• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Upgrading my spotter and need some opinions

lastchance67

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2004
Idaho, United States
Looking at a couple of used ones at the moment, but the main two I'm comparing are a 20-60x77 Leica (non-APO) and the older (light grayish)Swarovski 20-60x80 HD. Let me know your opinions of the two. I'm leaning towards the Swaro, but was wondering how it compares to the newer (green) ones as well.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Upgrading my spotter and need some opinions

Check out the CT-75 from Swarovski, telescope type, i have the 20x60 eyepiece, you can find them for around 800-1000.00
Good price for some great optics

i couldn't be happier with my swaro 20x60x80 hd. glass is incredible, but i have no stats to back it up. the thing that sold me was the customer support that comes along with the glass. a while back my uncle sent in an OLD pair of binos and asked them to clean up the glass a bit. due to the new technology, swaro couldn't do anything with the old binos, so they sent them back saying 'sorry, no can do'. with the 'sorry' letter they included a new set of 8X30's. and, if you call Dell at swaro (sales) he will work with you on the price. he saved me a bunch of money on the spotting scope and 25x50 eye piece. peace of mind knowing you will be taken care of when you drop some good coin on a product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coltar1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at a couple of used ones at the moment, but the main two I'm comparing are a 20-60x77 Leica (non-APO) and the older (light grayish)Swarovski 20-60x80 HD. Let me know your opinions of the two. I'm leaning towards the Swaro, but was wondering how it compares to the newer (green) ones as well.

Thanks in advance. </div></div>
The 77mm Leica Televid is an older, but still excellent scope. My experience with Swarovski 20-60X80mm HDs' is imited to the green rubber armored units, which have extreme clarity and color rendition. I don't care for the Swarovski's Helical Focus, but YMMV. If you're looking in the Swarovski HD range, you should definitely be looking at the [88mm] Kowa Prominar 883 ("Angled") or 884 ("Straight") scope. The 88mm Fluorite Lens Prominars are currently the Kings of image quality.

Lastly, if you want awesome image quality combined with a MIL-based reticle look at the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Optolyth S80 ("Angled") HD Compact</span></span> or the G80 ("Straight") HD scope. Not only do the Optolyth Compacts have extreme clarity and wonderful color rendition, but Optolyth is the only manufacturer that I know of that offers WA MIL Eyepieces with ROTATING RETICLES. The reticles in the Optolyth 30X WA and 45X WA rotate 360 degrees independently of the Eyepiece Housing. This allows the observer to orient the reticle to be parallel with the horizon, or anyway they want to be to able to measure objects to range or call corrections regardless of the orientation of the spotting scope itself.

Non-rotating reticles work fine <span style="font-style: italic">if you always have the scope setup with the reticle at "12:00", but rotate the scope within it's Collar away from 12:00 and see what happens.</span> You can sort of "fake it" with a "straight" spotter by turning the spotter only in 90 degree increments, but forget in any other increments and with "angled" scopes.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Angled" spotter set-up with Eyepiece at 12:00. This is the only position an Eyepiece with a non-rotating reticle actually aligns the
reticle parallel with the horizon. A "straight" spotting scope can fake a parallel horizon if rotated in 90 degree increments only:</span></span>
S80HDCompactGT1550TRRSBH-30LROverheadSTRAIGHT8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller + RRS BH-30 LR and Optolyth S80 HD Compact w/30X WA MIL Reticle Eyepiece. Here the scope is set-up to
the Left of the shooter/spotter. The spotting scope has been rotated to the Right within it's Collar, while the Eyepiece's Reticle has
been rotated to the Left to remain "square" with the target area:</span></span>
S80HDCompactGT1550TRRSBH-30LROverheadRIGHT8x6.jpg

S80HDCompactGT1550TRRSBH-30LRRSFA18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller + RRS BH-30 LR and Optolyth S80 HD Compact w/30X WA MIL Reticle Eyepiece. Here the scope is set-up to
the Right of the shooter/spotter. The spotting scope has been rotated to the Left within it's Collar, while the Eyepiece's Reticle has
been rotated to the Right to remain "square" with the target area:</span></span>
S80HDCompactGT1550TRRSBH-30LROverheadLEFT8x6.jpg

S80HDCompactGT1550TRRSBH-30LRLSRA38x6.jpg

S80HDCompactGT1550TRRSBH-30LRLSFA28x6.jpg

Keith

I really like my Swaro, but it's usually the only one on the line at a match, everyone else seems to be using Kowas. I think I can see a difference, but it may be memories of the price....

I think everyones eyes are different, you should look through both and choose.

Kowa's service department is very good. I had a new shooter break the collar that held the 27x eyepiece in place by trying to "crank up the power" and Kowa fixed it no questions asked. Kowa makes great scopes, without a doubt and they are the gold standard in NRA Highpower competition, which is my preferred style of shooting. That being said, I ended up selling mine as I got a Swarovski ATS 80 HD in a complicated trade deal. The Swarovski is a better scope in every way and I love it, although it doesn't really offer any competitive advantage over the Kowa. If you have a line on a good deal on a used Swarovski, you will not regret getting it. The older grey model is every bit as good as the new green ones and swaro will back it up if you have a problem.

Good luck,
Erik