• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Urinal Regulator Question - Replace or Repair?

Gustav7

Son of a Gun...
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Ohio (OH)
    I have a standing urinal in my shop and the damn thing keeps running constantly, so I have to keep turning my hydrant off.

It started doing it about a year ago and a friend who does plumbing came over and put new guts in it. Worked well for about 8 months or so and started acting up a month ago. The regulator is about 26 years old.

Do I need to just get a whole new regulator? I have an old spare, but have no idea if its good. Thought about trying to put that one on and see if it works. I don't know much about plumbing so not sure if maybe he did it wrong or these regulators have life spans

What is the diameter of your top spud? May be cheaper to just buy a flushless urinal. ( i work in this industry) Check out Build.com

Not sure. Heres a pic.

IMG_4526.jpg

My urinal is plumbed in through my hydrant, which also runs my hose. The sink and toilet drain to right at the floor near the hose, from a 2" PVC into a piece of 4in plastic tile, but it is open right there. That tile goes to a large gravel pit underneath for draining. My only concern would be if a flushless is still draining to that spot, and its nothing but piss, it might start to stink. If you're curious, it does not stink at all now, but theres plenty of water between the urinal, sink and hose that ends up going with it.

Reactions: 338dude
    Can't you just remove the cap covering the adjustment screw, tighten the screw until it stops running... take out at a thumb screw so I don't have to have a screwdriver

Can't you just remove the cap covering the adjustment screw, tighten the screw until it stops running... take out at a thumb screw so I don't have to have a screwdriver

well I finally got around to investigating a little and took out the whole valve stop and found the little rubber/plastic stop piece was broken on the bottom side. I’m assuming that was the issue so I ordered a new one off amazon and we’ll see that helps.
    The stop has probably never been adjusted for the last 20 years and I adjusted it about 6 months ago so might have caused the issue there

Not sure. Heres a pic.

View attachment 7329782

My urinal is plumbed in through my hydrant, which also runs my hose. The sink and toilet drain to right at the floor near the hose, from a 2" PVC into a piece of 4in plastic tile, but it is open right there. That tile goes to a large gravel pit underneath for draining. My only concern would be if a flushless is still draining to that spot, and its nothing but piss, it might start to stink. If you're curious, it does not stink at all now, but theres plenty of water between the urinal, sink and hose that ends up going with it.
    I hope you get your problem worked out with your urinal also I noticed your piss on Chevrolet sticker in the background I love it I’ve always been a Ford man

I hope you get your problem worked out with your urinal also I noticed your piss on Chevrolet sticker in the background I love it I’ve always been a Ford man

Hahaha thank you. Thats two generations of a piss sticker. My dad always said, "At least Chevy made on thing that would last" lol..

I replaced the stop valve and while that piece does work, it didn't fix it. I've tried both regulators I have (both old) and both won't stop flushing, so I'm thinking the diagphram thing is screwed on both. Not sure what else it could be.

Might either grab a new guts kit or just pony up for a new regulator. I think a new one is only $90