• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Upgrading from Monarch 5's Binos.

rgrmike

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
I posted this in another thread but haven't gotten many responses. Unless someone tells me they're over rated I'm probably going to get the Vortex Razor HD's this week.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Nikon Monarch 5's. I currently have the 10x42 model. I'm looking at the Vortex Razor HD's 10x42 or possibly 8x42. Do you think I'll see a noticeable difference in these in real world applications? Kinda hard to tell at the store. I'm also considering the Zeiss Conquest. The Razors are lighter and I like the Vortex warranty, customer service and veteran support. I'll be using these mostly on western hunts spending long periods of time behind the glass. I'm looking for opinions on glass/optics quality. The price difference between the Vortex Razor, Zeiss Conquest, Meopta etc doesn't concern me.

I have a pair of Nikon Trailblazer 10x50's and a pair of Vortex diamondback 8x32's not their HD line,those two seem to be a lateral move to me (I won both pair at mule deer banquet/elk foundation banquet respectively) I do have a Vortex monocular, their 10x50 Recon R/T monocular with a reticle in it. That one has very clear glass and seems to be a step up from the diamond back binos. (it has the XD glass) whatever that means.

My buddy has a pair of Swarovsky binos that put mine to shame....whenever I upgrade I am going to save until I can get a pair of those. To be honest with you in full light conditions I can see damn near as good as he can, when I notice that his really shine over mine is low light conditions, just after sunrise/ before sunset, but game is very active at those times, so it is money well spent to get a good pair. Mine are definitely good enough to get me by until I can justify taking the plunge, but every time I look through his I die a little inside! :)

I'm sure the Swaro's are the bees knees but I can't bring myself to spend that much right now. I can get a pretty good deal on the Vortex HD's so I think those are what I'm going to go with.

I'm sure the Swaro's are the bees knees but I can't bring myself to spend that much right now. I can get a pretty good deal on the Vortex HD's so I think those are what I'm going to go with.

Roger that. I have been impressed with the clarity/money spent ratio, the best way to go is to never look through a pair of Swaros so as not to fall in love with another high priced piece of gear that "you have to have". I got away with a pair of $69 bushnells when I was first starting to hunt in Montana (age 12). I thought they were the BEST EVER! I still have them and use them on occasion. I think at some point we get spoiled by the evolution of the gear that is made available to us, a lot of it I am able to tell myself I don't need,but looking through his Swaro's is a decision that will haunt me until I have a pair in the pack! :)

Roger that. I have been impressed with the clarity/money spent ratio, the best way to go is to never look through a pair of Swaros so as not to fall in love with another high priced piece of gear that "you have to have". I got away with a pair of $69 bushnells when I was first starting to hunt in Montana (age 12). I thought they were the BEST EVER! I still have them and use them on occasion. I think at some point we get spoiled by the evolution of the gear that is made available to us, a lot of it I am able to tell myself I don't need,but looking through his Swaro's is a decision that will haunt me until I have a pair in the pack! :)

I'm waiting for the day when some of the big boys come out with an image stabilizing bino that's similar in size/dimensions to our current 10x42's. I've used some in the mil but they were very heavy and cumbersome. This year I'll be utilizing a tripod a lot for long periods of glassing. We'll see how it all works out. This is my first western hunt and I can't wait.

Come on Mike, don't be a tight wad. You will only need to spend that money once when you get the Swaro's.

Everyone says those Vortex Razor HD's are about the best bang for the buck out there…or at least very competitive among binos with higher price tags.

Minox mid priced around $500 model is the clearest high def true color bino outside swaro or leica I have looked through. sharp and crisp!

In alaska hours and hours days and days are spent looking through binos and for me, I want the easiest on my eyes binos, is the one reason swaro and leica prevail. the leica have a slight yellow color change but both are super sharp and help with eye strain. its one traps I would never ever worry about price. going to and working at altitude will generate enough head ache, do not need binos to add to that ache. no body cuts weight like me but binos, a few ounces is well worth the weight.

Razor will be and improvement but if you can, look through Minox, and ounce + heavier, half the cost and I do not think the optic quality is less, my eyes say a lot better but only your eyes can judge that no one else.

CS, 10 years ago Minox was top shelf, not sure now, maybe someone else knows dealing with them recently.

good luck

Minox mid priced around $500 model is the clearest high def true color bino outside swaro or leica I have looked through. sharp and crisp!

In alaska hours and hours days and days are spent looking through binos and for me, I want the easiest on my eyes binos, is the one reason swaro and leica prevail. the leica have a slight yellow color change but both are super sharp and help with eye strain. its one traps I would never ever worry about price. going to and working at altitude will generate enough head ache, do not need binos to add to that ache. no body cuts weight like me but binos, a few ounces is well worth the weight.

Razor will be and improvement but if you can, look through Minox, and ounce + heavier, half the cost and I do not think the optic quality is less, my eyes say a lot better but only your eyes can judge that no one else.

CS, 10 years ago Minox was top shelf, not sure now, maybe someone else knows dealing with them recently.

good luck

Thanks for tips. I'll check them out.

I would love to hear if anyone else has experience with the Minox. The Minox BL 10x44 looks pretty good on paper and the price is right. I'm not overly impressed with the Monarch 5's and would love to get into a better bino. I will be buying these online because I'm out of town and when I get back I'll immediately be going to Colorado on a hunting trip. Decisions, decisions….

Love my Meopta's, glass is awesome. I have compared them to Swaro's and that don't give up much at all.

I was in your same boat a couple of years ago and went with the Meopta's. Glad I did.

Eddie

I have the STEINER 10X42R and they are very clear and they have the SUMR reticle in them. This makes it great for giving calls when spotting.

Dan you're crazy. If I spent that much on Bino's my dad would kill me.

The funny thing about that is my buddy who has a pair, his dad bought a pair first, and he gave his dad SO MUCH SHIT when he first got them about how much he spent, then a few years later after having seen how nice they were, he bought his and the price went up! :) I don't think he has ever admitted to his old man how much he spent on those fuckers! :)

For the price of the Swaro's I can get the Vortex Razor 10x42 and one of their 65mm spotters….I do like having nice glass but I will say this… I have a S&B 5-25. I also have a NF NXS 3-15…The S&B is nicer but for the amount of time I spend behind a scope I should've went with a less expensive option than the S&B. I do believe I would get a lot more use out of the binos and would physically be looking through them more so maybe it's a category that warrants the best you can afford. If I could find a pair of Swaro EL's for an insane price I might pull the trigger but at their current price point I just don't think I can do it. I've been trying to sell various rifles, chassis etc and nobody is biting so until I get some stuff sold I don't think I'll be doing any more purchases…stuff on the hide hasn't been selling at all lately. Holy Cow has a super nice APA 30-06 and I can't believe it's still for sale. Sales are slow these days.

I've spent some time behind high end Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss binocs and I am currently running a pair of Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 binocs. For the price (especially demos from Cameraland), I don't think that they can be touched.

I've spent some time behind high end Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss binocs and I am currently running a pair of Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 binocs. For the price (especially demos from Cameraland), I don't think that they can be touched.

My hunting partners both have the Conquest HD 10x42. They both love them. I'm thinking I'll go Vortex just for variety and they have an awesome warranty. I think that's what I'm going to get and on our hunting trip in October we'll compare and note the differences.

I have the vortex vulture. 15x56. HD. They are of good quality. Nice and clear. I'm sure the razors are even better. My old Man runs swaro. And they are it if you can afford it.

Vortex Razor HD 10x42 are on order. I'll let you guys know what I think after this hunt.

Looking forward to your thoughts. On a side note I just sent my Nikon's in for service. One of the plastic eye pieces came off on an outing and I didn't notice. I had won them at an elk foundation dinner and never filled out my warranty card and didn't keep any paperwork. So I figured I would be paying for repair. Just got an email with the repair order for $0.00. I was pleased with their response time and the fact that they didn't pinch me for the repair. That being said they aren't in the same category as the pieces we have been discussing.

Good luck to y'all this fall!

I'll try to do a little review when I get them. I won't be home for about 40 days so it's going to be a while.

Bought a pair of Swaro EL's about 8 years ago, have never looked back. I was 20 when I got them, I will have them when Im 80. I cant take anything with me so I might as well enjoy it while Im here.

Casey

Just got my binos back from Nikon, sent them in for broken plastic eye piece, they sent me out a new pair of Nikon Prostaff 5's 10x50's, I had sent in Trailblazer 10x50's, a slight upgrade from what I can see, happy with their service, I didn't have any paperwork and I had won them at an elk foundation dinner. I was expecting to have to pay for repair. Glad they stepped up took care of it. (I still want some Swaro's, but nice to know companies still stand behind their product at all price points!)