• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US Optic

Has US Optic got it’s mojo back?

• Yes with FDN

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Yes with TS

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • No

Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters

Mellow

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2021
Nevada
When I was younger I always wanted one, then I was told with the change in ownership and the B series really went downhill. I’m finally at the point in my life where I can afford one, so has the quality gone back up with the TS and FDN series or should I look elsewhere?

I’m debating between these two scopes but if the brand has not recovered I will go elsewhere.
US Optic TS-20X 2.5-20x50
US Optic FDN 25X 5-25X52

Feel free to recommend alternatives, I have also looked at these (roughly similar) scopes, but prefer the options on the FDN if it is comparable or better.
Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 FFP (Winner of this list mainly because of the warranty but many positive features)
EOTech Vudu 5-25x50 FFP
Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 F1

I’m also passingly familiar with Trijicon, Leupold and Bushnell but haven’t looked into specific models for those brands. The winner will be going on a Barrett M107 A1 so weight isnt a big deal, but durability, warranty and customer service are.

The FDN series is phenomenal. I have a few and haven’t had a single problem with any of them. Plus USO has my favorite reticle which is the JVCR. USO’s warranty is second to none.

You will not be disappointed in the FDN series.

The TS series scopes aren’t bad for the price, but like someone said: they are made in China.

Reactions: Mellow
If I recall correctly, the TS-series is made in China. The reviews I've read on the FDN-series are generally positive.
Well that settles it between the TS and FDN. I prefer the options on the FDN anyway. Thank you for responding.

If I recall correctly, the TS-series is made in China. The reviews I've read on the FDN-series are general
The FDN series is phenomenal. I have a few and haven’t had a single problem with any of them. Plus USO has my favorite reticle which is the JVCR. USO’s warranty is second to none.

The TS series scopes aren’t bad for the price, but like someone said: they are made in China.
That’s good to hear, I was really on the fence between the USO FDN or Vortex Razor HD Gen II and if the reliability is better, and the warranty is just as good as Vortex that pushes me over the USO side because of the host of options.

Would you mind talking more about why that is your favorite reticle? There are so many options out there and it is the part I know the least about. Since I’m new to optics of this caliber I could go either way Mil or MOA, I’m most familiar with MOA but not had the opportunity to learn either in depth. I think the JVCR is Milliradian which seems slightly more complicated.

I believe the TS-20 is made in Japan.
All other TS are China made.

I’ve looked through the TS and messed around with the turrets. I didn’t like it at all. The FDN is on a different level and a very good scope.

I believe the TS-20 is made in Japan.
All other TS are China made.
Well that was the model I was looking at. Japan is a better manufacturer in general. I’m ok with the Vortex Razor HD Gen II which I think the glass for it is made in Japan. I just didn’t see anything on the USO website that mentions country of origin.

All the FDN series scopes are made in the USA. The JVCR is a mil reticle. I like it because it’s a very simple tree reticle. A lot of the other reticles have too much going on. I prefer simple.

Just my two cents.

The FDN series optics are awesome. Can’t recommend them enough. For your use, the 25x would be an excellent choice.

The TS are decent in their own right, but compete against an entirely different tier of optic.

All the FDN series scopes are made in the USA. The JVCR is a mil reticle. I like it because it’s a very simple tree reticle. A lot of the other reticles have too much going on. I prefer simple.

Just my two cents.
I’ll take a look at it. USO has a good breakdown on their reticles in the support section on their site.

The FDN series optics are awesome. Can’t recommend them enough. For your use, the 25x would be an excellent choice.

The TS are decent in their own right, but compete against an entirely different tier of optic.
I think I will go for the FDN then, hopefully I’ll get to compare the two someday.

Lots of info in this thread, especially in the last few pages.

My FDN17x has been a great scope so far. I really like the new erek3 turret, even moreso than the old 1st gen erek.

The zero stop is an interesting design. It seems very robust.

Lots of info in this thread, especially in the last few pages.

My FDN17x has been a great scope so far. I really like the new erek3 turret, even moreso than the old 1st gen erek.

The zero stop is an interesting design. It seems very robust.
Thanks, I’ll check it out now.

Reactions: Travis224
I own a multiple different scopes from the same price range, S&B, Premier, Steiner, USO, and recently a TT. Of the 9 scopes I own, only one I bought new, a Premier Heritage. I absolutely refuse to pay new price.
While the TT is my favorite scope overall, I would have to say the difference in that vs the other brands is small and truly a preference thing more than function, durability and optical quality. Don’t get me wrong, the TT 5-25x is amazing, but you pay for it. When it was installed on my #1 AXSA match rifle it didn’t help me shoot any better or score more hits. That should tell you enough right there.
The B25 it replaced went through two match seasons, numerous trips across multiple western states doing a multitude of types of shooting, all with no hiccups or issues, and was overall a great scope I will be reusing on another rifle. So much so I just bought another used one from the PX.
While there are a lot of people who negatively talk about USO, their comments seem to reflect the same repeated statements, verbatim, posted on forums not actual experience. More of a “I read on the internet....so I will repeat that statement as fact” vs my personal experience was this. Most of the negative comments made are directed more at the brand than the actual scopes they produce.
While I don’t own a FDN series, the B25 it’s based on has always been a favorite of mine and offers the reticle I prefer, Gen2XR, I have 5 scopes that share that reticle including two by USO. Some say it’s dated and there are better choices out there. That might be true but I use what works for me. The Gen2XR works for me across multiple shooting disciplines.

What you need to ask yourself when considering a scope in the price range of FDN series, are a few basic questions;

What type of shooting will I be using this for?
What is my budget?
What type of reticle does my eye naturally like?
What am I expecting from this scope?

A lot of my decisions on which optics to buy have been based on two factors.
1. Reticle choice
2. Shooting type

Personally I would buy a USO B or FDN series scope and not hesitate to recommend them to fellow shooters.
The TS line I have no experience with so I’ll reserve judgement.

Well that was the model I was looking at. Japan is a better manufacturer in general. I’m ok with the Vortex Razor HD Gen II which I think the glass for it is made in Japan. I just didn’t see anything on the USO website that mentions country of origin.
The entire scopes (not just the lenses) in the Razor HD line are made in Japan.

I own a multiple different scopes from the same price range, S&B, Premier, Steiner, USO, and recently a TT. Of the 9 scopes I own, only one I bought new, a Premier Heritage. I absolutely refuse to pay new price.
While the TT is my favorite scope overall, I would have to say the difference in that vs the other brands is small and truly a preference thing more than function, durability and optical quality. Don’t get me wrong, the TT 5-25x is amazing, but you pay for it. When it was installed on my #1 AXSA match rifle it didn’t help me shoot any better or score more hits. That should tell you enough right there.
The B25 it replaced went through two match seasons, numerous trips across multiple western states doing a multitude of types of shooting, all with no hiccups or issues, and was overall a great scope I will be reusing on another rifle. So much so I just bought another used one from the PX.
While there are a lot of people who negatively talk about USO, their comments seem to reflect the same repeated statements, verbatim, posted on forums not actual experience. More of a “I read on the internet....so I will repeat that statement as fact” vs my personal experience was this. Most of the negative comments made are directed more at the brand than the actual scopes they produce.
While I don’t own a FDN series, the B25 it’s based on has always been a favorite of mine and offers the reticle I prefer, Gen2XR, I have 5 scopes that share that reticle including two by USO. Some say it’s dated and there are better choices out there. That might be true but I use what works for me. The Gen2XR works for me across multiple shooting disciplines.

What you need to ask yourself when considering a scope in the price range of FDN series, are a few basic questions;

What type of shooting will I be using this for?
What is my budget?
What type of reticle does my eye naturally like?
What am I expecting from this scope?

A lot of my decisions on which optics to buy have been based on two factors.
1. Reticle choice
2. Shooting type

Personally I would buy a USO B or FDN series scope and not hesitate to recommend them to fellow shooters.
The TS line I have no experience with so I’ll reserve judgement.
Shooting type is pleasure, I bought this rifle because I always wanted one and the challenge of going past 500 yards sounds fun. I don’t compete, and likely wouldn’t with a rifle where the ammo is so expensive. Nor would I hunt with this caliber. My budget is capped at $5000 for the optic but I bought 34mm rings that can accommodate a 56mm objective originally thinking of the Razor HD Gen 2, but then I looked more at the FDN. Obviously the less I pay the better as long as it is for the same capability and durability. I’m too new to this to tell you what type of reticle I like. A lot of them seem nice, but they are mostly Mil which I’m less familiar with. The MOA are a bit more sparse, I’m expecting solid performance, accuracy and a good warranty. The first two expectations seem like I would get with any of the higher end scopes. Warranty is more Vortex and USO. I can’t afford to go replacing this if there is an issue. What brand is TT?
I like this reticle below.
6F225FD8-8FA5-4C08-BF26-66A3F758A98A.jpeg

This one is acceptable. A little sparse but the only one in MOA that I see from USO
F7C15A92-9E17-4002-8AE6-155E5199B6FB.jpeg

I have a few US Optics scopes. They are top notch as far as durability and reliability. If I had the need for another, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy USO again
I appreciate your input. Do you have any of the cheaper TS ones?

Love the older SN3's with objective parallax. Really liked the TPAL series but had a lot of trouble with 1 late production ER-25. The B-series I hated the tool-less EREK turret. The Foundations I have yet to try. I've shot enough Chinese scopes in the face for having potato chips for lenses that I just won't have a chicom optic anymore. My current scopes are SN3's that I bought used off the Hide, they're just bomb proof.

I just got to look through the USO Foundation for the first time yesterday.

I worked a deal with Jake Vibbert to come over and teach a PRS class for the day. He's a really good teacher.

I played around with his rifle a bit and looked through his FDN 25 with his reticle. I really like the optic. Glass is very good, and I love the turrets. USO has their MOJO back.

I appreciate your input. Do you have any of the cheaper TS ones?
I have a TS12X on an 18” ar10 in .308. Hasn’t been on there long as the scope and rifle are new (purchased day after the election). Don’t have a lot of rounds thru it yet but so far it seems just fine.

Love the older SN3's with objective parallax. Really liked the TPAL series but had a lot of trouble with 1 late production ER-25. The B-series I hated the tool-less EREK turret. The Foundations I have yet to try. I've shot enough Chinese scopes in the face for having potato chips for lenses that I just won't have a chicom optic anymore. My current scopes are SN3's that I bought used off the Hide, they're just bomb proof.
Those SN3s are tough as a tank!

Thank you for correcting me. I was under the impression that they were assembled in the US after being manufactured in Japan.
The only Vortex optics made in the US are the AMG line. And those are manufactured here. The glass stock has been sourced from various places but it is ground and polished in house by Vortex.

Nice, I never handled any of those.

I just got to look through the USO Foundation for the first time yesterday.

I worked a deal with Jake Vibbert to come over and teach a PRS class for the day. He's a really good teacher.

I played around with his rifle a bit and looked through his FDN 25 with his reticle. I really like the optic. Glass is very good, and I love the turrets. USO has their MOJO back.
Sounds awesome, hopefully I can catch a class sometime.

I have a TS12X on an 18” ar10 in .308. Hasn’t been on there long as the scope and rifle are new (purchased day after the election). Don’t have a lot of rounds thru it yet but so far it seems just fine.
Killer, I had written them off after everyone was saying the FDN was on another level. With the price difference I’m not surprised, but it’s good to hear your initial evaluation is so good.

Out of the ones listed, NightForce or vortex razor. Both companies offer a great product/warranty and take care of their customers.

Killer, I had written them off after everyone was saying the FDN was on another level. With the price difference I’m not surprised, but it’s good to hear your initial evaluation is so good.
They are budget optics so you can’t expect too much. I think I paid 440 bucks for mine delivered.

They are budget optics so you can’t expect too much. I think I paid 440 bucks for mine delivered.
For the $1200 I paid for the TS-20X while I’m waiting the 2-3 months on the FDN I imagine it will stand up. It’s by first scope so I don’t know any better anyway.

Out of the ones listed, NightForce or vortex razor. Both companies offer a great product/warranty and take care of their customers.
I’m definitely going to get a Vortex Razor, in the end I decided I liked the Razor AMG better than the HD Gen II but I already had 34mm scope rings so I went for the FDN. Since it was $800 cheaper I got the TS-20x while I’m waiting on it. I’ll use it on my Remington when the FDN shows up. So now I just need to to figure out what to mount the Vortex on.

I have some older USO stuff, TPAL and EREK models. I considered selling the 3.2-17x but when I got the NF 4-16 I was surprised to find out it's really just as good albeit larger, heavier, etc. But to me, it's worth more than the $1200 I could get for it, obviously making that a killer deal. It'd cost me twice that to replace it with something of similar quality.

The 5-25x on the BMG is just a fucking tank. I think it was $3600 new but I think I paid maybe $1500 on here?

Probably gonna sell the SR8 1-8x though.

Looks like FDN is nothing more than repop of the older stuff I have, which actually cost more new. I'd shop for one of those if I were you, seriously. I'm here telling you that short of size and weight, that is on par with NF shit 100%.

TONS of killer deals on used USO stuff here all the time. No need to buy new. Half these guys selling are fucking glass addicts and will sell a brand new scope they got last year and never mounted just to get the same goddamn one with a slightly different reticle. Take advantage of that.

USO back then was great even tho they had their issues but you can’t compare them to where they where.

Their relaunch is MONEY and the FDN series is stellar. Turret design is the best in the Industry IMO , Field of view too.
Don’t forget NO one is offering that many options and customization level. USO are THE only custom scope makers.

Now for the TS series, when you factually think about it and look through one you understand that they strike above the price point and are solid optics. Do they have some issue like the zero stop design? Yes but in that price range you’ll always have to do compromise.

The TS serie might be made oversee but everything is assembled in USA and inspected . Not many "other" known brand that assemble their oversee made scopes and truelly inspected them. Many end up being sold to consumers when they shouldn’t be..
The TS-20x seems really nice on first inspection. I’m learning my way around the diopter and parallax with it. I focused the reticle on the wall of my office then I set the parallax up in my warehouse which is about 100 yards long and was practicing focusing on some of my product against the far wall at the 20x magnification. I’m not familiar enough with optics to see any flaws. I think I preferred the eye box on the Vortex Razor HD II I looked through the other day, but the rest is about the same.

Sure enough there is a full inspection list in the box with it.
4723379C-F886-4611-A69B-282E0CD48291.jpeg

Reactions: Raufoss
I have some older USO stuff, TPAL and EREK models. I considered selling the 3.2-17x but when I got the NF 4-16 I was surprised to find out it's really just as good albeit larger, heavier, etc. But to me, it's worth more than the $1200 I could get for it, obviously making that a killer deal. It'd cost me twice that to replace it with something of similar quality.

The 5-25x on the BMG is just a fucking tank. I think it was $3600 new but I think I paid maybe $1500 on here?

Probably gonna sell the SR8 1-8x though.

Looks like FDN is nothing more than repop of the older stuff I have, which actually cost more new. I'd shop for one of those if I were you, seriously. I'm here telling you that short of size and weight, that is on par with NF shit 100%.

TONS of killer deals on used USO stuff here all the time. No need to buy new. Half these guys selling are fucking glass addicts and will sell a brand new scope they got last year and never mounted just to get the same goddamn one with a slightly different reticle. Take advantage of that.
Haha, that’s awesome. I’ll check out the PX. I wasn’t sure if the warranty was transferable.

I’m definitely going to get a Vortex Razor, in the end I decided I liked the Razor AMG better than the HD Gen II but I already had 34mm scope rings so I went for the FDN. Since it was $800 cheaper I got the TS-20x while I’m waiting on it. I’ll use it on my Remington when the FDN shows up. So now I just need to to figure out what to mount the Vortex on.
How about a gas gun........ 😁

I really had hoped so, I got one while I’m waiting on my FDN and it’s China also unfortunately.

Yeah fuck that.

Sticking with my PMII, it has worked so far, and newer/cooler scopes are too far out of my price range.