• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Upgrading Case Trimmer

GHatfield

Minuteman
I am getting back into reloading after taking about 8-9 years off. I started trimming some cases tonight using my Lyman Universal and noticed it was not trimming the cases very even. I would like to upgrade to a better trimmer as this was an entry level setup. Can anyone recommend a good consistent trimmer? I am thinking a power trimmer is probably the way to go but I am mostly looking for quality vs. quantity.

Re: Upgrading Case Trimmer

I bought this one

(Wilson mic case trimmer)

DSC_0833.jpg
[/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KOTM-Direct</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am getting back into reloading after taking about 8-9 years off. I started trimming some cases tonight using my Lyman Universal and noticed it was not trimming the cases very even. I would like to upgrade to a better trimmer as this was an entry level setup. Can anyone recommend a good consistent trimmer? I am thinking a power trimmer is probably the way to go but I am mostly looking for quality vs. quantity. </div></div>

whats your budget?

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2921751&gonew=1#UNREAD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought this one

DSC_0833.jpg
[/ </div></div>

What did you use for a base? That looks like a great setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KOTM-Direct</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought this one

DSC_0833.jpg
[/ </div></div>

What did you use for a base? That looks like a great setup.

</div></div>

sinclair sells them with the base

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KOTM-Direct</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Giraud looks nice but is it not caliber specific? </div></div>

You need a caliber specific case holder for each caliber. The cutter blade is adjusted from one caliber to the next so the chamfer/debur fits the neck dimensions. You can also buy different cutter heads so you don't have to adjust the blades, but instead use a different cutter head when swapping calibers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KOTM-Direct</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Giraud looks nice but is it not caliber specific? </div></div>

Yes it is

I like the RCBS power trim pro with the three way cutterheads for each caliber I use. Used in conjuction with the trim mate it is pretty efficient.
I couldn't even imagine hand cranking the amount of brass I do at a time, or over a period of time.
I'd say whatever brand you buy make sure it will take a 3-way cutter of some brand. The Redding 2400 has to rival the Wilson or Sinclair and it has some merit spinning the case, not the cutter head.

Hey said Quality, not Quantity my vote in this "quality" application is the Wilson case trimmer with the micrometer adjustment option. Otherwise the giraurd gets the nod.

The Giraud does three functions -- trim, outside chamfer, and inside bevel for boat-tails.

A Wilson-Sinclair will take forever for the same number of cases. The Giraud gives consistency as good (if not better) for the time invested.

Super easy, swap out the jam nut for a Forster Die Lock Ring and turn the shell holder in a little bit at a time, when you reach your desired length lock it in place, now I have a 223 and 308 shell holder and cutting blades for each, switch over is less than 5 minutes with no loss of adjustment, I could do it faster but I clean it up when I do swaps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Giraud does three functions -- trim, outside chamfer, and inside bevel for boat-tails.
</div></div>

This. I've had mine for about 2 years and it is worth the investment. Different caliber shell holders are about $35. The blade will outlast you.

A couple years ago I was in this same boat. At the time I went with the RCBS Trim Pro Power and 3 way cutters for .223, .270, and .308. Good trimmer but slow 2 to 3 cases a minute. Easy set up. Consistant, I just finished running a thousand cases measured about one in ten no problems from start to finish. I didn't have more than plus or minus .001 difference.

After watching the Giraud in action (20 to 30 a minute) I'll get one one of these days. Maybe if I burn out the RCBS.

If I were buying one today knowing what I know now I'd go with the Giraud, even with the higher price. It took 5 evenings to do the batch I just finished. Even though I watch TV while I run the trimmer one night instead of five would be better.

Giraud is the way to go. It indexes off the shoulder which I prefer.

If you don't do BIG numbers of one cartridge, I'd at least check out the Lee system before spending the money on a Giraud. Fast and precise IME.