• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Upgrading PRS glass: zco 420 vs 527?

4O6shootist

F. J. B.
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2021
USA
I shot this last season with 2 different rifles, a 25 creed and a 6gt. The creed wears a k624i skmr3 lsw, and 6gt a Minox zp5 mr4. I am building a new rig this year, falkor 7even, Hawkhill max varmint 28" 25 creed in a mpa matrix fully weighted up. I have been behind a zco 527 and really liked the glass. But wasn't the biggest fan the reticle or locking turrets.
Now that a guy can get non locking turrets and the mpct-3X I want one. The 420 has the dimensions I want. I rarely shoot above 12X usually around 10X. However I'm learning I need to run more magnification to be able to read the plates past 5-600y.
My local matches have a lot of 600-900y targets. So I need to start shooting at higher mag. The FOV at 15x is pretty much the same on the 420 vs the 527. I pinch my rifle against the bag with support side so the shorter scope will allow me more flexibility in positioning in lower shooting positions.
So guys who run a 420 or a 527 can you sway me one way or the other? I've got used to running long tubed scopes as the zp5 and k624i are long designs. I've actually read in a few places that he 420 has a slight optical edge over the 527 but have zero first hand experience.

I shot this last season with 2 different rifles, a 25 creed and a 6gt. The creed wears a k624i skmr3 lsw, and 6gt a Minox zp5 mr4. I am building a new rig this year, falkor 7even, Hawkhill max varmint 28" 25 creed in a mpa matrix fully weighted up. I have been behind a zco 527 and really liked the glass. But wasn't the biggest fan the reticle or locking turrets.
Now that a guy can get non locking turrets and the mpct-3X I want one. The 420 has the dimensions I want. I rarely shoot above 12X usually around 10X. However I'm learning I need to run more magnification to be able to read the plates past 5-600y.
My local matches have a lot of 600-900y targets. So I need to start shooting at higher mag. The FOV at 15x is pretty much the same on the 420 vs the 527. I pinch my rifle against the bag with support side so the shorter scope will allow me more flexibility in positioning in lower shooting positions.
So guys who run a 420 or a 527 can you sway me one way or the other? I've got used to running long tubed scopes as the zp5 and k624i are long designs. I've actually read in a few places that he 420 has a slight optical edge over the 527 but have zero first hand experience.
Also in the same boat trying to decide, so following for input.

Feel free to give us a call at 916-670-1103 and we can answer any questions you have :)

I sent @gebhardt02 a message on FB. He shoots in some our local matches here in MT. He's a ZCO rep/employee will post what he has to say pertaining to my question as well.

Besides the many customers we have running ZCO's in various competitions, Team CST has also used them as well. We are not just the premium ZCO dealer, we are also heavily involved in the shooting community. ;)

ZCO XLR AZ TPRC3.jpeg

ZCO XLR AZ TPRC2.jpeg

The 4-20 gives up nothing to the 5-27 other than some extra magnification. I shoot matches with both interchangeably and don't feel behind at all when I have the 4-20.

If you want a shorter length optic that'll give you all the optical performance you need to shoot your best, the ZC420 is THE scope to have. If you may want that extra 7x on top for the occasional ELR shots, the ZC527 is the preferred optic for those.

In short, you really can't go wrong with either of them. Let the length versus top end magnification be the deciding factor.

Thanks for the help fellas, I was leaning 420, and this just confirmed my bias. Non locking 4-20 mpct-3x is what it'll be. I'll likely run in a spuhr or arc rings. Looking forward to the new build.

Thanks for the help fellas, I was leaning 420, and this just confirmed my bias. Non locking 4-20 mpct-3x is what it'll be. I'll likely run in a spuhr or arc rings. Looking forward to the new build.
I ran Spuhr for a while then tried the ARC M-Brace. Now the M-Brace is all I run.

I've also got both... Granted I've spent more time behind the 420, but if I could only have one, it'd be the 420. Both were purchased from CST (SO easy to deal with, thanks guys), both are in Spuhrs.

• Love
Reactions: CSTactical

We have that product in stock and ready to ship, feel free to PM me your information and I can get one shipping tomorrow :)

Reactions: 4O6shootist
I've also got both... Granted I've spent more time behind the 420, but if I could only have one, it'd be the 420. Both were purchased from CST (SO easy to deal with, thanks guys), both are in Spuhrs.
If only one, why would you take the 420?

Same here, have run both 527 and the 420 MPCT2- sold both and recently have been running the 420 with the NLE MPCT3X.
I am primarily a hunter, shooting steel out to a mile or for practice and don’t ever feel hampered by 20x on the top.
In fact for my AK hunting trip I bought a Swarovski Z8i 1-8 with a mil turret for extreme close to midrange shot potentials of dangerous beasties.

My Wolverine was about 100yds @1x; Bull Moose @ 473yds @8X and Mountain Goat 804yds @8X. Never felt hampered in the moment of truth for each of those shots.

Since I accomplished all I wanted in AK I am going to sell the Z8i and get another 420 for Wyoming it is perfect.

If only one, why would you take the 420?
Like others have said, it gives up nothing to its bigger brother optically, only a little seldomly-used magnification. It's a better all around scope & I think it's the first ZCO most people should purchase. It's a hell of a scope in a little package & I have nothing negative to say about it.

That being said, I have no desire to replace the 527 that sits atop my primary centerfire rifle, an AT in an OG AO chassis, with one. .. It spends 99% of its time between 10x & 20x but in certain conditions (like spotting hits on a target) the extra mag can be useful. So I'm happy with one of each...

Same here, have run both 527 and the 420 MPCT2- sold both and recently have been running the 420 with the NLE MPCT3X.
I am primarily a hunter, shooting steel out to a mile or for practice and don’t ever feel hampered by 20x on the top.
In fact for my AK hunting trip I bought a Swarovski Z8i 1-8 with a mil turret for extreme close to midrange shot potentials of dangerous beasties.

My Wolverine was about 100yds @1x; Bull Moose @ 473yds @8X and Mountain Goat 804yds @8X. Never felt hampered in the moment of truth for each of those shots.

Since I accomplished all I wanted in AK I am going to sell the Z8i and get another 420 for Wyoming it is perfect.
... or I WAS until @DetroitRearView posted. I have a hunting rifle being finished up by LRI any day now & was really hoping to not put a $4k scope on it... But now you've got me thinking again, dick. Haha

From the multiple PM's on the M3X since this post, we have one ZC420 M3X NLE, ZC420 M3X in stock and more ZC527 M3X and NLE models coming in a few weeks. We will get you in line for nothing down and call you when it's on the way :)

Last edited: