• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US Military Load developments

2/1_Kiwi

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 6, 2012
New Zealand
Just a general query, do any US military units do their own load development? Either research or production? Im asking in regards to end users rather than development branches themselves.

Re: US Military Load developments

I'll hazard a guess and say Army Marksmanship Unit and possibly the Marine Shooting Team.

i believe more then just the AMU does their own load development.

Just a guess, units allowed discretion in such things put out a request, which goes up thru command, where the lawyers look it over and decide if it meets the requirements of the rules of land warfare and whether those rules or applicable, with that blessing if command approves then they no doubt have a contractor or probably less likely their in service marksmanship unit try to make it happen, possibly with potential end users involved in testing the round and providing feedback. Think 6.8SPC.
The occasional ambitious individual may on their own come up with a proposal and I suppose its possible create a sample on their own time, I doubt it would ever be allowed officially to be fired thru a service weapon though. But there are not backrooms in the team house where they crank out ammo for testing.

When the Military wants a new piece of small arms ammo they publish a request for submissions. When they've evaluated all of them the then award the contract to ATK. Simple enough.

Both the Marine Corps Rifle Team and AMU Rifle Team develop and loads their ammo for matches. The main ammo that the MC loading facility produces is the long range ammo.

By military regulation the service competition shooting units and United States Special Operations Command are authorized to hand load and use commercial ammunition.

In practice SOCOM has pretty much deferred to Crane, the AMU, and commercial manufacturers for their R&D for quite a few years now.