• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Use of Spotting scopes in the field. need advice

Jack-O

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Montana
www.performanceammo.com
I've been wanting to get a decent spotting tool for field use. I really like the vortex HD 20-60, that thing is amazing glass and very smooth with all the right features, HOWEVER it is just HUGE!!

I cant imagine wanting to cart that thing all over hill and dale just because it's the perfect tool for the job.

What I want to know is if real active duty sniper/spotters actually use these types of scopes, of if they depend more on a smaller lower powered optic like maybe that Vortex 15x monocular with the mil scale or just a 10x binocular?

Any input on <span style="text-decoration: underline">non range</span> applications (where you have to hump all your gear) would be welcomed

thanks

Re: Use of Spotting scopes in the field. need advice

Get one with a mildot reticle. The Leupold Mark IV spotter is portable and provides a great image (but is costly). The reticle allows for ranging and very fast shot corrections at distance. The Leupold is very portable and light weight. There are cheaper scopes with mildots that you can also consider.

After using spotters with and without a reticle for LR shooting, I wouldn't even consider a scope without a reticle. I don't care how good they advertise the glass as being. It's much harder to call a shot correction accurately without the reticle. If you have mildot turrets, mildot scope reticle and mildot spotter then the entire spotting/shooting system is incredibly fast to make accurate hits.

I use a USO. It is perfect for me in hunting applications. It is basically a 15-40 scope with out windage and elevation adjustments. Reticle matches my scopes, manageable size and weight.

yep depending what i'm doin i carry a spotting scope, but usually if i'm setting up somewhere for a while. if we are just patrolling or whatever no i usually just use my rifle to spot, or i have some 10x binos. but yeah i have a kowa i carry or hopefully soon a vortex with reticle.

My shooting is varied I love going to the range and shooting and steel and paper. However, I also love hunting deer. I've already decided on using binos for hunting. However, when I go to the range, I have gotten pretty good a hitting the targets
from 100 - 1000 yds. And I want to start tightening up my groups. So I'm wondering what kind of Spotting scope is good for those purposes of seeing exactly where I hit at those extended ranges. I have a cheap A** bushnell 15-36x50 but I can see better through my leupold. So what is a good spotting scope for these purposes of seeing where I hit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B&W21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My shooting is varied I love going to the range and shooting and steel and paper. However, I also love hunting deer. I've already decided on using binos for hunting. However, when I go to the range, I have gotten pretty good a hitting the targets
from 100 - 1000 yds. And I want to start tightening up my groups. So I'm wondering what kind of Spotting scope is good for those purposes of seeing exactly where I hit at those extended ranges. I have a cheap A** bushnell 15-36x50 but I can see better through my leupold. So what is a good spotting scope for these purposes of seeing where I hit? </div></div>

Your not going to see bullet holes in paper with any typical spotter at those ranges.

More magnification is not always the answer either, but rather you need good quality optics with a large diameter objective which should give you the best resolution. Translated that means some thing like a top end Zeiss, Leica or Kowa with an 80mm objective or bigger. You will then need an eaqually good quality, heavy duty tripod to hold it. Mount it on a cheap skinny tripod, and you might as well be looking through a beer bottle.

A good spotter/tripod combination still won't let you see bullet holes in paper at 700m plus, so if thats your real goal, have a look at the threads on here for "targetcams" or work with a friend and set something up using radios so the spotter can be *alot* closer to the target and call your groups.

Regards,

Peter

I guess what I want to really know is "what do snipers use?"

-do they use a spotting scope and tripod and lug that stuff around?
-do they carry multiple types of optics?
-what does an auxillary optic need to do?

I'm lackin in my long game and dont know what I dont know yet. Training to follow shortly, but in the meantime, I could use some expert advice on WHAT I should be looking at and WHY

Thanks guys!!

like i said, i carry a pair of milling binos if i'm just patrolling along with my rifle, its always easier to hold up binos then your gun if there is little threat. if i'm laying up i carry a tripod and spotting scope or a camera with high power lense. spotting off a tripod is much easier then off a rifle.

A good rifle scope is all you need for the shooting, and as far as packing in, I think binos are the answer. Face it, when your shooting at extended ranges you can't see impacts on targets, you might be able to follow the bullet trace in your rifle scope, but that is of limited value. A heavy spotting scope is useful for a sniper team, but for an individual, it's too much gear. I love my USO spotter, but I don't really have a use for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jack-O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess what I want to really know is "what do snipers use?"</div></div>

Why, are you a sniper?

I'm not being a smart arse asking that, its just why worry what a sniper uses if you're not one. It makes more sense to analyse what you need from a spotter,and what usage it will get and then base your choice on that.

At this point you need to know that typically snipers operate in pairs, with one acting as a spotter. So unless you shoot as part of a pair with a good buddy, a single shooter is going to use a spotting scope differently to the spotter in a sniper team

But to answer your question, the Leupold Mark 4 12-40x60 Tactical Spotter is current issue to British Snipers and also to snipers the in many different units in the American military.
leupoldmk4spot5.jpg

I would say the major feature of this scope is that it includes a FFP reticule calibrated in Mils the same as the issue sniper rifles.

Prior to that, from WW2 to fairly recently, the US Military used various versions of the M49 with the M15 Tripod

This was a fixed 20x50mm spotter of basic design which lacks a reticule and most other frills.

From what I gather it was made by various contractors, and I have even heard of some being stamped with "Made in England" although I'm not aware they were issued to the British Army.
The same scope also appears in civvie guise as the "Argus" and I think B&L may have produced them as well?

i have no idea of the optical quality, but they strike me as very basic but robust. I've seen a few guys hankering after them on here, but apart from as collectors items, I have no idea why..

USO and the Zeiss Spotter 60 are also on issue to various Units and both have their pro's and cons..

Regards,

Peter

Since I can see trace, splash and ID targets with my riflescope I rarely carry a spotter to the field, and never on callouts.

I have a scope so that I can use it at times when pointing a rifle may not be a good idea (when folks are forward of the line) or when another shooter is on my rifle.

The great utility of the spotter was back in the day when we only had 10x riflescopes to work with.

Also remember that frequently the "spotter" is not necessarily a school trained sniper with a scoped rifle. When I was active we sometimes used our scouts as spotters. They carried M16A2's so those aren't the best for ID'ing targets.

Currently I use a Kruger Optical Lynx APR spotter. It's a boat anchor, but probably near indestructible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jack-O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess what I want to really know is "what do snipers use?"</div></div>

Why, are you a sniper?

I'm not being a smart arse asking that, its just why worry what a sniper uses if you're not one. It makes more sense to analyse what you need from a spotter,and what usage it will get and then base your choice on that.

</div></div>

LOL
grin.gif

Since my military days, I use mil spec as a starting point for my gear choices. Mil spec generally means it meet a robustness test that other optics may not have and that is one of my primary needs. Since these guys do this stuff all the time I figure they know a few things that I dont, thus if I can get inside thier head, I can use thier experience to add to my own needs.

Good post thank you.

You guys are all adding great information and Iam absorbing all of it. thank you all, keep em coming!