• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US Marine (Sniper) Shot by New Mexico State Police

Re: US Marine (Sniper) Shot by New Mexico State Police

It is sad.

As someone who has had to deal with a family member with a mental illness this past year, one thing I've learned is that every case of mental illness has many victims.

RIP Brother.

Brutal...

This underscores the need to have the strength to reach out to others in the community, and to have the strength to ask for help.

If anyone here on the 'Hide feels the need to ask for help, please do so, as no one here would turn you down. As a member of the 'Hide you should always be willing to help and listen to another's problems.

I just wish this Marine reached out and had been more insistent on getting help.

RIP Brother, Semper Fidelis

As a member of the health care community I can honestly say that we need to take better care of our warriors.

The article indicates that he was not, in fact, shot by state police... just sayin.

Sad story... what a waste.

RIP Brother.

Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The article indicates that he was not, in fact, shot by state police... just sayin.</div></div>

Yea roger that.....But OMI (Office of Medical Investigator) has not determined yet if he was hit both by State police (they did discharge shots at him) along with the possible self inflicted gun shot.

News might be off on story....and SOP has applied...officer involved is on leave pending investigation....

Still sucks......regardless
frown.gif

On many levels the system, meaaning the VA and the courts and law enforcement, is struggling with how to properly cope with an explosion of PTSD among young people trying to re-integrate into civilian society. It is failing miserably.

I don't get it though. It seems to me that guys in say WWII saw at least as much shit as we did and in many cases more, but I haven't heard about them having "PTSD" symptoms (for the most part). Is my generation just having that hard of a time coping or do I not know my history?

Hey .308 LPT,

Why would you title this story <span style="font-style: italic">"U.S. Marine shot by Police"
</span> instead of the more accurate title of....

<span style="font-style: italic">"U.S. Soldier goes crazy, kidnaps wife & kids, shoots at police before committing suicide....?:</span>

I'm just saying.....

It's a sad story & I'm glad the wife & kids are alive & prayers will go out to the family.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">"U.S. Marine shot by Police"

<span style="font-style: italic">"U.S. Soldier goes crazy, kidnaps wife & kids, shoots at police before committing suicide....?:</span></div></div>

Why would I title it that?....This was not some random crazy on drugs idiot...that YOU usually deal with....This was a solider who served his country x3 tours who needed help from a proven illness....and because of time of year, it appears that his country FAILED him...

Your title gave off the impression that the man was simply gunned down by the police. Reading the actual story gives a totally different outcome.....in which the police were unfortunately brought into this situation by his illness.....who wound up killing himself.

Sad indeed....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't get it though. It seems to me that guys in say WWII saw at least as much shit as we did and in many cases more, but I haven't heard about them having "PTSD" symptoms (for the most part). Is my generation just having that hard of a time coping or do I not know my history? </div></div>You don't know the history. It wasn't called PTSD then. Now it's in the DSM IV. Then it was often called 'shell shock' (WWI) or 'combat fatigue' (WWII). It wasn't taken seriously until after Vietnam, but is now thanks to the hard work of Dr. Frank Ochberg and others:

http://www.giftfromwithin.org/html/res2000.html

Only in the United States of America where we put all our money and trust into NFL,NBA, RAP Music, and leave our Policemen, Firemen, Soldiers to work on the poverty level. We need to wake the F_ _K UP and start helping the ones who actually HELP us and not the ones who friggin entertain us. Why should anyone make millions to be an entertainer, and the actual HEROS are the real life ones on the street....... My two cents

Thanks for the info Graham. As usual, your knowledge far outweighs my own
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .308 LPT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">"U.S. Marine shot by Police"

<span style="font-style: italic">"U.S. Soldier goes crazy, kidnaps wife & kids, shoots at police before committing suicide....?:</span></div></div>

Why would I title it that?....This was not some random crazy on drugs idiot...that YOU usually deal with....This was a solider who served his country x3 tours who needed help from a proven illness....and because of time of year, it appears that his country FAILED him...
</div></div>

I don't think anyone here is arguing the fact that the story is tragic or that we as a society should have done more to support him. I think that what you're missing is that the police in this case are not the bad guys and your title makes it seem as if they are. I'm not sure if you're trying to promote feelings of animosity between law enforcement and the military, but your title is worded to accomplish just that. In my opinion cops and soldiers should be supporting one another, not becoming involved in "us versus them".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi5150</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think anyone here is arguing the fact that the story is tragic or that we as a society should have done more to support him. I think that what you're missing is that the police in this case are not the bad guys and your title makes it seem as if they are. I'm not sure if you're trying to promote feelings of animosity between law enforcement and the military, but your title is worded to accomplish just that. In my opinion cops and soldiers should be supporting one another, not becoming involved in "us versus them".</div></div>

Nah.....I know .308LPT.....he's a former LEO & a great guy! I was just busting his chops about it, cuz I thought maybe he didn't pay attention to the story....he is as American as "Apple Pie" and a huge pro Military/LEO advocate.

Nothing but love here for .308LPT!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't get it though. It seems to me that guys in say WWII saw at least as much shit as we did and in many cases more, but I haven't heard about them having "PTSD" symptoms (for the most part). Is my generation just having that hard of a time coping or do I not know my history? </div></div>You don't know the history. It wasn't called PTSD then. Now it's in the DSM IV. Then it was often called 'shell shock' (WWI) or 'combat fatigue' (WWII). It wasn't taken seriously until after Vietnam, but is now thanks to the hard work of Dr. Frank Ochberg and others:

http://www.giftfromwithin.org/html/res2000.html </div></div>

This is all correct. It was also shown that people from as far back as the Civil War suffered from what is now known as PTSD. Nobody knew how to deal with it or what to call it back then.

So is it safe to assume that the percentage of servicemen exhibiting symptoms of PTSD is no higher today than it was 50 or 100 years ago?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is it safe to assume that the percentage of servicemen exhibiting symptoms of PTSD is no higher today than it was 50 or 100 years ago?</div></div>
I would guess the percentage is lower just based on the numbers of service people an active duty compared to the active component deployed. During the World Wars, almost everyone was deployed.

That's an interesting question J-Ham.. I've wondered this many times as a soldier myself. Does anybody know of a book or study on the effects of PTSD on prior generations?

This is very tragic for all envolved. My prayers go out to his family and friends. the USMC lost a fine Marine, i hope no others ar ever lost. Crow hop

This is so sad to hear, many of our guys come home with major injuries the eye can't see. More attention needs to be brought to this subject, the mind can be scarred just like the body.

Rest in peace Marine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is so sad to hear, many of our guys come home with major injuries the eye can't see. More attention needs to be brought to this subject, the mind can be scarred just like the body.

Rest in peace Marine. </div></div>

This is too true. Many times the body can be fixed or repaired or worked around, the mind is a different story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WICKEDFISH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only in the United States of America where we put all our money and trust into NFL,NBA, RAP Music, and leave our Policemen, Firemen, Soldiers to work on the poverty level. We need to wake the F_ _K UP and start helping the ones who actually HELP us and not the ones who friggin entertain us. Why should anyone make millions to be an entertainer, and the actual HEROS are the real life ones on the street....... My two cents </div></div>

They are heroes because they do it for their country and their people. Their reasons are not selfish, and they take pride in what they do despite the low level of pay.Honorable men doing honorable work in the name of their country. If they paid the heroes as much as they do entertainers, lawyers etc... I bet you would have "hero" wannabes trying to join the military just to make "easy" money. The fact that they do what they do without asking for things in return is enough said. I guess these types of jobs require a certain character of men (character that cannot be found everywhere) and these men will do their job because they believe in a cause and not for monetary benefits. This is not to say that they do not deserve everything that we can give them. We do owe some of these guys big time. (I'm not in the military, but that is just my opinion on why brave and gallant men put themselves in harms way without asking for anything in return)

The different branches of the Military can turn just about anyone into a Soldier. I believe the difference in those who come away from combat relatively emotionally un-scathed and those who are permanently scarred by it is found in their upbringing. The first 17 to 18 years of a Person's life is what will determine how one copes with this. the problem is that since no two people are brought up or experience life exactly the same it's impossible to determine who will crack and who won't. The best we can do is hope those that need it ask for help and be sure to respond IMMEDIATELY to that request.

This story is truly a tragedy... RIP Brother. Semper-Fi...

This is truly a shame to lose another in the line of service.

I also think its sad that the military can send them to war but not do much for their mental stress when they return from a traumatic event.

RIP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't get it though. It seems to me that guys in say WWII saw at least as much shit as we did and in many cases more, but I haven't heard about them having "PTSD" symptoms (for the most part). Is my generation just having that hard of a time coping or do I not know my history? </div></div>You don't know the history. It wasn't called PTSD then. Now it's in the DSM IV. Then it was often called 'shell shock' (WWI) or 'combat fatigue' (WWII). It wasn't taken seriously until after Vietnam, but is now thanks to the hard work of Dr. Frank Ochberg and others:

http://www.giftfromwithin.org/html/res2000.html </div></div>

This is all correct. It was also shown that people from as far back as the Civil War suffered from what is now known as PTSD. Nobody knew how to deal with it or what to call it back then. </div></div>

Unfortunately, many doctors in this country still don't.
I feel bad thinking of this guy lost and alone, thinking that he was going insane, not even knowing what a panic attack was, in reality. Maybe some day we will learn what they feel like, and not treat them like lunatics, which, of course, they are not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WICKEDFISH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only in the United States of America where we put all our money and trust into NFL,NBA, RAP Music, and leave our Policemen, Firemen, Soldiers to work on the poverty level. We need to wake the F_ _K UP and start helping the ones who actually HELP us and not the ones who friggin entertain us. Why should anyone make millions to be an entertainer, and the actual HEROS are the real life ones on the street....... My two cents </div></div>
Thats why I will never spend another $100 going to a NBA, NFL etc game I cant see why they are paid so much while cops teachers and soldiers make barely enough to survive.

This is truly sad. Semper FI, and Rest Easy Brother.
Many men who come back are received by beahvioral health people who simply look at them, ask a few questions, then check the easy blocks and send them on their way to the Doc. The Doc then asks the same questions and checks the 'No Treatment Needed' Block and says,"Next!" As a former NCO I have seen this all too often and then had to watch as Soldier after Soldier went to a clinic to only be asked,"Why did they check these blocks?"
So many of our beloved Joes are coming back with Combat Stress, Anxiety Disorder, or full blown PTSD and not receiving the treatment they need.
This starts at the reverse SRC process in theater and continues through teh reverse SRC upon arrival back in country. It is further waived off on the 90 day Post Deployment Health Assessment. What happens next is that Joe has a mental break down and does something everyone regrets.
I believe it is up to the NCO's and TL's to look really hard at their joes and look for the symptoms that need to be further looked at. It is a overall symptom of the Type A Hardcore Warrior to not only hide these symptoms, but also to not really look for them too hard for the stigma it creates.
I probably say too much or appear to some as not making sound judgement on what I see, but as a Disabled Vet, I have seen these joes at the VA and the lucky ones are finally receiving the treatment they need. SO much for being the hardcore bad ass...some just can't handle the truth or reality, but that is what we all signed on for and dealing with it is part of the process.
I hope anyone who needs this kind of help receives it in the new year because I would love to see my country's warriors come home and stay at home in one piece

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Local%2...-with-state-pol

This fatal shooting happened about a mile from where i live.
My thoughts, well, basically +2 WICKEDFISH's comments.

As to PTSD, my mom's dad fought with Carlson's Raiders at Guadalcanal and my clearest memories of him are puffing on a pipe, one-word sentences, and the occasional smile and wink. My mom and aunt confim that he basically never spoke a word and always had his bible with him.
I suspect that PTSD was never recognized or documented in the old days the way it is these days, for whatever reasons, but that our older Marines' suffering was no less worse than today's Marines suffer.
Stories like Diego Gonzales' just shouldn't end this way.
Gung Ho