• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using a previously bedded stock....I searched for days.

kRcu

Minuteman
Jun 5, 2013
Denver, CO
I recently traded for a Manners T4 that has already been bedded for a 700 action. I have always had chassis so the bedding is a new thing to me. I understand that bedding mates the stock to the specific action that was bedded in it. I understand that custom actions may have less of a problem due to spec being closer than mass produced 700's.

My question comes from hearing people say that reusing bedding can add too much torque to a part of the action and I wondered if this will be apparent from setting the action in the stock. Example, noticing a high point that cants the action or something similar.

I am curious because several people suggest shooting it, as is, to see how the accuracy is. I just don't want to damage my action. If there is a fitment issue, will it be obvious when I set the action in the stock?

I will skim bed it regardless, after shooting it.

You wont damage your action. What you might do is STRESS or as stated above TORQUE your action if the bedding doesnt quite fit. That is nothing new, some rifles are screwed down into a stock that doesnt quite fit the reciever right from the factory. People shoot them like that all the time. It certainly cant help accuracy. If you are using a Remington 700, you need to be aware that the barrel lug may sit at a slightly different angle on your rifle from the original rifle. This will be evident when you try your action in the bedded stock. You may have to cut some clearance for your lug. Still, if it slips in you should be OK. I would go ahead and try it. It might surprise you.

I'd try it out as is. I bed my own and I am always swaping things around, barreled actions, stock and optics. I have yet to run into issues when moving a barreled action from one stock to another but YMMV.