• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using a ballistic app to choose the best sighting distance

Photobug

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2021
Jackson, WY
I am trying to sight in new 9mm carbine, a 7.7" barrel CZ Scorpion. Most of the shooting will be at the pistol range shooting 8" plates out to 25 yards, but I want to find a magic sighting range that gives me the best average POA=POI out to 50 yards. I am using Geo Ballistics to estimate the best sighting range.

I used the app to plug in random distances and found 40-50 yards worked best for all the variables I changed up, temps, sight height, etc. At first I used current temps 10 degrees, and got one best sight distance, then plugged in standard temp, 59 degrees and got a better results at a different distance. I am looking for suggestions, on how to use a ballistic app to make the most of my sighting in different temps.

Is the initial set up of the rifle in an app based on STP (Standard Temp and Pressure 59f, 29.92, sea level)? Then the charts based on differences in density altitude from STP?

If the basic assumption is a rifle is set up at STP, how can you factor in sighting in a rifle at 20f and at 6,000 feet?