• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US Optics Field Observation Scope

Q-Unit

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2013
OR
Why is it so hard to find a review of the USO Field Observation Scope? I am surprised this is not more popular. A mil-dot spotting scope that is about $700 than a leupold. I was searching the 'net for reviews, but did not have any luck.

I didn't like mine at all. No where near as clear As my uso scope. Sold it asap.

Thanks for the feedback. I will steer clear.

Does anybody make a fixed power spotter with a mil-dot reticle?

Bush ell has a new spotter mil spends haven't seen to much on it but close to$2000 so Leopold good choice

The last Bushnell FFP spotter got discontinued do to manufacturing issues didn't it? For $2k I would probably have to stick with the proven Leupold, but I was hoping I would not have to spend that much.

Bushnell has the new LMSS 8-40x60 and you can get one with a Horus H32 in it for sub 2k. Look up the reviews, they are hit and miss. I had both a Leopold MK4 and LMSS and chose to stick with the Leopold because my Bushnell was defective. Maybe for 2014 Bushnell will make them better.....

Find yourself a used Leupold Gold Ring HD and send it back to Leupold for a TMR Reticle. Mine is a great scope for the 900.oo I have in it.

leupold mark 4 spotters suck. I sold mine after spotting shots at 1000yds with 3.5-15NF better. I have used a us optics and it seemed far better than my mark 4. kowa and swaro are the best spotters that I have looked through just wish they did reticles on one of them. either way I would have the us optics observation scope over the mark 4 spotter had hands down.

I have the US Optics spotter. It is difficult to use off a tripod as mentioned above. The small eye relief and adjustable objective (as opposed to a side focus) seem awkward when used traditionally, but I'm trying something different with it. I mounted it on an old stock I cut down and drilled a hole in. I use a benchrest bipod off the bench or prone, and a seated bipod if the other is too short or to sit. I also mounted a monopod on the rear of the stock and built up a proper cheek weld for it with pipe insulation. This is new to me and I haven't used it in the field but it seems to me this method of use draws from the steady hold skills I already practice and is actually nothing new.

I think the Mil reticle and the FFP are essential.

Also, the glass is just a bit better than my Lupy Mark 4 scope but real close to my NF scope. The test was if I could read sheets of large print set at 150, 175, and 200yds in direct sunlight, no direct sunlight, and low light.

My intended use is not to see holes in paper but to watch for trace and/or impact so to then form an objective correction for the shooter. I don't think the higher magnifications are necessary for the stated purpose. If anyone has any comments or insights please voice them.

JoeZ

Last edited:
CameraLandNY has Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 demos (straight and angled) for $1350. Great spotting scope. Then call Liberty Optics and buy a $200 30x WA eyepiece with mil or MOA reticle for $200.

Does anybody make a fixed power spotter with a mil-dot reticle?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Meopta: a fixed 30x, with a Mil reticle with half-mil hashes.
Not quite as good as a Gen2 / TMR reticle, but very useful..!

Glass quality is comparable to Zeiss. (we've tried them side-by-side.)

CHeers.
Marc