• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Using a “Tree” Reticle how much is too much?

Alpha Incog

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2012
Farmington, New Mexico
For those of you that have extensive experience utilizing holdovers for precision rifle matches is more reticle better for example H59/T3 vs EBR 7C/Gen 3XR/MPCT 3?

For example if you had a 7.3 Elevation and 2.7 wind hold needed would you feel you were “holding of in space” with a EBR 7C vs an H59’is/T3?

I like many enjoy using a scope with a cleaner or simpler reticle when time constraints aren’t imposed. I have experience with the H59 and T3 and as I get ready to purchase a new optic I question if I’ll make the Horus choice again. Not really looking to make a Horus vs the world debate, I’m more interested in how exactly the top shooters utilize or employ the cleaner tree reticles with less sub tensions quickly and precisely. Do you dial the tenths of the hold over the whole mil? I’m sure trigger time is the main criteria for improvement but I’d love to hear how you guys tackle multiple holdovers with wind under time considering the simpler reticles have horizontal references a full mill apart.

Hope that all makes sense! Don’t flame me I’m new to posting on the SH community!
i just sold my 5-25 PM II H59 as the click spacing / density was bothering me. Getting ready to buy another scope and want a reality check before I once again convince my self I’ll be out in the cold without all the sub tensions and wind dots of a Horus reticle.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Reactions: st748
Most shooters don't hold both elevation and wind at the same time unless we have too ie the stage is a no dial stage.

If the wind is pretty constant I may dial the wind and hold on the plate as necessary if it changes.

Most of thime, I am dialing the elevation and holding the wind accordingly.

Edit: I'm currently running the SB Gr2id reticle.

I like how easy it is to see the l through the grid. It's there if I need it though turn on some magnification.

Reactions: Alpha Incog
In a 2 day match, you may have 1 "broken scope" stage where they wont allow you to touch your scope once the beeper goes off. Those stages will never make you hold more than 3 mils from each other.

Say a target one is 5.9 and target two is 6.5 mils. You would dial 5.9 and hold 1.6 on the second target. I use to run tree reticle but I havent touched one this year and I haven't been held back at all.

Dialing the elevation and holding the wind would be my preference also. Do you only holdover if the stage is no dial or the wind is calm or consistent?

Depends on time and what the stage requires but most of time I am dialing the elevation and holding the wind. I rarely dial wind unless it's pretty constant and steady.

If time is really tight and I have multiple targets at various distances I may elect to dial for the middle target and hold the dope diff under for the close and over for the father but it just depends.

Very situation dependent

Reactions: Alpha Incog
I run Bushnells with G3 reticles, and I think they're a solid middle ground reticle for match use. Enough references to be able to hold accurately without getting too busy. I can hold down to .1 mil rather quickly, and down as low as .05 if I have a few seconds to really look at it and the target - but needing to go that fine is rare.

As others have said, I rarely hold for both elevation and wind, and the rare times I do it's usually at close enough ranges where the holds for either aren't large enough to be an issue. I'll add that I do dial wind on mover stages, but that's the only time I will dial for wind unless it's some kind of WAAAAY out there targets that I know I have a minimum wind baseline.

Depends on time and what the stage requires but most of time I am dialing the elevation and holding the wind. I rarely dial wind unless it's pretty constant and steady.

If time is really tight and I have multiple targets at various distances I may elect to dial for the middle target and hold the dope diff under for the close and over for the father but it just depends.

Very situation dependent
Good example, holding over on multiple targets is exactly what I’m trying to wrap my head around as far as wind holds. The main stadia will allow precise elevation holds but how the hell do you deal with that wind on all those holds if you’re in high wind, switching wind or hold farther off the main stadia as the targets are further out?

I run Bushnells with G3 reticles, and I think they're a solid middle ground reticle for match use. Enough references to be able to hold accurately without getting too busy. I can hold down to .1 mil rather quickly, and down as low as .05 if I have a few seconds to really look at it and the target - but needing to go that fine is rare.

As others have said, I rarely hold for both elevation and wind, and the rare times I do it's usually at close enough ranges where the holds for either aren't large enough to be an issue. I'll add that I do dial wind on mover stages, but that's the only time I will dial for wind unless it's some kind of WAAAAY out there targets that I know I have a minimum wind baseline.
Makes perfect sense thanks!

Say a target one is 5.9 and target two is 6.5 mils. You would dial 5.9 and hold 1.6 on the second target.
..... and a clean miss over the berm ! ;) I have done exactly this !

I do dial wind on mover stages, but that's the only time I will dial for wind
Same here... I would only dial wind on movers. I don't know if it is common, but the rare mover stage I shot had a much longer "wind confirmation" target at about double the range you had to shoot about half-way through. Thankfully, wind was not an issue that day!

I hold almost everything with my 260.
I kinda enjoy it at times.

Held 10.6 of elevation and 1.5 of wind and got a first round hit this morning.

I dial elevation with my 7 saum.

Reactions: st748