• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USAF basic training?

Texar2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2008
Texas
My cousin is 18 years old and has joined the air force. He will be going into the security force and has little to no experience with weapons. He will be staying with me in July for some marksmanship training and I should have him squared away before he leaves for Lackland in August. My question is; what should he expect as far as qualifications with the m-16 and m-9? I have heard that Lackland is a short range but do not know for sure. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: USAF basic training?

Well it's been a long time sense I was there!
Air force is a lot easier than other branchs.
Probaly just weapons fam to get him more comforable with the guns, and some basic fundmentals. Classes are setup for a high pass rate

Active Duty USAF SF Vet here...

Basic is a cake walk. Shit, they just roll their clothing items now!

As far as weapons, He won't be touching an M9 while in basic. He will fire the AFQC course with an M16A2. Distance is 25 meters at reduced size targets. There is a total of 10 targets on the board, simulating ranges from 75 meters to 300 meters. He'll be given 9-12 Zeroing rounds, and 30 rounds for qual. 3 rounds go to each little target on the paper. For the love of god, make sure he shoots his own paper.
laugh.gif

Tech School is weapons intensive, he'll get trigger time on the M9, M4, M203, M249, M240, and possibly M67 Frag. Firing for M9/4 will be done at Medina Annex, and firing for M249/M240 will be done at Bullis. I think you get 800 meters at Bullis. When he deploys depending on his QFEB he may get a chance at the M24, M2, Mk19, or AT4.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: M9 is a max range of 25 meters on an E type target. Qual is a total of 45 rounds, 35 of which need to hit a specific zone on the target.... I think. Its been awhile since I fired AFQC, once your out of the pipeline the Majcom you fall under has specific quals. The Air Force just revamped the weapons firing portion of training for folks at duty locations. Its starting to focus on speed on engagement, clearing malfunctions during firing stages, and transitions from rifle to pistol and pistol to rifle.

Basic ain't what it used to be. e.g. Pushup requirements are higher than the Army now I do believe.

I was in AF in 66-70 at Lackland we did M16's at 100 yds prone,sitting,and standing 20 rounds per position. Spent one day familarization/dry firing/cleaning=foild stripping. These were units that didn't have forward assists.

They'll show him the ropes in Tech school. Tell him to forget what he knows and listen to the CATM instructors... And once again SHOOT HIS TARGET
It sucks to fail a good shot because their target has 10 hits and the target next to them has 90 out of 50

AFI 36-2226, wouldn't be the worst place to start, though as was said earlier, he might be better off going in completely free of pre conceived ideas/bad habits, not trying to insult your instructional capabilities OP.

Don't show him anything, he will do good if he just listens and maintains a open mind. Tell him though that once he has completed his initial training, tech school and all to seek out some more realistic and dynamic shooting schools. Unfortunately it will be on his dime, its the USAF god forbid someone ever rolls a ankle in some realistic shooting and moving training.