• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes US Optics B-17

scottpropheter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2017
Anyone have their hands on one? I'm looking at picking one up with a Tremor 3. There don't seem to be any reviews online yet, just the press releases from US Optics and some teasers from SHOT. It would be going on an OBR, and I'm thinking in a Geissele mount. Can anybody give me the good and the bad on this scope yet?

I'll have mine wednesday, although with a GAP reticle. I'll give you my first impressions when i get it in hand.

Reactions: cj10
I am interested in this as well, with MGR reticle though.. Looks well thought out, thinking it would be a good 223 choice...

The MGR was my first choice, but I got an outstanding deal on a GAP, couldn't pass it up.

scottpropheter I'm commenting for the benefit of others who may have a genuine interest in this topic. I'm not even sure why you're interested in technology less than 10 years old.

Things I Like

- the tool less zero / very quick and easy zero adjustment.

- turrets have good tactile clicks

- nice balance of amount of effort needed to rotate parallax and magnification ring

- size and weight (obviously subjective here)

- MPR reticle is easily usable from 3x to 17x

- image seems very sharp and clear

- like the way the turrets lock

Issues Experienced

- I had bought one of the first B17's that came out that had the MGR reticle and had I issues with illumination being what I found usable at anything higher than the 3rd or 4th setting. The illumination would start fringing and bleeding over. USO customer service said that they acknowledged the issue and were changing the route or where that they were getting the reticles from. They were working the issue to fix it but I needed a scope and just wanted to get it taken care of so they offered to exchanged it for the MPR reticle since it was so close. They were actually going to let me continue using the one and would just let me know when they got the new ones in to exchange it then but I kind of just wanted to get things resolved. I'm not sure if it's been resolved but it was awhile ago and they had temporarily haulted the production on them from what I understand until they could make sure it wasn't an issue so it may be resolved by now. So I guess the pro here in the con is their customer service was really responsive and good to deal with.

- I have had the top come loose once while dialing up. It's only happened once so far so I'm focusing on making sure I have it tight to rule out operator deficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I have a question about these scopes. It looks like the elevation turret is a tool-less design while the windage turret requires a hex key to reset it. Is that the case? Is this scope kind of half tool-less?

What's the benefit of a half-tool-less adjustment? The tangent theta is tool-less. And most other scopes require a tool to reset the turrets. But I have to ask, why would USoptics make only one turret tool-less adjustable?

What's the benefit of a half-tool-less adjustment? The tangent theta is tool-less. And most other scopes require a tool to reset the turrets. But I have to ask, why would USoptics make only one turret tool-less adjustable?

I have the same question...only justification i can think of is to cut costs and/or space constraints. I guess if you had a holdover reticle and never dialed wind you could rezero the elevation turret, and simply dial the windage turret to the new zero, and lock it if you were switching rifles/barrels you could be truly tool-less. Still, i have to agree...doesn't make a whole lotta sense. But i can live with it. Personally I would have preferred the same tooled adjustment on the elevation. Maybe its a trial run for the next iteration...

I have the same question...only justification i can think of is to cut costs and/or space constraints. I guess if you had a holdover reticle and never dialed wind you could rezero the elevation turret, and simply dial the windage turret to the new zero, and lock it if you were switching rifles/barrels you could be truly tool-less. Still, i have to agree...doesn't make a whole lotta sense. But i can live with it. Personally I would have preferred the same tooled adjustment on the elevation. Maybe its a trial run for the next iteration...

Never actually gave it much thought but any of the above seem plausible.

I'm not sure I could directly compare it to a TT being they are a scope that's in a whole different price point of scope.

When compared to the scopes in the same price point it's a feature that others don't have albeit it's only elevation so if you are an all or nothing type than I guess it wouldn't be your cup of tea.

Never actually gave it much thought but any of the above seem plausible.

I'm not sure I could directly compare it to a TT being they are a scope that's in a whole different price point of scope.

When compared to the scopes in the same price point it's a feature that others don't have albeit it's only elevation so if you are an all or nothing type than I guess it wouldn't be your cup of tea.

I'm not sure it comes down to being an all or nothing type of person. To me it seems like without the windage being tool-less as well the feature becomes moot. I'm looking seriously at buying the b-17, but I don't consider the tool-less adjust of the elevation turret to be an asset since I would still need a tool for the windage turret. Comparing the B series to the Tangent Theta with regard to the concept of tool-less adjustable turrets seems perfectly fair to me. It's the same concept; it's not like tool-less adjustable turrets are out of reach for USoptics or anything. I think USO made a mistake; both turrets should be tool-less if they want to tout this as a feature of their scope. Otherwise it's a tools-needed kind of ordeal to reset the scope to zero.

I'm not sure it comes down to being an all or nothing type of person. To me it seems like without the windage being tool-less as well the feature becomes moot. I'm looking seriously at buying the b-17, but I don't consider the tool-less adjust of the elevation turret to be an asset since I would still need a tool for the windage turret. Comparing the B series to the Tangent Theta with regard to the concept of tool-less adjustable turrets seems perfectly fair to me. It's the same concept; it's not like tool-less adjustable turrets are out of reach for USoptics or anything. I think USO made a mistake; both turrets should be tool-less if they want to tout this as a feature of their scope. Otherwise it's a tools-needed kind of ordeal to reset the scope to zero.

I think you have a fair point.

That's where they'd have to explain their rational I guess. If we're going to internet pontificate though then maybe it was something as simple as the way the erek knob was designed it lent itself as an easy enough thing to incorporate and they just did it and they thought some is better than none. Not sure.

Marketing and feature touting aside though, I would think if one's to spend $2k+ on a scope I'd think there would be the research into it to expose the windage still needing a wrench to get dead nuts wind zero and they'd then have to decide whether or not it mattered.

From my use of it so far I personally haven't felt it to be moot as it's one less part I have to monkey with a wrench on to adjust. If impact is up or down it's an easy tool less thing to adjust. Where this may change for me is in relation to my first post in terms of if I continue to experience the top locking portion loosening up on me then I'd probably not be finding it all that useful and even counter to useful. So far it's only happened once so hurry is still out for me.

I think USO made a mistake; both turrets should be tool-less if they want to tout this as a feature of their scope. Otherwise it's a tools-needed kind of ordeal to reset the scope to zero.

yup.

On another note, just got mine in.

Turret clicks feel nothing short of amazing. I prefer them to S&B, surprisingly, but I think the larger diameter elevation turret has a lot to do with that. I can't be 100% sure because I don't have one sitting here to compare it to, but glass quality seems comparable to S&B as well. Certainly not lacking. I'd describe the optical characteristics as 'realistic' rather than 'vibrant.' Nothing artificial, no CA to speak of, just really good glass.

Elevation turret lock works, not too much to say about that. It's a lock. Would prefer to not have anything lock, but I know lots of people want/think they need them. Elevation 'tool-less' zeroing is...well...I'd prefer old fashioned set screws, but again, personal preference. Windage turret clicks feel the same as elevation, but the lock is a vortex/bushnell style where the turret itself lifts from the scope body, whereas the elevation turret uses a locking ring at the base of the turret.

Magnification ring is outstanding...knurling is awesome. Rotating it is buttery smooth, easier than others, but I think the knurling + much longer grip area contributes to this. Diopter adjustment is simple enough...again, not too much to say here, it's a diopter adjustment. It's not going to spin by itself...but it's not hard to spin it when you want to.

The B-17 does fit in a Spuhr mount. About +/- 1/8" clearance fore and aft. (I suspect all the B-series would fit since I'm pretty sure they share the same center housing...not positive on this though).

All in all, I'm impressed with the build quality and performance. Now that I have it in hand, I don't really care for the GAP reticle, so I'm going to find her a new home. If not for the reticle, I wouldn't even contemplate getting rid of it.

Oh yeah and it's a USO, so it looks badass. FML why can't it have an MSR...

l1qu1dthunkz Looking forward to playing with it tonight...I have to see it for myself, since I don't trust your judgement. Is the GAP reticle really that bad?

No, it's not THAT bad. If it had a 0.1 mil graduated ranging scale or even a 0.2 i would keep it. Just hard to accurately range with strictly 0.5 mil graduations. I'm sure someone will chime in that they can mil out a wing on a flea at a mile with a heavy duplex...If i used it strictly for hunting or I only ever used a LRF/knew range to target I'd keep it.

I would like to buy a US Optics ST10. I haven't been able to find one since they have been discontinued. I would appreciate it if anyone knows of one that is available.

Man, I've done watched several videos on this optic and i really like the looks of it... I'm thinking about selling my new gen2 Razor to fund one of these for my 223... Yeah, I wish it had tool less windage as well but I could learn to like it just the way it is. That MGR reticle looks really nice...

After handling one last night, I can honestly say that this is the only optic I want at the moment. Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Itsadryheat
After handling one last night, I can honestly say that this is the only optic I want at the moment. Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How good did the glass look? Which reticle did it have? So spill the beans on it already...

It belongs to l1qu1dthunkz I got a chance to handle it at his place the other night. Glass quality was superb! I'm in love with the dials...the clicks feel amazing, and I love having the fatter, shorter elevation dial. It had a GAP reticle in it, which isn't bad honestly, but I still think I'm going to get a Tremor 3. The magnification adjustment was smooth as silk, but just enough tension. I'm in love with that scope.

It belongs to l1qu1dthunkz I got a chance to handle it at his place the other night. Glass quality was superb! I'm in love with the dials...the clicks feel amazing, and I love having the fatter, shorter elevation dial. It had a GAP reticle in it, which isn't bad honestly, but I still think I'm going to get a Tremor 3. The magnification adjustment was smooth as silk, but just enough tension. I'm in love with that scope.

Can you compare the glass to anything? NF, S&B, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd put it off of initial impressions as just as clear as offerings from Nightforce and S&B. My time with it was limited, but I was thoroughly impressed.

I might give one a try as my next optic, I've never owned a US Optics.. But there is a good selection of optics out now to choose from and that's a good thing.

Well, just picked one up with an H59 thanks to this wonderful forum.

I seen you snagged one out of the PX, I would really like to hear your thoughts on it when you receive it and look it over.. PM me and let me know, thanks..

Anyone have their hands on one? I'm looking at picking one up with a Tremor 3. There don't seem to be any reviews online yet, just the press releases from US Optics and some teasers from SHOT. It would be going on an OBR, and I'm thinking in a Geissele mount. Can anybody give me the good and the bad on this scope yet?
Sniper Central wrote a review up on it