• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using a FL bushing die in conjunction with a mandrel die

Gregor.Samsa

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 4, 2019
    NorCal
    Pardon my ignorance here. If I were to size my brass using a Redding bushing die, but use the Sinclair mandrel to size and set neck tension, would I just size the brass with the bushing and expander ball removed from the die? Is the bushing required for the shoulder bump?
    Thank you

So will this process swage the doughnut to the out side of the neck?

Last edited:
    I’m hoping there will be no donut if the bushing is not being implemented!
    You still need a bushing. Bushing dies usually don't size 100% of the neck. Shoulder bump is going to be from how far down you screw the die in. I go for 2 thou bump and I use a -3 thou bushing so I can test with -2 or -1 thou mandrels but I usually get good enough results with -1 thou that I don't try the -2.

Reactions: Gregor.Samsa
    That makes sense. I actually began thinking about how tension could be restored without the bushing. thanks for everyone's advice, I'm new to this.

That makes sense. I actually began thinking about how tension could be restored without the bushing. thanks for everyone's advice, I'm new to this.
    You do want to take out the expander ball in the die though, Redding dies usually have a little nubbin thing to replace the expander ball that allows you to keep the decapping pin in without touching the necks.

If its a Redding Full Length bushing die, you screw the die down to where it bumps the shoulder the amount you want then lock it with a ring..step 2, you use a bushing size that will squeeze the neck down .004 under loaded neck diameter.. then you use the mandrel to open it back up .002 so you have a final neck tension of .002...

You will have to try a few different bushing sizes that give you that .004 under loaded because of spring back, neck wall thickness, etc unless you already did that and know what bushing size to use..

Pardon my ignorance here. If I were to size my brass using a Redding bushing die, but use the Sinclair mandrel to size and set neck tension, would I just size the brass with the bushing and expander ball removed from the die? Is the bushing required for the shoulder bump?
    Thank you
    This process is not correct , you must use the bushing.
    The way I read it is the bushing is installed and the expander ball is removed. May not be what he meant.