• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

UPS & missing packages, anybody having issues?

dmike

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2012
Northern VA
In the past 4 months I've had at least 5 situations where UPS records showed packages as "delivered" when I never got them. Someone was in the house most of the delivery days and there was no doorbell, knock, etc.

Last week it was 4 boxes of 178 AMAX.

Yep, similar stuff happening here. UPS in my area is just about worthless.

They've cited 'bad weather' as the reason they weren't out delivering packages. I showed up to the district admin office, talked to the guy who makes that decision, and asked him the question, "What specific bad weather has caused this?" It's been 82degrees and sunny for the last week. The guy just looked at me, kinda huffed a bit, then told me some BS that didn't make sense.

Lately, if a company ships only via UPS, I won't pay for extra fast shipping because it won't get delivered in time anyways. I just add a week to the 'promised' delivery date.

No issues here...but I know our package car driver pretty well. He ALWAYS (and I mean always) rings the doorbell when he leaves a package - FedEx and USPS do not.

A few weeks ago I had a UPS driver drop off 16# of powder at the local bar because he didn't want to have to drive through road construction to get to my house. Same driver didn't stop a week before and stated "Business was not open at delivery time". I was mowing the front yard and watched him drive by. Friday afternoon of course...

I've only had issues with usps and it's been similar situations to your problem.

Never had a problem with ups. Usually my packages show up a day before my estimated delivery day. Have a friendly driver.
In your situation i would call the vendor and the local ups hub before it was supposingly delivered and start a missing package request. Sometimes shipping labels get ripped off the box at the hub. Or your delivery man was in a rush didnt feel like delivering it to you signed off the packages and tossed them somewhere. Ups has tracking on all its drivers, they should be able to retrace his footsteps so to speak.

I have had some challenges with UPS but overall pretty good. I have never had a missing "delivered" package, only lost. Fed Ex has a perfect record so far but can't always deliver "heavy" items to my locale and it's a pain to pick up at the hub. USPS is the "WORST" and the last resort.

I receive ups from amazon and a few vendors and they're great about delivery.

When I ship out I go to my local postal annex and that's usps, no issues with hiders I've sent stuff to. I received some stuff via USPS as well with no issue.

Only received one item from FedEx two days ago and
They didn't ring the doorbell. It was 100 rounds of 260 remington loaded up. Wife was
Home didn't receive notice. I came home for lunch and noticed it sitting in front of my door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I and friends have had several issues with UPS lately with packages just getting lost. Another issue that happened recently, my buddy sent off some parts for coating, packaged very well (over kill actually, pelican case, duct taped solid around the box, I laughed when I saw it), yet somehow the package made it there BUT everything inside was just gone.... UPS blamed it on poor packaging but finally paid out the insurance part since he had pictures of the package and then the shop was able to show UPS package and the redic amount of duct tape and packaging it had. Long story short, someone at a UPS sorting facility now has all the parts for a new AR build....

UPS is definitely my go-to here. Guess it's just a regional thing. If I'm not home my UPS guy will shoot me a text and see if I can meet him somewhere.

I and friends have had several issues with UPS lately with packages just getting lost. Another issue that happened recently, my buddy sent off some parts for coating, packaged very well (over kill actually, pelican case, duct taped solid around the box, I laughed when I saw it), yet somehow the package made it there BUT everything inside was just gone.... UPS blamed it on poor packaging but finally paid out the insurance part since he had pictures of the package and then the shop was able to show UPS package and the redic amount of duct tape and packaging it had. Long story short, someone at a UPS sorting facility now has all the parts for a new AR build....

I should think ATF would be very interesting in hearing that story.

I should think ATF would be very interesting in hearing that story.

Yep I thought so too. He filed a police report that they were going to forward on. I don't think he ever heard anything back from either though last I knew. I almost wonder if putting the name of the coating company on it since it had the word "Guns" in it was a bad idea. He tried to box the crap out of it and avoid any identifying marks, but that didn't seem to help. I personally avoid shipping firearms ever. If I need work done, I drive it there regardless of the distance.

I was expecting a package one day that didnt show up. I looked at the cam footage of my front porch and saw the UPS man deliver the box and 2 minutes later someone pulled into my driveway and picked it up and drove away....

If ever in doubt, call UPS or Fedex the second you get a tracking number and have them "hold at station"

Go to the sorting station at your convenience and pick it up yourself. They will usually hold your parcel for a few days.

If your box is super light or appears to have been opened, then open it at the station while the staff are there. I only say this because I had someone steal my item from the box and reseal it, but because I "received the parcel" and opened the box in the parking lot, there was no way to prove that I did not take the item out myself.

I have always made it a point to KNOW my UPS driver. I've lived in 3 different town here in NM, and personally knowing the driver has gotten me great service. Now the post office is a different story. They can track a package (by computer) to a specific location, but can't seem to find anyone that can walk over to the self and pick it up. Our govn at work.

I have always made it a point to KNOW my UPS driver. I've lived in 3 different town here in NM, and personally knowing the driver has gotten me great service.

That's the way to do it. I used to live in Oregon and our driver Paul was awesome, fantastic guy that took care of us...phone msgs, the whole deal. We gave him Christmas presents every year too, it was some mayberry shit. Here in the DC metro area with millions of people we always have different drivers and just because the truck was tracked to a location it doesn't show which of the 1000 apartments they actually did or didn't go to.

A few days ago I came home to 4 boxes outside the door, in the rain, but at least they were there. One driver seems to try to hide them in the bushes so nobody walks away with them, might be the same guy that tries to get them under cover in the rain. We probably have 4-5 different drivers covering this area.

Definitely driver dependent, good ones and bad ones. I'm just wondering about their policies, because shitbirds will always figure out the system then work around it. UPS has 17 million deliveries per day. Big accounts with Amazon etc. If I buy a $10 item from Amazon prime for next day delivery, and it doesn't arrive but shows as delivered, Amazon will just resend another item. They're not going to launch a big investigation to try to catch a POS driver.

It's the same with armored car services, there is a threshold for what kind of loss it takes to open an investigation. If the shipment is short by 1 penny, who cares? Nickel, quarter, $20, etc. At some point the count is off enough to look into it and someone gets fired. Eventually smart POS employees figure out what the magic number is and they just learn to stay below it.

Not saying all missing packages are driver thefts but the same process applies for all shitbird ops. Don't feel like walking the extra 50 yards in the rain, etc just trash it and mark it delivered maybe.

With this massive global shipping paradigm it's structured for volume and there are extra contractual links between the vendor and you that delay observations like "this one driver is a real POS". Package goes missing, you take it up with Amazon, maybe it goes down as an insured loss and they resend. Enough of these pile up, maybe it's the insurance company that cares but only when one delivery region hits $500k or something, then they go to UPS and say "we want to take a look at your records"

ever hear of signature required

What, is that a checkbox on the midway checkout page? Amazon prime page? Teach me sensei

If ever in doubt, call UPS or Fedex the second you get a tracking number and have them "hold at station"

This is a good plan for high dollar items. I do most of my shopping online and can't spare the extra hour in traffic to pick up little things. Only about 10% of the packages have this problem but I don't know which 10% it's going to be.

UPS & missing packages, anybody having issues?

Generally speaking, UPS has a large Security/Loss Prevention department and hates a thieving employee...no hesitation to terminate and charge. That said, like anything, there has to be proof of who did what.

ever hear of signature required

That doesn't matter where I live.
I ordered a NF Scope from Euro Optics and it required a signature. When I got home it was sitting on the steps.

While at work that day I was wondering what was going to happen.

Now Fed Ex is a different Cat. I had 10 pounds of powder and they tried to deliver at 10 am. Since it requires a signature for powder they didn't leave it and said they would try again at 10am I called the hub because I was worried they would send it back after two try's. The Hub said that they would try to deliver it three times and then leave a note. I told them that I don't get home until around three could they deliver then and they said no. It would be at 10am each day.

One of my brothers and I deliver for Fed Ex, so I felt compelled to chime in. I drive a straight truck and most days its stacked to the roof by 8:00am.
Like most corporations, we are pushed to the limit and when you have so many employees, you are going to have a few bad apples. One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. Its just like anything else. I suspect most of the UPS, Fed Ex and USPS people are awesome. The ones that are a pos come and go. To expect anything to be 100% reliable is stupidity. This can also be reversed. Most of the people I deliver to are awesome, and I know them by name. But you will always have a few bad apples.