• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes US Optics Question

davwil

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2007
Hill country in Texas
I just zeroed a new US Optics 5x25 scope with Erek elevation knob. I have a 20 MOA base. I have a few questions that I could use some help with.

1) The manual and the website says the scopes come set for maximum elevation with 20 MOA bases. After zeroing I have at about 2 full turns of downward (clockwise) elevation adjustment. I' zeroed at 100 yards and would like to get maximum elevation from the scope. If I "hold the elevation knob and turn the inner allen screw down as outlined in the instructions until it stops" as explained in the directions, will that that take care of the situation without losing my zero OR will I have to sight in the gun again?

2) After the gun is zeroed the instructions are to loosen the two allen screws on top of the EREK knob and then set the knob to zero and then replace the cap with the non-calibrated blank cap, screws and o-rings that come from the factory. I don't want to lose zero making this adjustment. Do I totally remove the first screws or just loosen them or does it matter? Do I lift the knob to dis-engage it like other hunting scopes or just turn it?

3) On the windage knob.... I have the rifle sighted perfectly. To set the windage knob to zero do I just loosen the allen screw in the center of the knob and now turn it to zero? Do I loosen the allen screw and pull the knob out to dis-engage it like other hunting scopes or just turn it? Is it necessary to totally remove the allen screw in the center of the knob? How do I know how loose it should be before I turn it?

I know these are probably elementary questions for many but, I can't answer them to my satisfaction from the US Optics instructions or their videos. I "dis-engaged" the adjustments on my S&B Scope and had pure hell trying to get everything back in adjustment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. When I have a gun/scope either putting every bullet in the same hole or at least always touching (DTA Covert and US Optics) I hate to start all over again.
Thank you.

1: Yes. That will move the entire erector so you'll get max elevation out of the scope without changing your zero.

2: Totally remove the screws and replace the cap. You won't change your zero. This is really optional, and is only so you don't get dirt in the recesses. Lots of folks don't even do it. No need to lift the knob. The cap will come right off. Just be careful you don't lose the screws (they're small).

3. Yep, just loosen the screw, move the knob to zero, and re-tighten. No need to pull out the knob, and don't remove the whole screw; just get it loose.

I just zeroed a new US Optics 5x25 scope with Erek elevation knob. I have a 20 MOA base. I have a few questions that I could use some help with.

1) The manual and the website says the scopes come set for maximum elevation with 20 MOA bases. After zeroing I have at about 2 full turns of downward (clockwise) elevation adjustment. I' zeroed at 100 yards and would like to get maximum elevation from the scope. If I "hold the elevation knob and turn the inner allen screw down as outlined in the instructions until it stops" as explained in the directions, will that that take care of the situation without losing my zero OR will I have to sight in the gun again?

2) After the gun is zeroed the instructions are to loosen the two allen screws on top of the EREK knob and then set the knob to zero and then replace the cap with the non-calibrated blank cap, screws and o-rings that come from the factory. I don't want to lose zero making this adjustment. Do I totally remove the first screws or just loosen them or does it matter? Do I lift the knob to dis-engage it like other hunting scopes or just turn it?

3) On the windage knob.... I have the rifle sighted perfectly. To set the windage knob to zero do I just loosen the allen screw in the center of the knob and now turn it to zero? Do I loosen the allen screw and pull the knob out to dis-engage it like other hunting scopes or just turn it? Is it necessary to totally remove the allen screw in the center of the knob? How do I know how loose it should be before I turn it?

I know these are probably elementary questions for many but, I can't answer them to my satisfaction from the US Optics instructions or their videos. I "dis-engaged" the adjustments on my S&B Scope and had pure hell trying to get everything back in adjustment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. When I have a gun/scope either putting every bullet in the same hole or at least always touching (DTA Covert and US Optics) I hate to start all over again.
Thank you.

I just tried the above and apparently (or something certainly did) moving the entire erector does change the zero dramatically. I moved it per instructions and I was so far off target (30 inches) it took me awhile to find POI. I do think however after the adjustment I will have considerably more elevation adjustment.

I haven't messed with setting the elevation knob or the windage knob to zero yet....too many variables and I'm a little "gun shy" to say the least.

Wow...I'm really sorry. I just re-read your question and my response, and I guess I was a bit hasty. With an EREK knob, you set the zero stop by holding the knob and rotating the allen key ccw until it stops. Then, you bottom the knob. From here, you hold the knob, and use the allen key to zero it. Once this is done, unscrew the cap screws and freely rotate the knob until it reads zero. Again, totally sorry for any issues my hasty response caused you.

Don't worry Davwil, once you get the hang of it you will grow to love the EREK knob!