• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

used Rem 700 action vs. new custom action

hillsidehog

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2012
I'm not clear on this so I ask for help...what do I gain buying an old Rem 700 for the action & then pay my Smith to true it & then fit it to my custom build per say too just buying a new custom action & having spent almost the same amount. Other than just having a true custom rifle.

Re: used Rem 700 action vs. new custom action

there is a topic exacually like this and here with alot of helpfull info on it its title is blueprinted 700 vs custom action i think

A 700 action has a ton of aftermarket accessories would be the advantage. The Custom Actions can cut a good bit of time off the build by not having to wait on the 700 smithing. Custom actions are also generally made from harder steel and have features like a short throw on the bolt etc... Custom actions usually run a bit more but they are built right the first time.

My custom rifle is a Blue Printed and Trued 700 action and it shoots very nice. I would do it is either way at this point as my only care is how it shoots in the end.

Yep lots of good info in that thread. I am also building my first custom gun and decided to go custom. I went with bighorn actions. They are a sponsor on here check them out.

Is it time to answer this question agian this week?

You gain nothing. A trued Rem can be brought up to the level of a custom action but unless you already have one (free or insanely cheap) the cost of buying and truing one will bring you almost to the level (probably) of a custom action but without the benefits of resale value and a warranty.

Thanks. .was just going to sit down after work & read through it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonely_Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3026718&page=all </div></div>

Very good read....
My 2c is if you can do it go custom. I've had a few Remington actions that I have had little to no $$$ in after I broke an older 700 down and sold off the parts. In that case the Remington is not a bad way to go. Comes down to $$$ and how fancy you want to get.

I figure I'm already going in on new parts..why stop at the action. It's hard for me to buy a gun and rob its action & junk or sell..usual end up as junk with my luck..just to rob it of its action. I could buy that gun & start my son off with it. & later in life he has that action to blueprint on his own project. Idk...I'm going with custom.

That other thread is good..don't know how I missed it in the beginning.

You could just get a Savage action, it's alot cheaper, doesnt need a lot of smithing work to be accurate, and barrel changes are easy.

I have both a 700 blueprinted 300wm rifle with kreiger barrel/timney trigger and a "Stock" Savage 308 that I didnt do a thing to.

Both rifles shoot consistant 1/8-1/4 groups.

Long story short, a rifle that I have alot of $$$ into shoots the same as my factory "Cheap" priced savage rifle.

Keep in mind, I may be very lucky, results may vary, even if you have a custom.

If you have even the perfect action, yet have a turd of a barrel, no matter what you do to the rifle, it will still shoot like poo.

I recommend. getting the best bang for the buck gear and getting plenty of good "correct way" trigger time.

You dont want to practice bad habbits.
I dont even recommend a very good trigger at first, you should learn how to control a heavy trigger accurately before going to a light better trigger.

I know plenty of people that punch triggers so they go to a light trigger and think they are fixing the problem when they are not fixing the problem at all, they start getting better groups, but their groups will never be great until they learn how to control the trigger and rifle"the correct way".

The number one problem with shooting good weather it be firearms/Archery or doing anything else in life is to get to the point that you are so consistant that even if you have crap gear that you can do well with it.

Once you get that down, then use top of the line gear and you will be great, without doing that, all that can be expected is nothing but average.