bolt release.

I want this thing to be pretty accurate, but to just be a cool looking fun/accurate gun to shoot.

Thank you all for the information! You guys were great. Im gonna post another forum on 10/22 cleaning and bull barrel break in (If needed) not too knowledgable on rimfire weapon systems. If anyone would want to message me and give me any tips, please do! Thanks.

I put a tactical solution x ring barrel on my 10/22, so far I’ve been very pleased with it, I’ve shot it out to 100 yards and can consistently hit a 6” plate, the weather has not really been cooperating with my time to shoot, so I’ve not really tested out a bunch of ammo yet, but at 25 yards it will one hole federal gold medal match. I think you will be very pleases with your rifle.

RSNavy, who cares if anyone hates you for getting something you want! It isn't them shooting this thing. This forum is full of great info, some smart asses and some haters. You must have been wanting to do this for a while, from first post of what to do to upgrading your 10/22 was less than 2 days. :) I think you will have a lot of fun and enjoy YOUR rifle there are endless upgrade options for it.

I put a tactical solution x ring barrel on my 10/22, so far I’ve been very pleased with it, I’ve shot it out to 100 yards and can consistently hit a 6” plate, the weather has not really been cooperating with my time to shoot, so I’ve not really tested out a bunch of ammo yet, but at 25 yards it will one hole federal gold medal match. I think you will be very pleases with your rifle.
Awesome, I'll be sure to try that ammo out.

RSNavy, who cares if anyone hates you for getting something you want! It isn't them shooting this thing. This forum is full of great info, some smart asses and some haters. You must have been wanting to do this for a while, from first post of what to do to upgrading your 10/22 was less than 2 days. :) I think you will have a lot of fun and enjoy YOUR rifle there are endless upgrade options for it.
You're right, I can't wait lol. I get a new obsession with guns every few months, from upgrading my precision rifle, to working on my ARs, to skeet, now I'm in the rimfire stage and loving in, definitely the most fun to me so far. Thanks for the comment!

I personally think you made the right choice. I’ve had more 10/22’s than I can count. Everything from hogue/GM combos to carbon fiber steel challenge race guns and some Kidd/vq money pits for longer range.

Ive also had one of those junk RPRR’s that I ran through god knows how many types of ammo over the course of about 1.4k rounds trying to find something it liked. It was junk and wouldn’t shoot anything remotely close to MOA.

The only 10/22 is a great platform with a huge aftermarket and will shoot as well as you could ever hope it would. My T1X in a bravo edges out my best shooting 10/22 slightly but overall, the 10/22 is and will remain my favorite rimfire of all time.

I have a Ruger receiver I installed a tacsol barrel in to (what was a 30+ year old rifle), and dropped into a magpul stock. With the stock Ruger trigger, it is a ~ bit over moa gun at 50 yards- indoors, with CenterX ammunition. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, but average for a 10 shot group is about 0.8".

I also have a Kidd supergrade. It is solidly sub moa, with the same ammunition, at the same range. Not totally apples to apples, as the Kidd has a better scope and a wonderful trigger. However, if I were, today, confronted with upgrading a stock 10/22 or buying a Kidd- buy the Kidd 10 times out of 10. That is, if you want to stay with s semi auto. If you're set on accuracy regardless of platform, buy a Vudoo. That's born out by my experiences at our local 22lr match. Its gone from a "bring whatever 22lr rifle you've got in the back of the safe" to what one of the match directors slipped and called "a Vudoo match." Top guys are shooting higher scores, and there's less room at the top overall.

Yeah. You can lock the bolt open on a 10/22, but it's kind of a pita. The 22lr matches I've shot treat a 10/22 the same way the centerfire matches treat a gas gun. Stage start- mag in, bolt back. Find the target in the scope, then drop the bolt. Put the gun on safe, then verbalize safe, before moving positions. Drop mag and clear rifle before leaving shooting position. Other than the safe and verbalize, these are the same rules for a bolt gun.

So, no one hate me. I made the decision to upgrade my 10/22. Not specifically for a match or to be insanely accurate, but more so because I've really wanted to do it for a few months and you guys along with other research done, validated the point to not get the RPR. My friend has one and with the right ammo it shoots pretty good, but I decided to upgrade the 10/22 for now and eventually get into, most likely, a tikka, and then modify that.

So far I bought a:
- green ghille hogue stock (More so for looks and feel, not accuracy)
- Tactical solutions x-ring open sight bull barrel in gun metal grey.
- Tacsol compensator (For looks)
- Kidd charging handle and Kidd auto bolt release.

I want this thing to be pretty accurate, but to just be a cool looking fun/accurate gun to shoot.

Thank you all for the information! You guys were great. Im gonna post another forum on 10/22 cleaning and bull barrel break in (If needed) not too knowledgable on rimfire weapon systems. If anyone would want to message me and give me any tips, please do! Thanks.

I LOVE my 10/22. Wish I could shoot it more often. It might be my favorite gun overall.

I have a rprf done everything possible to it, cci sv I run about 1.5 MOA at 100 yds SK match around 1.25 MOA at 100 yds and waiting for my order of Wolf match heard that might be the ticket. But I have been toying with the idea of the Bergara! Did you get your yet? What do you think of It compared to the rprr

I have a rprf done everything possible to it, cci sv I run about 1.5 MOA at 100 yds SK match around 1.25 MOA at 100 yds and waiting for my order of Wolf match heard that might be the ticket. But I have been toying with the idea of the Bergara! Did you get your yet? What do you think of It compared to the rprr
I took the bergara to the range just 3 times, the first time together with the rpr.
After you shoot the bergara you don't want to use the rpr anymore, lol
It just feels like a real rifle, wile the ruger just feels like a toy.
The bergara has no feeding issues and the bolt feels just so much better.
I don't measure groups but to me the groups shrink like to half off my rpr at 50 and 100.
With the bergara I really learned what I'm missing out on, building a Rimx now.

Didn't read the whole thread but I'd upgrade, feddersen barrel, some trigger work, and a titan stock. Mine that I built from an aftermarket receiver shoot sub moa with CCI SV.

At what distance? And was it a 10/22?

25 is usually one hole if I pay attention, 50 isn't a lot bigger, and if I don't get a flyer, one inch at 100 happens regularly, inch and a half is routine if there isn't any wind. Only Ruger part is the trigger, TM receiver, JWH bolt, feddersen barrel on mine, Green Mountain on the two I built for my nephews. titan stock on mine, Boyd's barracuda's on the other two that I added a pillar and a rear anchor that indexes with the cleaning hole on the receiver. They all shoot about the same.

25 is usually one hole if I pay attention, 50 isn't a lot bigger, and if I don't get a flyer, one inch at 100 happens regularly, inch and a half is routine if there isn't any wind. Only Ruger part is the trigger, TM receiver, JWH bolt, feddersen barrel on mine, Green Mountain on the two I built for my nephews. titan stock on mine, Boyd's barracuda's on the other two that I added a pillar and a rear anchor that indexes with the cleaning hole on the receiver. They all shoot about the same.
My rprf shoots about the same at 100 yards, you may want to try Wolf match Target all groups so far been under moa

10-22's can be a money pit!

I've had a couple and the 2nd is a old Ruger Race Rifle. It's never been terribly accurate, like 3/4" at 50Y with match ammo, but it has won me the only NRL22 match that I used it in. Good shooter with decent 10-22 is gonna win over a mid level Vudoo shooter every time! The guy that wins half the time at our NRL22 match uses a 10-22!

I personally would get a stainless receiver to start with if I built a 10-22. Or go for a Kidd if buying a rifle.

Ha, C'mon man, don't buy a stock because it comes in your favorite color or because it's stylish. If you can hold it on one end with one hand, the other end with the other, and flex it, then that should be a clue right there!

A mistake, at least I see it this way, is people buy a bunch of low end rifles of different types, instead of buying a really nice one to start with. Research and due diligence is important to "FIND A REPUTABLE BRAND and model KNOWN FOR RELIABILITY AND ACCURACY!!!!!!!!"
Remember Tactical Rifles.net??!! Thousands of dollars for a butchered up POS rifle! I can think of other factory rifles costing thousands that often SUCK! Instead of stopping production because of various problems they motor through like if there wasn't any and....!
I'm not talking Vudoo here, they make a great product!
I'm just saying that if one is spending the big money then do all you can to ensure a totally positive experience.

10-22's can be a money pit!

I've had a couple and the 2nd is a old Ruger Race Rifle. It's never been terribly accurate, like 3/4" at 50Y with match ammo, but it has won me the only NRL22 match that I used it in. Good shooter with decent 10-22 is gonna win over a mid level Vudoo shooter every time! The guy that wins half the time at our NRL22 match uses a 10-22!

I personally would get a stainless receiver to start with if I built a 10-22. Or go for a Kidd if buying a rifle.

Ha, C'mon man, don't buy a stock because it comes in your favorite color or because it's stylish. If you can hold it on one end with one hand, the other end with the other, and flex it, then that should be a clue right there!

A mistake, at least I see it this way, is people buy a bunch of low end rifles of different types, instead of buying a really nice one to start with. Research and due diligence is important to "FIND A REPUTABLE BRAND and model KNOWN FOR RELIABILITY AND ACCURACY!!!!!!!!"
Remember Tactical Rifles.net??!! Thousands of dollars for a butchered up POS rifle! I can think of other factory rifles costing thousands that often SUCK! Instead of stopping production because of various problems they motor through like if there wasn't any and....!
I'm not talking Vudoo here, they make a great product!
I'm just saying that if one is spending the big money then do all you can to ensure a totally positive experience.

lol if you read earlier in the thread I wasn't building this for a precision match. This was just to make my 10/22 look and shoot better, a gun I've had for literally 8 years and haven't touched. Its a fun gun and I stated eventually I would most likely buy a tikka if I got into a precision .22 match even though I don't shoot rimfire often. I don't buy cheap. I saw the titan stock and I know its better, if I was taking this out to compete im sure I would've considered that. I simply want my gun to look the way I want so I got the stock I chose and really enjoy it. I agree with your last paragraph though.

I probably would have went a different route on the barrel. For the money there's better shooters out there. Yeah they're light and tough they look cool. That's what sold me on mine. I was walking through a gun show and picked one up and I was like oh I gotta have it! Never has been a good shooter, decent is about all I can say. Fouls quickly, I thought it just had a tight chamber but it never got any better so I just cleaned it regularly. Years later I had it apart to add the kidd rear lug to the reciever and bed it and took a good look at the chamber. Looks like they chambered it with a drill bit.

Good luck with your build. It looks nice. Mine is all black in a hogue stock also. I added aluminum pillars to mine and it did help some.

View attachment 7316192
Here she is. Lemme know what you guys think! Very happy with it. Thanks for all the input.

The important thing, is that you are happy with it. Enjoy it, and shoot the piss out of it!
I have no regrets with my TacSol barrel. It hits what I aim it at, which is good enough for me.
The other best modification that I did to mine, was install a Kidd "Trigger Job" kit.
If I go out and walk my property, or hear my dogs raising hell at something outside,
this is the one I reach for 95% of the time.

Semper Fortis

Reactions: rsnavy95 and XP1K
lol if you read earlier in the thread I wasn't building this for a precision match. This was just to make my 10/22 look and shoot better, a gun I've had for literally 8 years and haven't touched. Its a fun gun and I stated eventually I would most likely buy a tikka if I got into a precision .22 match even though I don't shoot rimfire often. I don't buy cheap. I saw the titan stock and I know its better, if I was taking this out to compete im sure I would've considered that. I simply want my gun to look the way I want so I got the stock I chose and really enjoy it. I agree with your last paragraph though.

I understand completely, you like the "look" and it's your priority. That's okay we all have our priorities. Some people like wubber as long as it's stylish to them and that wubber is the right color. Well it's not like living with wubber is the worst thing that has ever happened, and wubber can be put on the wifey's or kids, or friends rifle, later on. Plus you could melt it down and make food storage containers with it.

Just messing with you man, we are all going to do what we are going to do and who cares what we think except ourselves.

I like the look of highly figured wood stocks, and as I consider my fantasy rifle I could choose a AAA grade solid wood blank or a Cerus laminate stock with the same grade wood. I would choose the Cerus because it's a more solid platform to build a custom rifle off of as far as "NOT" having POI shifts.

I do hate POI shifts! I got 2nd place in our last 22 match because of one. And guess what, that rifle has a fancy walnut solid wood stock.

The important thing, is that you are happy with it. Enjoy it, and shoot the piss out of it!
I have no regrets with my TacSol barrel. It hits what I aim it at, which is good enough for me.
The other best modification that I did to mine, was install a Kidd "Trigger Job" kit.
If I go out and walk my property, or hear my dogs raising hell at something outside,
this is the one I reach for 95% of the time.

Semper Fortis
Love the look! Thanks for the positive feedback. Unfortunately I’m pretty sure Long Island only has one range that’s open and the lines are insane to get in I heard so I’m just gonna camp out early this weekend and get a spot to put some rounds through it. I got some kidd parts coming in like a new bolt knob, auto release and receiver pins cause the mag and bolt release pin keeps falling out lol. Trigger job might be next.

I understand completely, you like the "look" and it's your priority. That's okay we all have our priorities. Some people like wubber as long as it's stylish to them and that wubber is the right color. Well it's not like living with wubber is the worst thing that has ever happened, and wubber can be put on the wifey's or kids, or friends rifle, later on. Plus you could melt it down and make food storage containers with it.

Just messing with you man, we are all going to do what we are going to do and who cares what we think except ourselves.

I like the look of highly figured wood stocks, and as I consider my fantasy rifle I could choose a AAA grade solid wood blank or a Cerus laminate stock with the same grade wood. I would choose the Cerus because it's a more solid platform to build a custom rifle off of as far as "NOT" having POI shifts.

I do hate POI shifts! I got 2nd place in our last 22 match because of one. And guess what, that rifle has a fancy walnut solid wood stock.

lol you’re a funny man! Thanks for the replies. Once I get a scope on this I’ll take some grouping pics and post them.

Reactions: steve123