• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Use enough gun! 50 bmg whitetail deer!!

Re: No rifle is big enough to drop a deer every time!!

it's shot placement - go for the neck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's shot placement - go for the neck. </div></div>

Respectfully disagree. Too small of a vital zone. I have shot at least 25 deer and only ever lost one - when I took a headshot. All others had a bullet pass through the lungs, or the heart and lungs. Sure, they can sprint up to 100 yards, but with the pulmonary system disabled, they're smoked.

I took a headshot at a doe grazing in a beenfield at a range of 80 yards. I was prone with bag and bipod. Rifle and marksman capable of beter than 1/4" shot placement. I waited for it to look at me, and i shot at it dead on between the eyes. It fell like a ton of bricks. There was another deer almost in the shooting lane, so I decided to wait for it so I could hit it too. Meanwhile, deer 1 stood up all shaky, fell, stood up again and bounded off never to be seen again. I can only guess the bullet glanced off that long, ramped muzzle deer have, knocked the deer out, but didnt "brain" the deer like I was attempting to do.

well i think just the fact that they were using a 50 bmg on deer almost any shot should do ok.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I took a headshot at a doe grazing in a beenfield at a range of 80 yards. I was prone with bag and bipod. Rifle and marksman capable of beter than 1/4" shot placement. I waited for it to look at me, and i shot at it dead on between the eyes. It fell like a ton of bricks. There was another deer almost in the shooting lane, so I decided to wait for it so I could hit it too. Meanwhile, deer 1 stood up all shaky, fell, stood up again and bounded off never to be seen again. I can only guess the bullet glanced off that long, ramped muzzle deer have, knocked the deer out, but didnt "brain" the deer like I was attempting to do. </div></div>

LOL

seriously?

What were you shooting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Respectfully disagree. Too small of a vital zone. I have shot at least 25 deer and only ever lost one - when I took a headshot. All others had a bullet pass through the lungs, or the heart and lungs. Sure, they can sprint up to 100 yards, but with the pulmonary system disabled, they're smoked.

I took a headshot at a doe grazing in a beenfield at a range of 80 yards. I was prone with bag and bipod. Rifle and marksman capable of beter than 1/4" shot placement. I waited for it to look at me, and i shot at it dead on between the eyes. It fell like a ton of bricks. There was another deer almost in the shooting lane, so I decided to wait for it so I could hit it too. Meanwhile, deer 1 stood up all shaky, fell, stood up again and bounded off never to be seen again. I can only guess the bullet glanced off that long, ramped muzzle deer have, knocked the deer out, but didnt "brain" the deer like I was attempting to do.</div></div>

What caliber rifle and weight bullet were you using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's shot placement - go for the neck. </div></div>

I took a headshot at a doe grazing in a beenfield at a range of 80 yards. I was prone with bag and bipod. Rifle and marksman capable of beter than 1/4" shot placement. I waited for it to look at me, and i shot at it dead on between the eyes. It fell like a ton of bricks. There was another deer almost in the shooting lane, so I decided to wait for it so I could hit it too. Meanwhile, deer 1 stood up all shaky, fell, stood up again and bounded off never to be seen again. I can only guess the bullet glanced off that long, ramped muzzle deer have, knocked the deer out, but didnt "brain" the deer like I was attempting to do. </div></div>

Sounds like you just shot between her ears and dicked her equilibrium all up. I have done this with Rabbits and would guess it would work for a deer. Quarter inch groupings dont mean shit if you dont hit the right target. You do this with a Rabbit you can walk right up and pick them up alive. This all falls back to shot placement...

Any more questions on why the .22 rimfire is illegal?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goatphius</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I took a headshot at a doe grazing in a beenfield at a range of 80 yards. I was prone with bag and bipod. Rifle and marksman capable of beter than 1/4" shot placement. I waited for it to look at me, and i shot at it dead on between the eyes. It fell like a ton of bricks. There was another deer almost in the shooting lane, so I decided to wait for it so I could hit it too. Meanwhile, deer 1 stood up all shaky, fell, stood up again and bounded off never to be seen again. I can only guess the bullet glanced off that long, ramped muzzle deer have, knocked the deer out, but didnt "brain" the deer like I was attempting to do.</div></div>

What caliber rifle and weight bullet were you using? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's shot placement - go for the neck. </div></div>

Exactly this ^^^. I shot a buck at the base of the brain skull/brain stem with a 30-06 at 40 yards. Dropped it like a rock. No movement, no kicking, no breathing, no life. Done.

All I had was a back of the head shot, so I took it.

So, to the videographer and poster of said video, I have a rifle that will drop a deer in its tracks with one shot.
grin.gif

shot placement matters, but with a 50BMG, it shouldn't

that was nuts, the thing had a hole size of a fist

USS New Jersey. 16"ers Anything living on Earth, 1 Shot & DONE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I took a headshot at a doe grazing in a beenfield at a range of 80 yards. I was prone with bag and bipod. Rifle and marksman capable of beter than 1/4" shot placement. I waited for it to look at me, and i shot at it dead on between the eyes. It fell like a ton of bricks. There was another deer almost in the shooting lane, so I decided to wait for it so I could hit it too. Meanwhile, deer 1 stood up all shaky, fell, stood up again and bounded off never to be seen again. I can only guess the bullet glanced off that long, ramped muzzle deer have, knocked the deer out, but didnt "brain" the deer like I was attempting to do. </div></div>

LOL

seriously?

What were you shooting? </div></div>

Yes, seriously. Rifle was my Savage 10FP in 308, shooting Federal Powershok 150gr, which always shot 1/2 MOA through that rifle. The rifle was well zeroed and wasn't just "grouping", it's point of aim and point of impact were one in the same at 100 yards.

Probably a freak accident where the physics worked out just right - I hope the deer wasnt mortally wounded - found no blood. I searched for two hours for that deer, then put up the rifle and got my dog and we came up empty...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's shot placement - go for the neck. </div></div>

I took a headshot at a doe grazing in a beenfield at a range of 80 yards. I was prone with bag and bipod. Rifle and marksman capable of beter than 1/4" shot placement. I waited for it to look at me, and i shot at it dead on between the eyes. It fell like a ton of bricks. There was another deer almost in the shooting lane, so I decided to wait for it so I could hit it too. Meanwhile, deer 1 stood up all shaky, fell, stood up again and bounded off never to be seen again. I can only guess the bullet glanced off that long, ramped muzzle deer have, knocked the deer out, but didnt "brain" the deer like I was attempting to do. </div></div>

Isn't the neck being a small vital zone kind of the point? You apply your fundamentals, and you take home a good harvest. You fail to apply the fundamentals, and you just scare off a deer.

I appreciate your story; I've found that I learn more from failure than from success. But this just emphasizes what I've suspected for years - straight on head shots on animals are generally not a good idea, so pick your shot. I'll even submit that, at the some of the ranges being called out here (< 100 yards) that a 22lr would be a suitable cartridge, based on ideal shot placement at the base of the skull. But that shot doesn't always present, so a cartridge with more power should be used. The 50 is not a rifle I'd reach for if hunting whitetail, but to each his own.

I wasn't aware there was a 50 bmg hollow point bullet out there?

The most humane area for bullet placement is the boiler house - the heart / lungs, sure if you get the shot right a head shot is good night Viennna but get it slightly wrong and there will potenitally be a deer with no bottom jaw and the prospect of a slow agonising death. Neck shots if vegetation cover dictates and the target is close enough but a bad head shot with the deer exiting stage right minus a proportion of it's face doesn't give anyone bragging rights does it ?
"I shot a great Whitetail buck at over 300yds dropped straight down cracking head shot" [Whilst thinking I'll keep quiet about the other seven which ran off 'cos I missed the critical area]

Be careful on head shots of shooting too low from an onside shot because you can just take out the lower jaw and leave the deer to die from starvation. That being said I have taken a lot of crop damage deer by passing a 130 grain piece of high velocity lead through the brain stem and that is lights out.

i fully agree that the neck is a small target. and that it's easy to unnecessarily hurt the animal: 'only' harm muscles, hit the jaw (-> starving), hit the throat (-> drowning on its own blood) ...

but you should know the vitals and know what you can do at a certain distance. if you know you can hit the neck (meaning - you know the location and know you can hit it), there is nothing wrong going for it.

summary:

if you know what you are doing, the neck can be an option (besides several others). and if done correctly, it will be a 'drop on the spot' event.

if you do not know what you are doing - keep the finger straight. there is no 'probably hit' approach in (respectable) hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nut job</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wasn't aware there was a 50 bmg hollow point bullet out there? </div></div>

My friend who has a 50BMG got some from a guy in MT. They are a standard HP with a rebated boat tail. They look like hammered ass with all kinds of handling dents but they shoot OK. I would say on par with gov. pull down AP. He showed me a pic on his cellphone of an antelope shot the long way and there was some serious damage. I only ever shot Hornady A-max when I had a 50 at game. That always seemed to work well for me.

Anyone who uses a 50 cal for deer needs to check themselves in a bad way........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wreck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my comment: Wow ur real pathetic u need a .50 cal to kill&#65279; a deer !!!!</div></div>

It does not take a belted magnum to kill todays smaller deer. Is it more fun than using a 308 winchester? Hell yes. Is it more fun to send a .510” bullet at deer? The answer is “WAY MORE FUN!” Back when I had a 50 I shot a few deer and antelope with it each of those kills were something that will stay with me forever.

I rarely ever insult a person directly on any forum. I am going to insult you directly. I have been all over Canada and for the most part Canadians are the best people to talk to. I have spent the night in more strangers houses in Canada that I would ever even think about doing in the US. With that being said the French Canada part sucks. You are part of why it sucks. What part of there is more than one way to do things do you not get? What makes what he did so bad? I would guess it is jealousy on your part. Probably can not get a 50 so you have to bash everyone else who has one. So is that deer any less dead if it was hit by a 30-06 or my pickup? The answer is no. Deer run can run after being hit. One of my friends fired something over 20rds from a 25-06 into a deer about 50ish yds away. He aimed all over it when shooting thinking maybe he bumped the scope with out knowing and the thing never dropped he stood up and it ran over 100yds. leaving a blood trail over a yard wide for most of the run. When he turned it over the whole far side was affectively gone. That was not the most ideal way of killing a deer but any of us would be hard pressed to fire that many rounds into anything and have it still able to run that far. With that being said this guys shot while not looking like the best shot in the world did what it was supposed to have done bring it down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I took a headshot at a doe grazing in a beenfield at a range of 80 yards. I was prone with bag and bipod. Rifle and marksman capable of beter than 1/4" shot placement. I waited for it to look at me, and i shot at it dead on between the eyes. It fell like a ton of bricks. There was another deer almost in the shooting lane, so I decided to wait for it so I could hit it too. Meanwhile, deer 1 stood up all shaky, fell, stood up again and bounded off never to be seen again. I can only guess the bullet glanced off that long, ramped muzzle deer have, knocked the deer out, but didnt "brain" the deer like I was attempting to do. </div></div> glad i dont hunt with idiots like this.I use a 243. my shots are behind front shoulder at less then 100 yards,they hit the ground before the gun recoils on me.I never ever had to look for a deer,and I shot more deer then most of you seen in books.make sure before you shoot is all im saying.

LOL

seriously?

What were you shooting? </div></div>

Yes, seriously. Rifle was my Savage 10FP in 308, shooting Federal Powershok 150gr, which always shot 1/2 MOA through that rifle. The rifle was well zeroed and wasn't just "grouping", it's point of aim and point of impact were one in the same at 100 yards.

Probably a freak accident where the physics worked out just right - I hope the deer wasnt mortally wounded - found no blood. I searched for two hours for that deer, then put up the rifle and got my dog and we came up empty...</div></div>

How do you know how many deer I "seen in books"?