• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Use of Suppressors and Precision

jloehle

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 2, 2017
St. Simons Island. GA
I have a 6.5 Ultra Thunderbeast 7". Couple questions about using it on a rifle.

How do you keep it on and tight? I had a small local match that shot a couple stages back to back and later I found my suppressor was loose. I assume from the heat of firing. I had hand tightened as tight as I could get. I am using the TBAC brake that it attaches to.

Does taking off the suppressor between matches/firing sessions change the ballistics or harmonics of the rifle? Would it be better to leave it on all the time?

Do you need a different load developed just for suppressor firing? Does it change things enough for that? I understand it might have a different point of impact and different zero, but will the node be different?

Thanks,

Joe

That's a lot of questions.

I do not have a TBAC yet and my suppressor is DT, but I just check the suppressor periodically for snug fit. I leave mine on most of the time, but it should not affect you POI to remove it and replace it as long as you are consistent in your approach.

As to effect on load, you can only know how your load is affected by doing some actual checking, since there is no way for us to know what your load is nor how it shoots in your rifle nor whether you are in a solid node that will or will not be affected by the addition of the suppressor.

In my personal case, my .260 load did not have to be adjusted and the can actually worked as a tuner and tightened my groups somewhat. Your results may vary and only some minor checking can verify the effect.

Reactions: Sierra770
Get into the habit of checking your suppressor prior to each stage or every X rounds, or whatever you come up with. My Tbac ultra 7 6.5 used to come loose every 15-20 rounds, I got in the habit of checking it religiously. Now the threads have dirtied to the point of the thing, damn near, locks it’s self to the threads and my checking it seems like a nervous tic. Mine is a DT, which is just the brake loctited/glued in place, which really is here not there, they need to be checked periodically.

I haven’t noticed any appreciable poi change between taking it off and putting it on. I do it all the time, my sticks won’t fit in the bag or safe with the can on, so it comes off. That’s part of the beauty of investing in Tbac’s, we’re paying for that level of precision machining. As far as leaving it on all the time, I see that as more of a convenience type thing. Whatever works for you.

I shoot 100% suppressed myself, load development was done suppressed. I have noticed slight speed changes when my can was in jail and I only got conjugal visits when my dealer also went shooting. It wasn’t much, some where around a 20 FPS bump with the can on. Your mileage will vary, that’s something you’ll have to test. I’ve talked with guys who seen a bigger bump and some who saw no speed change at all.

As far as load changes with can on, can off, I haven’t seen anything one way or another. I could see if you were on the ragged edge of a node, it could be possible to push you out of it. I’m curious about that myself. I’ve typically shot better with the can on, which I’ve been taught has more to do with the sound/blast affect on the shooter than a mechanical affect on equipment.