• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US forces ordered to keep weapons loaded.

Re: US forces ordered to keep weapons loaded.

In big bases that are relatively safe you aren't allowed to have ammunition or have a loaded weapon unless you were on security detail. I was only there (Camp Bastion/Leatherneck) for acclimatization and was chewed out for having a loaded pistol. I believe permanent personnel are the same way not being allowed to have loaded weapons. First deployment we got security rounds but couldn't load and second deployment I didn't receive ammunition until we were about to deploy to our AO. Even in my AO, which at one time was a taken over compound with semi-easily penetrable security, we weren't allowed to have our weapons loaded for fear of an ND. I broke this rule but only because I wasn't as supervised as the regular line units. In these big FOB's I tried not to carry my weapon since with it unloaded it was just extra weight and mass attached to me if a situation kicked off.
Semi-related I was re-deployed into a combat zone without a weapon or glasses (and I'm pretty blind without them). This was coming back to my AO from being wounded. The bean counters would rather cut down on ND's and accept the possibility of a shooting in a gun free zone (without ammunition it might as well be). An ND is more probable than a shooting so they weigh the risks. It's a careerist play somewhere up the chain. Maybe I'm wrong (as I was constantly reminded that I don't understand how it works from the top because I'm at the bottom) but the military is amazingly back-asswards (understatement of the century). They make servicemen/women feel like a loaded weapon is a ticking bomb and should be feared.

I feel this is going on the verge of OPSEC

short answer no unloaded weapons here!

How is this on the verge of OPSEC, do any of you even know what opsec is, thats always the first thing someone says when we start talking about the war.. heres something you might not know, the Taliban know our tactics and the changes the day they change. Talking about the weapons conditions on bases the size of small suburbs isnt going to give away top secret information key in the sucess of the mission.

Operations security (OPSEC) is a process that identifies critical information to determine if friendly actions can be observed by adversary intelligence systems, determines if information obtained by adversaries could be interpreted to be useful to them, and then executes selected measures that eliminate or reduce adversary exploitation of friendly critical information.

US TALKING ABOUT HOW WE NOW LOAD OUR WEAPONS ISNT GOING TO BE USEFUL OR INCREASE RISK AMONG THE MILITARY.

YOU CAN PRETTY MUCH GOOGLE ANY MARINE CORPS SCHOOL FOR THE SCHOOL MANUAL, YOU CAN READ ABOUT EVERYTHING THATS HANGING IN THE CORPS THROUGH THE MARINE TIMES, OR THE ARMY TIMES, BASICALLY ITS NOT OPSEC IF YOU ALREADY KNOW ABOUT IT IS WHAT IM SAYING.

well talking about sop/ttp's of U.S. forces in regardes to weapon status on and off FOBS/PBS in theatre on a public forum...? more talking about mission_fails post really.

and yes lol I know what OPSEC means why else why I use it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who the hell carries unloaded weapons in a combat zone.</div></div>We do. Because it's easier than training all soldiers to be competent.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DJ480</div><div class="ubbcode-body">short answer no unloaded weapons here! </div></div>One approved solution, apparently, is not to admit that some weapons are unloaded.
wink.gif

OEF VII: loaded was a mag in the well on post, and one chambered on safe outside of the first wire(final control point of the ECP's).
If one was anywhere off the base the rifle and pistol were locked and loaded on safe. When did this change?

Nothing changed I think they are talking about a specific location in a certain city where the media frequents often. That location had different status for weapons compared to the rest of the country.

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that EVERYWHERE in Afghan was like Vietnam, there was no front line, you were in a danger zone in down town Siagon as you were in the bush.

I didn't spend a lot of time in towns, but when I was in town my rifle was loaded, my 1911a1 was loaded, locked and cocked.

The only time anything was said to me about weapons, loaded or other wise was when I talked a Vietnamese out of his motor bike and road up and down Hiway 1. I had a loaded pistol but got my but chewed because that was all I had.

This really sucks big time. I wonder if that policy has anything to do with the number of troopw we loose to so called friendly Afgahn.

Just don't understand this new PC Army. Guess its a good thing I'm too old.

Jeez....
Lived in Memphis Tn for 35 yrs and was never without a loaded something.
And had occasion to use ,
Cannot fathom being overseas deployed in GWOT without being armed properly...Dayuum....

There was a time while we were on patrol, carrying blanks that we had a NEED and a desire to be armed. The islands we were on were close to a not so friendly adversary and so many of us carried a loaded magazine, just not in the weapon.

Were I in Afghanistan I would ahve a loaded weapon ready to fire (Safety on) - I wouldn't trust anyone at that point - afghan walks in the door m y weapon would go that way (albeit DOWN) but ready to fire....

I'd be paranoid for sure, I hate seeing what we are seeing - it's the ultimate Guerilla warfare being used against us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's the ultimate Guerilla warfare being used against us.</div></div>

By our own powers to be.

When I was in HS, My parents were seperated, each summer I'd take a MC ride from Portland to Ark. to visit my mother. Even as a kid I carried a loaded pistol.

In Vietnam I carried a loaded weapon.

In my 20 years in LE I carried a loaded weapon.

Now I carry a loaded revolver in my pocket. Except for Vietnam I don't see the danger our troops face in Afghan, yet some moron desides they don't need loaded weapons WTF.

Seems to me if you can't trust a soldier with a loaded weapon you shouldn't let him/her in the military.

Millions of people running around this country carrying loaded concealed (rightfully so) but send them to Afghan, its empty weapons.

Something is seriously wrong.

Kraig I agree except in Vietnam it did happen, they just put grenades on kids and sent them in - various stories I've read about that!

The other problem is political, if we REALLY REALLY wanted we could round everyone up and start shooting Taliban, convict and hang, convict and hang.

It "appears" via the media that we are just there to put the afghans on theri feet and not to fight a war, and I know different but you won't see it on the news.

In the rear with the gear can get you killed now.