• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Upgrade Weatherby or Invest in a New Rifle?

eazy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2017
Jacksonville, FL
A few years ago, I bought a .308 Weatherby Vanguard S2 and a 12x SWFA SS to get into long range shooting. I've since upgraded the glass on it to an Athlon Cronus BTR, but I haven't shot it much with the new glass, as I've been more occupied with shooting my AR.

My local range is 850 yards, but I recently took a long range carbine course at a facility a few hours away with a 1400 yard range, and I'd like to take advantage of some long range rifle classes out to 1400.

I dusted off the Weatherby yesterday and realized the cheek rest is way too low for this optic setup (even with my fancy oven mitt taped to the stock). It also seems like I need to move the optic forward, or add to the end of the stock, for better eye relief at higher magnification. I don't have much real estate to move the optic forward without the magnification ring hitting the rail.
IMG_20200428_174523.jpg

Should I...
A. Spend around $100 to add a cheek riser and a recoil pad for a better cheekweld and better eye relief
B. Spend around $440 on a new stock like a KRG Bravo for a better cheekweld, better eye relief, and better accuracy
C. Trade in the Weatherby because 1400 yards is wishful thinking with this rifle and put the Athlon on a new Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5 CM

Thanks for the input.

C. But your weatherby can punch out just fine, but a better gun is just more enjoyable to shoot out there. Ammo plays an important role and it depends what your willing to do there.

If you look at your rear ring, you can move it forward on the scope and than move the scope farther forward. You can also add tape and foam rolling mat to mess with the cheek height.

Last edited:
The Vanguard is a popular hunting rifle. Sell it to someone who wants it for that. You’ll get a good price from the right buyer. Then get the Tikka and turn it into a dedicated LR rig and have fun.

Deep down You want the tikka so sell the Weatherby. Buy the CTR and then sell the stock and grab the KRG Bravo... I have the exact setup and shoot Hornady American gunner sub moa out to 800 with ease. If I handloaded I’m sure I could hit 1400yds with ease. But the factory AG ammo is so cheap it makes handloading not worth my time for practicing situational shooting out to 800

Reactions: Widowmaker0001
Two thoughts, speaking from similar experience.
  1. You're going to love that Tikka!
  2. You're going to miss that Weatherby more than you think you will.

I had a Weatherby that looked similar to yours but had a B&C stock on it.... Shot lights out. I traded it for a then brand new Ruger Precision Rifle in 243. The RPR was awesome.... But it wasn't for me, sold it to fund an Eliseo chassis.... I still wish I had that Weatherby though

Well, I've got a new Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5 creedmoor and a Bravo KRG on the way. The Cronus will go on the Tikka and the SFWA will go back on the Weatherby in some low 30mm rings. I'll be keeping the Weatherby for now. Thanks for the advice everyone.

well, if you are talking long range target work, it isn't the correct piece... I had a Mark V in 7mm mag... esthetically, the most beautiful rifle I have ever owned... but it was a hunter, might have gotten away with plains hunting on prong horns, definitely a flat shooter... but if you needed to reach past 400 or 500 you were gambling big time... would be great for two shots at .25 moa at 100, then it would throw a flyer... but that is what can happen with a standard hunting barrel profile... you need a heavy bull, and in realistic terms something other than .308 for long range targets.. especially if you are intent on out to 1400

My local gun shop only offered me $300 total for both the Weatherby and a Kahr CM9, so I just kept them.

I took the 20moa rail, 34mm Seekins rings, and Cronus BTR off the Weatherby and put the SWFA back on it in some low 30mm Talley rings.

IMG_20200516_160447.jpg

For my upcoming class I'll use the 6.5 Tikka.

Last edited:
My local gun shop only offered me $300 total for both the Weatherby and a Kahr CM9, so I just kept them.

I took the 20moa rail, 34mm Seekins rings, and Cronus BTR off the Weatherby and put the SWFA back on it in some low 30mm Talley rings.

View attachment 7334184

For my upcoming class I'll use the 6.5 Tikka.
Your local gunshop offered you $300 for a Weatherby? And some dumb paperweight thrown in?

please do tell the name of this turd-burglar so we might burn his shop to the ground. By accident, of course?

And I thought used car dealers, lawyers And Democrat’s were scum... this guy makes them look like saints!

wow.

sirhr

Yeah... That's Shooters of Jacksonville. I hate that place, but I bought the Weatherby from them brand new and figured I could at least get half of what I paid for it. I'd rather let it collect dust than give it to them at that price.

The shop I prefer to support, Gun Gallery, doesn't sell Weatherby or Kahr so they wouldn't accept a trade-in.