• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Upgrades to Remington 700 MLR

Bamafan

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2008
Charlotte, NC USA
I have a Remington 700 MLR in 338 Lapua. Rifle has had a trigger job to the stock trigger and a Badger FTE fitted. It is fitted with a Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm LR/T M1 with the TMR reticle. It is mounted on a 40 moa Nightforce base with steel Leupold Mk IV rings. I am planning on ordering a AICS 2.0 CIP for it next week. Would there be any advantage to replacing the scope with a Nightforce in Mils with a matching reticle? Any other scope recommendations? Any other upgrades I need to consider?

Re: Upgrades to Remington 700 MLR

wow... we almost have identical rifles... i havent ordered my FTE yet, but will! haha. no joke, same scope, base and rings!

how would you compare the effectiveness of the fte to the factory brake?

sorry i cant help you out with the stock issue.

Don't think the Mk 6.5-20x50 has enough MOA if you want to push your 338LM out to 2K. I have a NF 5-22x56 on my 338LM. As soon as money permits, will change that to a S&B 5-25x56 P4LF. If you are going to spend the money, then I would suggest the best your money can buy scope and don't have to worry about upgrading it again. JMH.

Check out the Razor's. FFP, mega elevation adjustment (~36mils), built like a tank for the 338, outstanding reticle.

And easily under $2k if you call around.

I dont know if the MLR's are built like every other remington 700, but some gunsmith work would probably help you out tremendously. Remington likes to lawyer proof their guns, a lot of the time if you are looking for your distance to the lands you will push the bullet out of the case before you reach them. Having a smith set back the barrel, recut the chamber, and put some good headspace in there definitely wouldnt hurt.

But like I said, Im not sure if the MLR's are built to different standards than their basic 308's and what have you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow... we almost have identical rifles... i havent ordered my FTE yet, but will! haha. no joke, same scope, base and rings!

how would you compare the effectiveness of the fte to the factory brake?

sorry i cant help you out with the stock issue. </div></div>

Actually, I have not shot it since I had the FTE installed. Hopefully this weekend. Will let you know how it goes.

The FTE will work great and makes shooting the .338LM a piece of cake.

Also nothing wrong with the NF scopes, they are seriously high quality optics.

Some will argue that there is better, and im sure there is, but remember NF products are known for their extreme durability and proven track record.

For me the choice between a good scope sits somewhere between NF, S&B and USO you cant really go wrong with any of these three. The mil spec rifles tend to get loaded up with S&B especially with european forces... but Im seeing more and more NF scopes getting out there particularly on builds from some of the big names.

I am still building my .338, sooon I hope to shoot it.....I want a USO for mine I think Ill go with the scope then a rock or K&P bblI have had good luck with stock remmy barrels so I going to run it awhile. McMillan just delivered someone elses stock...lol

Hi have up graded trigger had custom brske fitted and IOR scope great smegging rifle!

Just to add fuel to my own fire, what about keeping the Leupold in the hopes that Leupold will get the Custom Shop to offer the option to change the turrets and sell the rifle and get a TRG 42? Am I overthinking this?