• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Using a mil-dot at half power

AeroEngi

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I wasn't sure where to put this topic and I did a search but couldn't find anything. Let's say for example, I have SFP scope with max magnification of 20x but I want to use the mil-dots at 10x, is there a way of compensating for the power? Can I multiply or divide by 2 (20/10 = 2) to get the correct mil reading? Hope you guys understand my question.

Thanks.

Re: Using a mil-dot at half power

Finding your half power is the first step. What your mag ring says is your half power may not be correct. You would need to map it out to find your true half power.

Assuming your mag ring indicates your correct half power, what would you do then?

Frank beat me to it,

When working on your half power take your mil reading and then just double it and continue with your formula.

But I would be sure to find my true half power first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But I would be sure to find my true half power first.</div></div>Yup. And I would make sure that my reticle subtends properly against the hard stop before I even do that.

I think I'm confused now. Some of the guys are saying you have to double the mil reading for ranging/hold-over and some are saying you have to half it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AeroEngi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I'm confused now. Some of the guys are saying you have to double the mil reading for ranging/hold-over and some are saying you have to half it... </div></div>
<span style="font-size: 17pt">
BAM!!!</span> and there you have the true argument for FFP!! I had to stop and think about the mechanics of that and would have missed my shot already.

To answer your question-both. Double the mil reading you get, <span style="font-weight: bold">or</span> half the distance you get ranging with what you see.
An object that mils 1000yds (say a 36 inch plate) at a nominal 20X will mill as 2000yds at 10X (the same 36" plate will read as 1/2 mil instead of 1 mil

Actually just take a yardstick out, and at a measured 100yds mark on the power ring where your scope reads a true mil, 2 mils per graduation, etc....then use that instead of relying on keeping it straight in your head.

I've even seen NF scopes with teh 2moa reticles with the dials marked up for where they are mils.

That's the fun of understanding the math behind it all. When using 2FP reticles, reticle subtension is inversely proportional to magnification (assuming the power ring is correctly cald.), as u INCREASE power, reticle subtension DECREASES.

For my uses as a hunter and just playing around u can substitute any reticle subtension (from simple plex to Ballistic Plex) into the "mil-ranging formula" and still apply it like a mil-dot for rangefinding.

We'll be doing that with a buddies optic this week for antelope hunting as a backup to the laser.

Not everybody can shoot with a FFP reticle. I myself cannot. It appears to float to my eye. I can't explain it but they don't work for me.

I do this all the time with SFP and it's not that complicated. If I'm using an NXS with an MLR reticle I set the power on 1/2 and the halves become wholes. My scopes are all 5.5-22x and I generally do all my shooting at 11x anyway.

And the ones become twos.

That's all there is to it, no more complicated than that.

The only caveat is that you have to make damn sure you know where that power ring is set when you get on the gun.

--Fargo007

Thanks for all the advice you guys!

So let me get this straight, let's say for example, I need 2 mils of hold-over at 20x but I want to shoot at 10x. Does that mean that I would hold-over at 1 mil when at 10x?

Yes--remember decrease power, increase reticle subtension.

That's why looking back now, I should have gotten the MLR reticles on my NF scopes. I only have one MLR. The mildots are nice, but when you need to be at a smaller magnification, there is nothing to half the mil. It makes it a bit more challenging, but can be done.

I agree DesertHK.

I went with MLR's across the board except for my newly acquired 2.5-10x32 which has the dots. I do plan on shooting that at 10x all the time though.

The hashes are (mentally) easy to define any way you want to, but the mildots are..... mildots. It's harder to think of them as two mils apart than it is with the hashes of the MLR.

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree DesertHK.

I went with MLR's across the board except for my newly acquired 2.5-10x32 which has the dots. I do plan on shooting that at 10x all the time though.

The hashes are (mentally) easy to define any way you want to, but the mildots are..... mildots. It's harder to think of them as two mils apart than it is with the hashes of the MLR.

--Fargo007

</div></div>

Agreed. I would love the hashes like the hashes on the TMR for the mark 4 scopes but the only problem is I have trouble seeing the reticle in low light and dark targets, that's why I went with the mil-dot instead. To me, it's more important to be able to see the reticle. What's the point of a reticle if you can't see it?

And that's why I prefer scopes with a Precision Reticles Gen II mildot, which has both dots and hashmarks at the half-mil point. Patented, alas, and NF can't use it without a license.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like an illuminated reticle would be wise upgrade for you not just different reticle. </div></div>

I would love the illuminated reticle but I can't justify the extra cost for it. I'm perfectly fine with the mil-dot since I've been using them for years, but it would be nice to have those half mil hashes.

You guys are making this to complicated.

Don't adjust your results, just remember that at half power, the space between the mildots is 2 mils instead of one...nothing else changes.

An obect that is mildot to mildot on full power will be mildot to half mil on half power...still one mil.

Holds are the same. If you need to hold a mil, at. Full power, it will be dot to dot, at half power, it will be dot to half.

Clear as mud?

Yeah, I use a FFP scope, BTW.